My DIY Dr. Grordbort's Raygun Replica

DaveG

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm a big fan of the Dr. Grordbort's Infallible Aether Oscillator rayguns designed by Greg Broadmore and released by Weta Workshops. They are a wonderful blend of mechanical obsurdity and sillynesss. My favorite was the F.M.O.M. Industries Wave Disrupter Gun. Unfortunately I was unable to obtain one of these fine weapons when they were available so I have resorted to the next best thing. Using my matter replication device (3D printer) to create one of my own!

The first step was to create the raygun as a 3 dimensional model using Rhino modeling software. Here are a couple of views of the work in progress:

Next step was to break the model down into printable parts. a few of the parts, like the fin, will be laser cut and some of the finer details made in metal.

Not it's off the the laboratory to start printing!

spoudastis

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Can't wait to see this, based on your previous work this is going to be an awesome build!

Sean

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This Is going to be good. iv'e liked those also. nice work Dave...

DaveG

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
A dry test fit of the 3D printed parts.

Rather than 3D print the parts with the rivets already in place they'll be added to the piece using real rivets. Here some aluminum rivets are being glued into the ball that goes on the barrel.

The parts were given a thorough sanding with 220 wet-n-dry sandpaper to knock down surface irregularities and high spots in the print lines. The PLA plastic used for 3D printing doesn't sand very well, it gets kind of gumby, so most of the smoothing work will be done with heavy coats of primer surfacer. Actually, the Dr. Grodbort's rayguns have a very heavily textured surface which I'll be creating with a special texturing primer, so I'm not too worried about getting the surface too smooth to start with. Here the parts have been given a couple good heavy coats of a lacquer based automotive primer.

nomuse

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Eyow! For some reason I particularly like the "stack of leather grommets" handle.

DaveG

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I decided to try Smooth-on's XTC-3D epoxy coating to smooth and fill the surface on some of the printed parts. Overall it works pretty well, though I'm not sure it's really any better than using several coats of a Hi-Solids spray primer. It does tend to fill in details a bit.

These pics were taken after the epoxy had fully hardened. The body shell on the right has been wet sanded.

Sean

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Looking good Dave! do you have an ETA on finished. really looking forward to see this done.:thumbsup

DaveG

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Looking good Dave! do you have an ETA on finished. really looking forward to see this done.:thumbsup
Thanks. No ETA. It'll be done when it's done! But it is one of only a couple of projects on the bench right now so hopefully I'll get it done soon. Stay tuned!

Doppelganger01

Hi Dave,

I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. You've done a fantastic job! I look forward to seeing it's progression.

Rick