Original Model 7 4x20 scope (telescopic sight) found part.

intwenothor

Original Model 7 4x20 scope (telescopic sight).

I don’t post here very often (check my post count:$) mainly through not having much very constructive to add. I spend most of my time on TDH as my present interests lie there. In my quest to build a complete ESB EE3 (as part of a complete Boba) I did a lot of research on scopes for that weapon. During the course of that research I came across the Model 7 but found there was a severe lack of information available about it. Hopefully this post will alter that to some degree. If this information has already been made available then please let me know and I will delete. I couldn't find it!

Please accept my advance apologies if the information contained herein appears less complete that my TDH post on EE3 scopes as this information was acquired incidentally and as a by-product of the other research; it was never my goal or intention but is presented here as it may be of use to others. Some of the information and images from my TDH post are reproduced exactly in this post to give terms of reference regarding parts. Factual corrections are welcome, as always.

EE3 Scope research is here:
Blaster EE3 Vintage scopes and scope ring types

The Model 7 is the scope used on the Chewbacca Bowcaster and the Dr Evazan Blaster; pictures, that I don’t own and thus haven’t reproduced, even clearly show the scope markings on the Evazan Blaster. Check the excellent Parts of Star Wars site for the illustration showing these markings (I’m guessing you’ll know that anyway).

What on Earth does Original mean?

One of the biggest unanswered questions appears to be concerning what ‘Original model 7’ signifies. I have read various theories concerning what Original means or could reference that include but are not limited to these two most popular:

Original means it was original to the rifle or weapon it came from i.e. ‘The Original scope’.

That it was from a Model 7 Remington and thus can be traced there…..

Neither is correct. To put it quite simply ‘Original’ is the brand; I say simply but unfortunately it isn’t that simple. ‘Original’ as a brand is in fact a rebranding of the ‘Diana’ brand. Exactly why it was rebranded is not completely clear but I have read that it may have been the case that ‘Diana’ was not available for licensing reasons or that the German ‘Diana’ brand was intentionally rebranded to avoid British post war anti German sentiment. Either is possible I suppose. Below is a Picture of an ‘Original’ Model 50 air rifle (complete with Original Model 7 4x20). This rifle is identical to the ‘Diana’ Model 50 air rifle. I am not able to confirm whether Diana ever sold this rifle with this scope or if this model of scope has been sold under the Diana brand but there is a precedent in the 'El Gamo Rangemaster rifle' and scope which was sold as a unit with a scope that was rebranded, albeit perhaps for different reasons, as the ASI Rangemaster and scope. The scope on the Gamo and ASI rangemaster is the ASI 4x20 we all know and love.

Original-Model-50-A82699_zpse4d5e76a.jpeg

Parts and Miscellany.

The scope in question is a 4x20 specification. 4 is the number of times the image is magnified and 20 is the diameter in millimetres of the objective lens. The size of the objective lens effectively controls the amount of light that enters the scope and controls the quality of the image and the conditions the scope may be used in. The bigger the objective lens, the more light enter and better quality image and so forth. A 4x20 is an entry level scope and whilst the Japanese built optics are of reasonable quality they are by no means exceptional. This is the case for modern 4x20 as well; there is apparently not much point in making 4x20 of exceptional quality due to the limitations of dimensions. Most serious shooters seem to have at least a 4x32. A 4x20 would generally be attached to a 'plinker', a low powered air rifle for use in back gardens to be used shooting at tin cans, just for fun.

A vintage 4x20 Scope.

PArtsontype1_zpsd369f076.jpg

The ring in the objective bell loosened:

Objectivering_zpsddb44867.jpg

From left the right the parts are:

The eyepiece, which contains the ocular lens.

The locking ring to lock the eyepiece in place, if looking at a scope has a variable zoom (which this isn't) then a ring in this position may sometimes be called the power ring and is used to adjust the magnification of the image. As a side note: The greater the magnification the greater the vibration i.e. if you magnify the image by a factor of 10 then you magnify any movement by the same factor. Essentially this means that the greater the magnification the more important it is that the scope is held steady. Minor vibrations caused by human movement can greatly affect the steadiness of the image when it has been magnified many times (such as breathing or even pulse/heartbeat). On the Original Model 7 4x20 the locking ring is metal whereas on pretty much every other scope I found in my scope research the locking ring was plastic.

The tube. This isn’t just a tube, inside there are various lenses and apertures to turn the image back up the right way and display the reticule.

The windage and elevation screws. The screws assist in fine tuning the scope to compensate for wind and elevation i.e. left to right/up and down. Sometimes these are referred to as ‘turrets’. The block on which they sit is sometimes called ‘The saddle’. The screw on caps are merely to protect the screws from dirt and grime. The fit of the caps should be true and they should screw on and off with ease. If they seem exceptionally tight or loose then they are most likely not the correct caps for the scope or they have been mistreated and are threaded. The dust caps on Original scopes are pretty unique; if one examines other period scopes of different brand and even designs it is the case that the dust caps are often easily interchangeable as the turrests holding the screws are the same size. Not so with Original. They seem to have the widest turrets out there and are not easily replaced. If your scope is incomplete then you may have the devil of a time finding replacement caps.

The Objective bell, which contains the objective lens. There should be an additional ring that screws in the end of the objective bell that locks the objective lens into place and prevents movement or damage.

During the course of my research I encountered several distinct Original Model 7 Variations. Several of them would appear suitable for your Bowcaster or Evazan prop whereas some are apparently unsuitable. All pictures are of scopes found in their Original condition and have not (so far as I know) been altered. All scopes are pictured at the shortest length.

