Owen Grady Knife / Leatherman

Frybo

This is a project I tried to finish for more than five years (!) now. I learned making Kifes and tooling leather for it and spent WAY more than I ever anticipated!
It is a Replica of Knife and Leatherman the Character Owen Grady wore in the first "Jurassic World" Movies from 2015. Back then I still cared about the franchise and I remember vividly how I came out of the theatre wanting his costume and especially this kick-ass knife XD!

I went so far as to write the original maker for the knifes in the Movie Mr. Steve Auvenshire to get tipps on how he made it. I then tried and failed a LOT and spent like three times the amount of money than I had if I only bought one directly from him (which was arounf 500 Dollars + whatever the sheath was at the time).
By now I'm super done with the franchise but I'm still into the Knife itself so I recently finished mine - I did some more for friends of mine because why not? By now I know how to make it so lets share...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    920.9 KB · Views: 254
In case somebody is interested in the process:
1. I researched the Original and made a cutform in what I assume was the correct size (see attachement)
2. I than had it cut with water out of CNS steel 1.4034 in 3.5mm thickness
3. I had it sharpened and hardened by a professional because I don't have the abilities to do so myself
4. I got myself two pieces of maple wood (curly) for the handles
5. I got myself some Mosaic Pins (I used some that are different from the original because I find these a bit boring)
6. Put everything together with glue, grind and polish, polis, polis until it has the right feeling
7. I corrodet the maple so it gets those stripes as seen in the movie. I was told by Mr Auvenshire that he made his that way. After a bit research I came to a produt called Aquafortis which I rubbed into the wood and than heated it up with an airdryer and a blow torch
8. cleaning and oiling the finished product
9. Make my own sheath with buffalo leather (see attachement)

I made much more mistakes than I care to share but this was in a nutshell my solutions I arrived at.

Attachments

• Owen_Grady_Knife_Preview_Size.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 125
  • Owen_Grady_Knife_Sheath.pdf
    871.4 KB · Views: 139
Here we see the how I rough-cut the maple to an approximate form and glued it on the steel before glueing the Mosaic Pins in the holes. The other knife is exactly the same exept that I used a different wood as it was a present and the receiver asked for this.
9.jpg

Here we can see the two knifes after I grinded and polished them (not perfect but after like three days I had to leave good enough alone)
8.jpg

This is how the maple grip looks after I used the Aquafortis on it. I first thought I may need some colouring too but it turned out the reagent was enough to achieve the "tiger"-effect that was seen in the movie.
7.jpg

I made another Knife for myself before which didn^t turn out quite that good. I liked it very much tough like every object I make by hand. unfortunately, the sheath was too lose tough and after a while it slipped out without me noticing and got lost. I wouldn't make THIS mistake again so I thought: "what can I do to avoid the knife slipping out again?". I toyed with ideas like making the leather tighter or adding a blockage but this didn't seem an elegant enough solution. Than I remembered one of the most amazing things in the world: magnetism!
Unfortunately, I couldn't find much information with "sheath + magnetism" so I had to come up with a solution myself. What I came up with was this:

4.jpg

Here we see the different parts I cut from Buffalo leather (not original like in the movie but close enough and I just love to work with it). Than I bought ten little magnets which turned out to be extremely strong as one single of those could actually carry the weight of the knife by itself - but better be safe than sorry so I used all of them in the end :)
I cut holes in the bottom part of the sheath and placed them inside. They always jumped out because they were attracting each other but it finally worked anyway!

Than I placed a thin sheet of kangoroo leather I had laying around on top so the magnet wouldn't be ripped out and sewed it together with the side and the top.

I highly recommed this solution because the effect is perfect for me: I can easily draw it with one hand but it stays inside the sheath as long as i just carry it around.

This is so far my contribution to this project. Maybe it helps somebody who has the same or a similar object. If anybody is interested I could also find fotos about the leathercase of the Leatherman. It is like five years since I finished that one tough so I wont make the effort exept somebody requests it...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back