paint for mask :)

juiceredrum

hello all,

another question for my knowledgeable community....(Guan thwei)lol paint, wheres a good place to get paint and brands , do you have to use only latex based paint or paint that flexs right ?just double checking me and my buddy joe need some tips we are both about to get our raw mask are there any alternatives thanks again

thanks alex

hello all,

another question for my knowledgeable community....(Guan thwei)lol paint, wheres a good place to get paint and brands , do you have to use only latex based paint or paint that flexs right ?just double checking me and my buddy joe need some tips we are both about to get our raw mask are there any alternatives thanks again

thanks alex

Hia Are you going to use it as a mask or will you be foamfilling the whole thing for display only ?

Maybe this information is useful for a latex mask because of the latex's surface properties you want a flexible pigment to paint with , this all but excludes a spray can or house hold paint, due to the fact that paint dries rigid. Unfortunately, also, your standard artist watercolor paint will not cover the latex color properly for you to use it or wear it. So, my best bet would be go with latex paint because you are painting a latex mask pretty simple. As far as brands I can't name off any because with many paint companies there are too many.
Good Luck!

Maybe this information is useful for a latex mask because of the latex's surface properties you want a flexible pigment to paint with , this all but excludes a spray can or house hold paint, due to the fact that paint dries rigid. Unfortunately, also, your standard artist watercolor paint will not cover the latex color properly for you to use it or wear it. So, my best bet would be go with latex paint because you are painting a latex mask pretty simple. As far as brands I can't name off any because with many paint companies there are too many to name.
Good Luck!

hmmmmm......i mean i understand the principal of what your saying ......what not to use but, and this may sound stupid
but what paint should i use .....::shrugs::

Guan - have you painted latex before? What kind of latex paint did you use?
Me and my Dad was painting a latex mask for a costume one year for halloween, but I can't remember what paint we had used. He was telling me about the way different paints are used for either wood, plastic, latex, and so on. My Dad was the kind of DIY guy in the household.
hmmmmm......i mean i understand the principal of what your saying ......what not to use but, and this may sound stupid
but what paint should i use .....::shrugs::
I did find some info that might help called "Painter´s Touch Multipurpose Latex Paint". This should be able to help with your painting

Me and my Dad was painting a latex mask for a costume one year for halloween, but I can't remember what paint we had used. He was telling me about the way different paints are used for either wood, plastic, latex, and so on. My Dad was the kind of DIY guy in the household.

I did find some info that might help called "Painter´s Touch Multipurpose Latex Paint". This should be able to help with your painting

thanks man , i also found some latex paints at monster makers too

You can also mix Prosaide with acrylic paints. It can be thinned with water and can be used with an airbrush. You will need to play with the mix to get the right consistency but it works. I painted my costume with this mix and it is holding up pretty good. Just make sure you prime the piece with Prosaide to give the paint something to stick to. There are other methods out there as well. Check around the board, there are plenty of Huntorials on this.

Acrylic paints like Createx or craft paints mixed with a little latex. You can use the mold builder latex found at most craft and hobby stores. You can use prosaide instead of latex if you want. Make sure to wash,rinse and dry the mask or wipe it down with acetone before painting to make sure theres no oils,dirt or powder on it that will make the paint not stick well.

Other options are acryilc ink mixed with alcohol and rubber cement mixed with oil paint and thinned with hexane,betine or mineral spirits. If using the rubber cement method use in well vetilated area and wear a respirator as its quite toxic. It is a great method of painting rubber though since it is a glue for rubber and bonds well to it. It will need to be top coated with something like perma wet though so the rubber doesnt stick to itself.

Acrylic paints like Createx or craft paints mixed with a little latex. You can use the mold builder latex found at most craft and hobby stores. You can use prosaide instead of latex if you want. Make sure to wash,rinse and dry the mask or wipe it down with acetone before painting to make sure theres no oils,dirt or powder on it that will make the paint not stick well.

Other options are acryilc ink mixed with alcohol and rubber cement mixed with oil paint and thinned with hexane,betine or mineral spirits. If using the rubber cement method use in well vetilated area and wear a respirator as its quite toxic. It is a great method of painting rubber though since it is a glue for rubber and bonds well to it. It will need to be top coated with something like perma wet though so the rubber doesnt stick to itself.

ah ha should have went to the source from the start thanks man , im gonna get some latex base coat from monster makers and the primary acrylic colors and thats what im doing thank you brother

my approach is the prosaide one. but i used FW inks, as far as i know it's the same way Usurper goes with. but if i had the money i would try some monstermakers paints.
"any old latex based paint" is something i wouldn't try on a mask, would try that on an off cut or something. and my first mask i painted in Games Workshop paints mixed with latex and water through an airbrush and that came out ok too, would only crack if stretched, the normal flex of a mask didn't affect it

I personally wash my masks with warm soapy water, then they get a payer of PROSAIDE ADHESIVE.

i then use straight INKS onto the mask, every now and again i check the mask is still sticky, if it is not, i give another layer of prosaide, i have a really cheapo airbrush from fleabay for the prosaide, which has to be cleaned after every use.

I personally wash my masks with warm soapy water, then they get a payer of PROSAIDE ADHESIVE.

i then use straight INKS onto the mask, every now and again i check the mask is still sticky, if it is not, i give another layer of prosaide, i have a really cheapo airbrush from fleabay for the prosaide, which has to be cleaned after every use.

hey bro thanks for the info i like using inks in other works inks really fill in the details right when i use them in minatures
i would really like to apply that to the mask so are you saying after you prep and wash the mask you just coat with pros-aide then just use another sprayer with straight inks ? your work is prestine man i would be happy if i could come close
i know i dont play on the same field , lol but ive been watching from the grandstand and its my shot at bat ;)

yeah thats pretty much it, straight ink on top of prosaide, just check every now and again to make sure the mask is still tacky, when if not i spray another thin layer of prosadie over the mask, prosaide goes clear in a few mins then its sticky

good luck ;)

I wash my latex parts with warm light soapy water. I put a mixture of transparent or opaque base (depending on color choices) and permawet (6:1) down first. I sparay createx paints right out of the bottle. I put a drop of permawet in the cup first then the paint then another drop of permawet. A little stir with a toothpick and thats it. No need for prosaide or latex in my expieriences. The permawet or createx gloss clear adds the flexible element the paint needs. Just my 2 cents.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back