Original Ray Gun

Thanks for all the great comments, already working on my next Ray Gun! Also looking as making a handheld sonic screwdriver-esque device. Here's a quick sketch of what I was thinking... Any ideas to make it better?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181015/a782f1ec9950721232052e2237c01d11.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Got a couple of new sketches for the Ray knife/screwdriver/device type thing... I think I prefer it. If you're wondering why both have the same basic shape it's because I'm starting off with a machined piece of brass that I had after some training; I thought the weight and brass colour would work for retro Ray gun style. Which should I go for? I'm liking the whole shark fin vibe so far
76f2906d04ee1dbc84eb9866d293edf1.jpg
17026553415e11da02cc3f788cdef226.jpg

Definitely liking the shark fin design a lot. Marrying the sonic screwdriver type tool to a retro diesel punk design is certainly intriguing. How do you plan on doing the glass/radio tube components?

Definitely liking the shark fin design a lot. Marrying the sonic screwdriver type tool to a retro diesel punk design is certainly intriguing. How do you plan on doing the glass/radio tube components?
For the glass/ radio tube parts I found a set of car bulbs of varying shapes and sizes, a couple of which would be perfect size for this. I'll post a pic of them when I can. I'll post a pic of the the brass part that I will use as a base too so that people can suggest their own designs if they have any cool ideas.

So here's the pics of the piece of brass I'm using as the base, I don't have a metal lathe at home so for the most part it has to stay how it is; plus its super heavy and should feel really nice when it's done. I've also got the car bulbs to use in place of radio tubes, and just a metal cone used for piping icing. I'm going to start drawing up some more detailed designs but if anyone has any good ideas I'd love to hear them
41845d12a54e5f6f3fa23d14af7df732.jpg
f136dcd7f89a2fdd5ee12dc98a6ca1e2.jpg
c7d6b4f6b3aa06d4540d2190f2ea71f8.jpg

WIP 001.jpg

This is my current project. I attached the fin a few days ago, giving the glue and the putty time to set. I'm thinking of doing an overall red color on it. Still deciding on whether to keep the barrel piece clear or paint it to match the body. I'm definitely going to retain the chrome on the other barrel piece. Any thoughts?

View attachment 849685

This is my current project. I attached the fin a few days ago, giving the glue and the putty time to set. I'm thinking of doing an overall red color on it. Still deciding on whether to keep the barrel piece clear or paint it to match the body. I'm definitely going to retain the chrome on the other barrel piece. Any thoughts?
It looks great! I think the clear part looks cool, what I'm doing for my next Ray Gun is to have a clear section but place a part behind it painted brass colour to look like the inner workings... I thought about light too but not quite there yet!
Looking forward to seeing yours finished though, it's amazing how much a simple fin brings the whole piece together!

I did the clear component on this piece, so I wasn’t sure if I wanted to repeat it on this project. The piece I’m using is more translucent so I wouldn’t get much ‘pop’ on the interior details.
Good point. Might be best going for a weathered metal finish. Maybe even try adding heat discourloring, I know there are some great tutorials around; I haven't tried it yet thought my airbrush skills aren't quite up to scratch!

So here's a first test piece of the Ray gun screwdriver just using some balsa wood and blu tack; just to test how my hand will fit and where I'll need to place any buttons/triggers. I think it's going to look pretty good once I work out what I'm going to do at the business end.
af8ad084d942d265024bae5047152f3c.jpg
e28686c79766fa23b5761aaf3d6af694.jpg

Oh man, I love this stuff! Your color scheme is on point. Although I'm a little bias...

https://i.imgur.com/sL13A1Q.jpg

And this was my first attempt at an original...

https://i.imgur.com/Jw7vw6r.jpg

Although I now really want to repaint it retro colors.
Both of these look great! I really want to get a Dr Grordbort original and do a new paint job on it. The original looks awesome too; all I do now whenever I see something I think "would that look cool on a Ray gun?" and the answer is usually yes haha! Great work! Can't wait to see more.

Both of these look great! I really want to get a Dr Grordbort original and do a new paint job on it. The original looks awesome too; all I do now whenever I see something I think "would that look cool on a Ray gun?" and the answer is usually yes haha! Great work! Can't wait to see more.

Thanks mate. Yeah customizing a Manmelter is really fun and I highly recommend it. If you do, make sure you tag in Greg Broadmore (@fatboss on instagram) as he loves seeing these customs and had very nice things to say when I posted mine.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice guns guys. Here was my entry to the contest that was on here ages ago, Forgot how much fun I had building it . There were a lot of awesome entries. Too bad most pics are gone now.

View attachment 851334

Amazing!!! Those customs were mind-blowing! You guys are so blimmin talented. Great job!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back