Original Mars/Taz National Treasure Book of Secrets - a Review

KramStaar

Sr Member
I am very selective when choosing props and there is something especially rewarding when one arrives that exceeds all expectations - and this happened to me recently.

Last year the gifted pair of Marsattack and TazVader published their intentions to produce their own version of the Book of Secrets from the National Treasure franchise and it was clear right from the outset, that their intentions were to produce a prop replica of the highest possible standards.
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=71612&highlight=book+secrets

Its futile to try and convey how just how well produced this prop actually is. The thick leather briefcase cover is hand selected leather with an immaculately embossed seal on the outside. There are also handmade Presidential buttons affixed to the cover - perfectly aged and polished to show just the right amount of wear.

BOS001.jpg

Opening the book the first thing that you notice is how perfectly aged each of the pages is. TazVader - with a little help from Mars - wrote every story and this feat alone is worthy of a Pulitzer because it should be remembered that there are 200 pages here!
For me, the great thing is that the stories vary from being fairly serious to being downright outrageous and there has been a huge amount of attention paid in selecting fonts - some of which are perfect reproductions of the Presidents writing down to the fact that in some cases, the font actually randomly selects different common letters (like "a") to give the impression that it was hand-written and not typed....

BOS001a.jpg

The stories are enough to have you reading for weeks and I have found that even today, I still open the book randomly to read them and enjoy...

Then the inserts. Here again nothing has been too much of a challenge and as with the rest of the book's weathering Marsattack has produced some of the most authentically produced replicas around. This book is simply jam packed with the most amazing pieces of archival memorabilia and its clear that here too, the pair exhausted every avenue for great inserts - from futuristic blue-prints to old newspapers and photographs.

BOS002.jpg

For me an additional sweetener is that I have been able to make some of my own ADDITIONAL inserts to drop into my book (Please note: these photographs show a number of my own pieces in addition to some of the original items) and this makes this prop a continual work in progress for ANY collector.

BOS003.jpg

It goes without saying that I'm thrilled and honoured to own one of these extremely limited edition prop replicas and in my opinion, the price for this prop is modest in the extreme - given the colossal amount of work and expertise that has been employed in its production.

This is a wonderful piece of work. Congratulations and many thanks guys.

regards

MARK

Last edited:
Re: National Treasure Book of Secrets - a Review

Superb, superb and quite frankly....SUPERB!! Hopefully mine will arrive this week sometime!!:):thumbsup

Great review, glad to see your adding your own touches by creating your own inserts. I have a book coming from another builder so I can't wait.

Hello,

I 100% agree it IS a masterpiece!

You mentioned that you had created additional
pieces.

Is there a chance to us few that have their book
already that you might offer them to us?

Let me know.
Tom

I TOO READ WHEN SITTING, THE STORIES ARE FANTASTIC!

Wow, great review.
That's makes the waiting for my version not easier :lol
I am really looking forward :thumbsup

@ KramStaar:
Cool, that you added self-made pieces, unfortunately I cannot
determine which one you made :lol

Great review for a real piece of art! Realy impressiv. I especialy like the pics and additions made by you KramStaar!

Hello,

I 100% agree it IS a masterpiece!

You mentioned that you had created additional
pieces.

Is there a chance to us few that have their book
already that you might offer them to us?

Let me know.
Tom

I would also like a chance to gather in more inserts!:rolleyes

that is an amazing piece of work. I hope that this helps the guys get more movie work if they are not currently doing so. Very high quality craftsmanship! Congrats on the score!

Thanks to all for the great feedback.. in all honesty the credit belongs to Mars and to Chris because it was their vision that made this a reality.

Thanks too for the comments on the inserts. In those pictures there is a mixture of original inserts and some of my own.

In the past I have made a number of high quality items available as free downloads for the community but in this case, there are no plans to make these inserts available as a general release. Besides trying to come up with something unique for my book, most of them are worked on antique paper and board and I don't have much of that type of thing in stock. Other items (such as the seal) are one-offs that I have picked up in various places around the world. The seal I got along with some other documents from the 1700's at the markets in Portobello Road in London. They are not specifically accurate for the book but they make for nice eye candy...

regards

MARK

Last edited:

So instead of start another thread for the exact same thing, I too need to write my review:

Mark has said pretty much exactly what I would have initially wrote but here is my breif review.

The first thing that hit me when I opened the mailing package was the rich aroma of fresh leather. It just smelled well made.

After that you see the gleam of the light radiating from within the deep brown textured leather. The Presidential seal that has been beautifully embossed POPS out at you as to say "For Presidents Eyes Only"! That alone made me want to open this incredibly well bound work of art and start on page 1 and not stop until I hit page 186! That's right 186 pages of a histories most intriguing myths, legends, cover-ups and conspiracies that come to life. As I read the stories, I could actually imagine the president writing each page and the circumstances surrounding each story.

As I turn page by page the antiqued feel of the parchment chosen for the substrate surface tells my fingers to keep going. The aged look of each individual page is simply beautiful and looks just right.

Every presidents page(s) have completely distinct writing fonts and for the most part looks like it was written rather than printed on. Each page looks to be hand numbered.

NOW the best part....the inserts. Now this may be because I myself am a paper prop enthusiest but the inserts are what REALLY give the stories depth and meat to them. I really think that if this was just a book of presidential stories without the inserts this book would be a 8/10. But because the inserts give life to the stories and there are SOOO many of them, this book ends up being a 10/10++. The thing I really love about this, like Mark stated, is that I get to add whatever inserts I can make or find. There isn't many that Mars and Taz left out but I find myself researching historical events JUST to see if I can make more things.

I can't thank Mars and Taz enough for undertaking such an amazing work of art and movie property. All I know is that these 2 RPF'rs have made it into my "Anything they make I MUST buy" category and there are VERY few people in there.

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

Brad

A HUGE THANK YOU GUYS!!

I do not know what to say!!
It is people like you that inspired us to excell in a prop that had that WOW factor, now not everybody will like it or buy it, but up to now there has been a huge positive feedback so I am guessing we were on the right track.

First thank you for all your comments, Mark , thank you for your constant support mate!
for those who don't know , Kramstaar (Mark ) is a very talented artist , I am one of the lucky people to have a couple of his art work, and being praised by such is nothing less than incredible. Some of his "ART " is found inside this book and was exclusively made for us.
If you have not done so yet, check out his website.

This does not leave out those other talented ACES here like Jedidyfe who people like us try to impress.
Thank you Brad for your much awaited feedback!
And to those who have not yet received the book, I hope you like it and meets your expectations!

There is no doubt there will be more outstanding inserts being shown amongst the National treasure BOS fans.
I bet each will be unique and will add a sense of originality and personalisation to each book.
For everyones information , the inside cover material changed every 3 or 4 books. It did not cost more or less to have either.
We decided to change along the way , this would determined the batch, make it more unique as you would have received 1 of 3 never to be done again style book.
This creates a more exclusive run within the total books. I think this would add value to the investment.

I have seen Marks incredible inserts , can't wait to see who else comes up with some more.
NOTE: There are no more books for sale, all are spoken for and we were planning to put one on Ebay (with different material)ONCE they have been all sent out.

Again thank you for all your patience and support in this prop run.
Chris and Mars

I'm dying to get this in my hands.

What are the dimensions of the book guys? Are we talking approx 8" x 6" x 1.5" ??

I'm dying to get this in my hands.

What are the dimensions of the book guys? Are we talking approx 8" x 6" x 1.5" ??

10 1/4" x 7" x 2 1/8"

It is a perfectly size and weighs about 3 lbs.!!!!

Brad

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back