Outland Io Refinery Tower Original Model

aliensarchive

Sr Member
This is a cool piece from the 1981 Sean Connery movie 'Outland'. It is 2 foot tall with the original fiber optics still installed. To my knowledge it is the only surviving piece of the refinery model.

OL-Model-3-sm.jpg Refinery-Model-6.png

I would like some advice on replacing the missing pieces to this. It is missing a lot of the channel pieces (25 x 6 mm).

OL-Model-1-sm.jpg

Some large pieces repeated throughout are missing near the fiber optics (camera side).

7-sm.jpg

OL-Model-4-sm.jpg

And some other details (circled)

OL-Model-6-sm.jpg

The kit part at the very top of that image is from the Airfix Space Shuttle, it's the RCSs from the nose.

Can you post a pic from the other side? To me they look like the storage boxes on the side of a tank.

OK I just found what I think is the piece you're looking for (hopefully). It's from the MPC R2-D2 and it's the boxes that go inside his body for the 'tools'
I don't have the pieces, but I was looking over the R2 kit for some other bits and spotted it on the instructions: (Part 14)
MPC R2D2_Scan0005-vi.jpg

OUTLAND 9 copyright.jpg

Here is a photo graciously donated by Martin Bower which shows the tower on the left of picture. This is the refinery in it's original paint job, with lovely weathering, before someone over-painted it with thick white paint.
This would tend to confirm it is from 'Outland'.

Martin was unable to comment about it's use in 'Aliens', as he did not work on that project.

Other photos from behind the scenes of Outland, and many other productions, are on Martin's site

http://www.martinbowersmodelworld.com/

This photo is in color for the RPF.
The version on Martin's site is in monochrome.

Jim

Last pic is tamiya 8 rad

These are parts of an ABS construction set. Martin got them from E.M.A models, then near Shepperton studios.
ABS Plastic

Top one is KBJ-10, and underneath that (with the bump) is KW-12.

The kit part at the very top of that image is from the Airfix Space Shuttle, it's the RCSs from the nose.

I'm sorry, but I'm still pretty new around here so this type of support and openness still blows me away.

Not long ago, if someone would have told me there was a forum on the web where people will help identify single pieces of a prop from obscure model kits, and that some of the actual designers/builders will chime in with help as well, I'd have punched them in the mouth for spreading such obvious flimflammery.

Y'all Rule! :thumbsup

- JD

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back