Painting a silicone mask. Is there a time limit and other questions.

Egon Spengler

Master Member
I'm gearing up to cast a mask in silicone. I'll need to seam it and I'll need to paint it. My question is, do you have to immediately paint the mask, or can you work on it over a week, or even a month? I've seen some people on youtube claim you need to paint it right away.

Thanks. Also I'm not going to tint the base silicone. I don't want to accidentally tint it too dark. I'd rather just have it be it's standard color and then just paint on it. Is that a bad idea?

I'm going to highly recommend the video course at Stan Winston online school "Platinum Silicone Mask Painting" by Jamie Grove. He takes you through the process very carefully. I luckily watched this course before painting my first silicone cast and ended up with very good results. I would have completely ruined the painting if I hadn't seen the course first.

There is also a Stan Winston course "Silicone Mask Making" where Immortal Masks molds and casts a silicone mask. They show how to tint the base silicone before casting so it isn't too dark.

It is super helpful to watch a professional go through the process in real time.

Good luck!

I'm going to highly recommend the video course at Stan Winston online school "Platinum Silicone Mask Painting" by Jamie Grove. He takes you through the process very carefully. I luckily watched this course before painting my first silicone cast and ended up with very good results. I would have completely ruined the painting if I hadn't seen the course first.

There is also a Stan Winston course "Silicone Mask Making" where Immortal Masks molds and casts a silicone mask. They show how to tint the base silicone before casting so it isn't too dark.

It is super helpful to watch a professional go through the process in real time.

Good luck!
Thank you!!

It´s better to paint it right away after thorough cleaning with IPA or similar. You can get adhesion problems if not.
If not (if you wait), what I do is to wash the casting with heptane and paint right a way.
In this case I also heat a little the casting before painting which aids ashesion too, kicks faster on the piece.
I like to tint the silicone. If you will be airbrushing take in account it would be more like glaze paint, washes, not opaque color, so achieving a color base will need more layers.

It´s better to paint it right away after thorough cleaning with IPA or similar. You can get adhesion problems if not.
If not (if you wait), what I do is to wash the casting with heptane and paint right a way.
In this case I also heat a little the casting before painting which aids ashesion too, kicks faster on the piece.
I like to tint the silicone. If you will be airbrushing take in account it would be more like glaze paint, washes, not opaque color, so achieving a color base will need more layers.
Thanks! :D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back