Type 1: Original Model 7 4x20 scope. S in circle symbol (long version).

Model7S_zpseb7d04b1.jpg

Eyepiece Close up

Model7Seyepiececloseup_zps4962f0a4.jpg

Objective bell Close up showing QC sticker.

Model7nosobjectivebellpass_zps474ea314.jpg

The Box of the Original Model 7 4x20 scope.

Model7box_zps1925ebd9.jpg

The instructions that come with it.

Scan0006_zps0070262e.jpg

Don’t put too much stock by the measurements and take them with a pinch of salt. None of the Model 7s I own are 11 ¾ inches long.

Type 2: Original Model 7 4x20 scope. No S in circle symbol.

This scope is identical to the above scope in terms of dimensions and all other ways with the one exception that it does not have the S in a circle symbol. It is not the case that the S has come away it was never there.

Model7noS_zps970437da.jpg

Eyepiece Close up.

Model7noSeyepiececloseup_zps09952ff2.jpg

Objective bell Close up showing QC sticker.

Model7Sobjectivebellpassmark_zps6f7dd006.jpg

Comparison of S in circle symbol and no S scopes. Any differences that appear are due solely to my poor pictures and/or positioning. They are the same but scope for the S.

SnoScomparison_zps5fe620c3.jpg

Type 3: Original Model 7 4x20 scope. S in circle symbol (shorter version).

This scope is virtually the same as the other two. The QC mark is plainly different but the scope tube is shorter by a fraction of an inch and it is shorter in the section between the windage and elevation screws and the objective lens bell assembly.

Model7ropundpassmark_zps6d08de2c.jpg

Close up showing QC sticker.

Model7roundpassmarkcloseup_zpsdb25b481.jpg

I've encountered another version of the scope that features a fractionally shorter eyepiece than the ones picture above but is otherwise the same so far as I can see. This other model also features the same markings with the S in circle symbol.

Lastly I should point out (as corrected by Lonepigeon below - thanks Chris) that the Model 7 scope featured on the props does not have the same locking rings I have pictured above. The props feature a plain grooved or knurled ring and there is no taper section running to the tube. I have provided a picture for you below. The Bowcaster and Evazan props both definitely feature this type of ring (and the Evazan prop features the same type of round, yellow label as shown above on the third version).

IMG_0956crop_zps8acefd35.jpg

Not the Scope you are looking for…….

Edited updated 31/01/2014.
Promised to do this a while back and didn't get around to it; here follows some pictures of some other Original Model 7 4x20s out there. The first is what I call the squat version and is easy to identify due to the objective bell that has a somewhat squashed appearance. Care is needed with this as it is available with all the correct markings. I have included some pictures here of a full length squat scope that does not feature the 'S in circle' symbol but is identical to one I owned previously that did bear the correct markings. Pictures of the eyepiece to that scope may be found further down in the original post unedited at the end.

Original Model 7 4x20 scope no S in circle symbol (squat version).
IMG_0785_zps36699b14.jpg

Shown here next to one of the longer scopes.

Eyepiece close up.
IMG_0786_zps733c8285.jpg

The others.

There are clones of the long (er) version Model 7 available. I have seen but not held a Sussex Armoury that is apparently the same but with a different one piece mount as featured on the 'Zenisson' (pictured) that the eBay seller has marked up with a start price of a mere 120 Euros! Good luck mate.

Also included here is a scan of a poster for 1970s Rhino brand scopes. The Model 204 is the same as our boy. Although I do not own one I have now seen and held an actual Rhino model 204 and it is the same as the long version Model 7. In addition to these two different brands the Hunter brand also does an identical scope to the Model 7 which is again marked with the S in circle symbol.

Zenisson 4 x 20.
zenison_zpse0ff6eeb.jpg

RhinoAd1_zps6e4a0664.jpg

Rhinoad2_zpsae4adaa7.jpg

So, there we have it; a pretty little minefield for you to negotiate for this piece. In my opinion all Model 7s are pretty rare and nowhere near as common as the ASI clones out there

Live the dream.

Andy

Last edited:
Holy crap, how did I miss this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This has been a mystery to even the most informed Bowcaster members.

Thanks so much.

Good stuff here1
A few additions...

- The locking ring on all examples shown above are wrong compared to the two props. The locking ring should not have a tapered side. It should just be the knurled section. I have a Model 7 (third version with circle S, short eyepiece, short tube, soft objective bell) that has a correct locking ring and I've seen correct rings on other scope so this is easily swapped out. It is correct that the ring should be metal.

- The "type 3" shown above has the correct inspection sticker for the Evazan blaster.
I'm not positive on the correct inspection number. It looks like a 1 or 2 on the prop. My "type 1" correct scope has a 1 (3 is shown above).

- I have a Model 7 (no circle S, longer correct eyepiece) without an objective bell. It's not missing. It's just a plain tube like a 4x15.
It seems unmodified, but I can't rule out that the eyepiece could have been swapped by a previous owner at some point.

Last edited:
Thanks Chris, can't believe I made such a rudimentry mistake here but I think I was concentrating on brand info than prop info. The mentioned props have not really been my study. By way of apology to all allow me to provide this picture of the Model 7 with the correct and untapered locking ring; it really is just a knurled metal ring.

Live the dream.

Andy

Edit: 03/08/2018
Due to the whole photobucket thing all of the old images form this thread are now gone. I don't know where all of the originals are but the below image is what I think is an example the perfect model 7s. I no longer own these.

Further down is a Sussex Armoury clone of the Model 7 with a different mount.

qqQ3Kkh.jpg

HzJG4nF.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back