Original 1978 MPC Artoo Detoo

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Hand Solo, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

I built this original '78-issue Artoo back in 1999 before I took a very long break from the hobby.

He's built to depict his appearance thru much of Episode IV.

One of the very first things I did with this is to strip the chrome from the dome and cut the dome frames to re-align the six upper panels to reflect their actual position. Then with fairly course sandpaper, I gave the dome plastic a 'grain' like stainless steel has. The dome was painted with a rattlecan chrome. Memory fails on just what I used at the time...

The body was airbrushed with Apple Barrel white after priming and all the blue panels were brushed on using Plasti-Cote GM Metallic Blue automotive touch up paint.

All weathering was done with pastel chalks ( my preferred method ) and sealed with Dullcoat. If you look carefully, you can see where the restraining bolt was removed from his front.

The power cables on the feet were replaced with guitar cable as well as many of the plastic internal detail parts under the removeable back panel.

The biggest inaccuracy I left unfixed was the bevelled neck band. If I ever rebuild this one, I'll fix that detail. I'll probably also light him.

The third leg was built, but permanently placed in the retracted position.

You might be able to see photoetched brass screen in some of the dome detail areas. That was a little extra touch I did.

[​IMG]

Link to large image

[​IMG]

Link to large image

[​IMG]

Link to large image

After I built this one, I pretty much stopped building for several years. Now I'm getting back into it with a vengeance.

2. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

How much for that GIANT woofer behind R2? ;) LOL....

That looks GREAT Bob.

3. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Jul 2 2006, 04:37 PM) [snapback]1272713[/snapback]</div>
    Artoo is quite the party animal. With the ol' JBL Concert Stack behind him. :D

<div class='quotetop'></div>
    Thanks.

This one, I'll probably revisit in the future. I think I can do him up even better now.

What I wouldn't give to be able to afford to build a full scale Artoo like those guys at the R2 Builders Club do. They have some real talent.

4. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

ooOOoooooo....full scale....

It would be fnny to place a dummy of Kenny Baker in it too? LOL. That would be bizzare... still... wonder if that has been done?

5. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Jul 2 2006, 04:45 PM) [snapback]1272721[/snapback]</div>
    That's almost...bizarre.

He photographs much cleaner than he really is. The lighting washes out the weathering.

Your Red Five X-wing, I bet, MUST be far more impressive in person for the same reason, Kurt.

6. TK-326

TK-326 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Jul 2 2006, 06:41 PM) [snapback]1272718[/snapback]</div>
    Artoo is quite the party animal. With the ol' JBL Concert Stack behind him. :D

Thanks.

This one, I'll probably revisit in the future. I think I can do him up even better now.

What I wouldn't give to be able to afford to build a full scale Artoo like those guys at the R2 Builders Club do. They have some real talent.
    [/b][/quote]

I'm still working on completing my full-scale R2, but now you've got me wanting to dig out my old MPC kits and take a look at them.

7. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Nice job -- I like teh spun look you got on the dome...

8. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(TK-326 @ Jul 2 2006, 08:33 PM) [snapback]1272852[/snapback]</div>
    Sometimes they CAN be made to look decent. And they're still available from time to time, usually affordable.

<div class='quotetop'>(PHArchivist @ Jul 2 2006, 08:38 PM) [snapback]1272857[/snapback]</div>

Thanks.

The shiny chrome was one of the things I never liked about that kit. It made it look too toy-like. Overall the MPC IS a good likeness, provided some adjustments are made. I also modified the radar 'eye' to have a data slot beneath it.

326, are you building BOTH an R2 and R5 unit? Or will your R2 have a swappable R5 dome?

I checked out your blog. Nice work so far.

9. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Swappable domes is a great idea. I never noticed that the designs were so alike.

Full sized R2's are definitely great things. Lights, sound and movement included? I recently got this R2 toy about ...ohhh... 18 to 24" tall that moves around and make sound and stuff. Bet the components could be used for a full sized.

10. TK-326

TK-326 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes, I am building both an R2 and an R5. R2 is mostly done, but he needs a buddy, plus I have all these resin and sintra parts left over from swapping out aluminum parts. The R2 is all metal - aluminum and steel. The R5 will be Sintra, resin, and wood. Both have aluminum skins. I'm painting the R5 red like R5-X2. The domes are still interchangeable, as everything is built to club specs (R2 Builders Club).

11. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

^ Ah Hah. Thanks.

Any one of youz guyz gots an R5 with a popping/smoking motivator? You know how those R5s can be.... :D

[​IMG]

12. burningman

burningman Well-Known Member

great looking model..I had that one as well but it got tossed way back when..I miss him :(

13. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(burningman @ Jul 3 2006, 09:48 AM) [snapback]1273215[/snapback]</div>

Thanks.

This one was my second. Another good friend, who has yet to post here but is a member ( name of Moorcat ) found this for me years and years back.

My first one I painted as a Red R2 back in 1983.

14. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

My brother had the companion piece/C3PO with it's dull as dirt gold paint job. I think he built it straight out of the box. Not that I can blame him, he was only 6 or 7 at the time. :lol

You've done a great job on R2. Nice to see what can be done with older kits.

15. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

Well thanks.

If it HAD been the Threepio ( which I had and blew up repeatedly with a firecracker...I held him together in between pyrotechnic 'experiences' with modelling clay....), I'dve given up. There are far too many things wrong with that one.

The Artoo, overall, wasn't beyond some help. If I obtain another, I'll build an R3 or an R5 variant.

16. Morla

Morla New Member

I am building an all aluminum R2 as well, this project has me totally addicted to constructing droids. All my spare time is now devoted to it.

17. frightzone_4_you

frightzone_4_you Well-Known Member

COOL ... You did a great job. I really liked your creative approach & research :thumbsup :thumbsup

18. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(frightzone_4_you @ Aug 6 2006, 10:29 AM) [snapback]1295006[/snapback]</div>

:thumbsup

Thanks.

19. REL

REL Sr Member

Awesome work.

Did you add his jet pack upgrade...er downgrade. Those would've come in handy when he fell in the swamp on Dagobah.

20. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(REL @ Aug 6 2006, 12:08 PM) [snapback]1295061[/snapback]</div>

They would have, wouldn't they...

Too bad that it was probably Captain Antilles that had those packs removed...probably to retrofit something else in there during Artoo's Tantive years. :D

21. MonsieurTox

MonsieurTox Master Member

Wow . Amazing work . This Artoo is too cute . :D
    Well done .

22. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(MonsieurTox @ Aug 6 2006, 10:56 PM) [snapback]1295368[/snapback]</div>

Thanks.

I've got to get more recent stuff built and posted. I've been out of this 'sport' far too long.

23. MonsieurTox

I just bought one MPC kit of Artoo after reading your thread .
    I know I coudn't do a work like yours but I'll try to do my best .
    Take a break is good =)
    The work is better after that .

24. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(MonsieurTox @ Aug 6 2006, 11:08 PM) [snapback]1295370[/snapback]</div>

Well keep us posted.

Will you do it up as Artoo, or will you do a different astromech?

As far as making it look like mine, I think anybody can. Just ask when you get to a point you need clarification on.

25. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

Every R2 needs a friend.

[attachmentid=9437]

26. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

^ Awesome.

An honest to goodness MPC-Creepio. :D

27. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Memories.... whoa.

LOL...LOVE the Rainbow Six next to ThreePio. LOLOL Classic...just classic. lol. ;)

Bob... didn't I give you the two halves I had left of ThreePio back in the 90's? Wonder what I did with those? Hmmmmm... If you happen to find them I would really love to see what you would do with them.

28. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey I was there, I built the MPC Artoo, and he never looked as good as yours. B) :thumbsup

- k

29. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Aug 7 2006, 07:38 PM) [snapback]1295904[/snapback]</div>

I have what's left of that somewhere in my parts pile. I think... :p

<div class='quotetop'>(phase pistol @ Aug 7 2006, 08:19 PM) [snapback]1295928[/snapback]</div>

Thanks.

I had to do quite a bit to him. I'm definitely considering a revisit and slight rebuild now. He's over 7 years old built and 28 years old altogether. It's time to refurbish him.

30. PHArchivist

Just found mine in my home theater last night. Appears my son decided to drag him out.

Mine was an original I did as a ten-yearo-old in '77. I restored it in the early '90s. Could still use some work.

31. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

LOL... the original 77 is the one Bob has in his parts bin too. LOL

Hey Bob. You can make an EMPIRE "blown apart" version of ThreePio... LOLOL.

PH... let's see that "restore" in a new ThreePio thread. Since Bob has R2 covered... ThreePio may be a nice view as well.

Man... memories of being 11 are hitting me hard.. LOL.

32. PHArchivist

Acutally, I restored 3PO too, rendering the version in the Falcon near the end, hanging onto his leg. its pretty cool.

"I'm standing here in pieces and you're having delusions of grandeur."

33. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

LOL...

Joking aside, that's SUCH a LOW priority project, it's not even 'on the radar'. I'll very shortly be far to busy to worry about a junked protocol droid.

PH.. Too funny. " You can't repair the hyperdrive. Chewbacca can do it.. "

34. MonsieurTox

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Aug 7 2006, 06:11 AM) [snapback]1295371[/snapback]</div>

I'm sure it will not R2-D2... Maybe R2-X2 or R2-Q2.... and I love too R3-T7... I don't know yet (I need a correct size clear dome for the R3 :()

Anyway thanks for your help . :)

35. spastromech

spastromech Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Jul 3 2006, 10:12 AM) [snapback]1273110[/snapback]</div>
    This has been discussed and debated on the R2Builders forum since those little buggars came out. You could pull the whole brain out and use the sound module, but if you're going to spend that much on building a full sized droid you're better off with a better sound unit.

As far as the automation part goes, you really don't want to try that with a 150-pound droid, especially if he's going to be around any kids.
    [​IMG]
    I get paranoid just moving him around with RC, can't imagine him just up and moving on his own :confused

Hand Solo, the MPC R2 looks great.

-Scott

36. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

Thanks.

I'm getting more and more interested in the full sized stuff, the more I dig.