Original 1977 ANH Stormtrooper Armor and Helmet

Not HDPE. These will be made with white ABS and finished products, not kits.

Are you one of the people involved? Siman and others have stated that while the first run will be fully completed helmets, there MAY be kits down the road... :confused
The First run of Helmets will come fully made up with hovi mic tips which we've cast from this helmet they'll be hand painted include lenses and on a numbered stand.

KaanE, if you are not one of the people involved, you prob should edit your post. Because it sounds like you are stating a fact set in stone. And with that comment you just made 3/4 the forum turn their heads in sadness. :(

I would really like to get a NON-cleaned up stunt off of this. In whatever plastic. But I'm ONLY interested in a kit. :sleep

Hoping to get a post weekend update. Hopefully get the facts straight. So I can either forget about this, or start putting money aside? :)

Really! You want all the bumps and ugliness but don't care if the material is incorrect.

How does that make sense?
Details versus material.

You can cast this as fiberglass pieces and preserve 100% details + assembly, but the material will be wrong.

You can cast this in the right material - if you can find it in the right color - but you won't get 100% accurate assembly and perfect details.

You can cast it in another type of vac-form plastic - since you likely won't find the right plastic with the right color anyway - and just make the best of it, with as much details preserved.

Personally... I prefer the fiberglass option, molded and cast as hollow one-piece sections. Would be as accurate, though, accurate on different criteria than vac-formed from the right plastic with the right color, but still accurate in terms of details and shape.

Seems to me if you don't go 100% with materials too what is the point of the bumps?

It just makes them look sloppy. Which of course they are. Low Budget and all.

and since no two are exactly identical in pull depth and assembly.

What is 100% on the details?

Seems to me if you don't go 100% with materials too what is the point of the bumps?
It just makes them look sloppy. Which of course they are. Low Budget and all.
and since no two are exactly identical in pull depth and assembly.
What is 100% on the details?
You lose either way. No matter what option you choose, you'll always lose accuracy in some form or another, so in my view, I just go for what I would like and to me details and shapes are more important than the right materials.

It wouldn't just be the materials that are wrong though, it would now be a one piece helmet whereas the original is a 4 piece discounting the trim/lense, that seems to me to a pretty big detail.
Plus you're stuck with one helmet assembly style with fibreglass, at least with vac formed kits you could reproduce different screen used helmets in terms of assembly.
But see... I don't want to reproduce different helmets. I want the exact one as close as possible to the one molded. And the only way to achieve that for me is a one-piece fiberglass cast. I've tried vac-formed helmets and I'm just not into doing all that trimming, fitting and assembling that those require.

But I can understand that most people would probably want the vac-formed version.

Really! You want all the bumps and ugliness but don't care if the material is incorrect.

I would love to see a correct HDPE pull but to be honest it's good for pretty much nothing except a static display... At least with a polystyrene pull it could be worn and handled without fear of chunks of pain falling off...

As said there are pros and cons of all the materials, depending on the desired choice of 'accuracy'...

What's the point of removing them? It does nothing but further remove it from it's origins...

You will never achieve 100% materials, as I doubt you will ever identify the white paint (or any paint) even if it's that same brand and color chances of the same formula is zero to none after 30+ years...

If you want it to not look 'sloppy' why not correct the asymmetrical geometry while you are at it, heck remove all the quirks like that little pucker under the right eye and clean it up all the way? And sure as hell don't use HDPE as it an inferior choice for paint... Basically you would end up with what MR/EFX did, a fine looking sanitized, idealized version...

I would much rather have a helmet with all the bumps and quirks pulled in polystyrene vs HDPE vs nothing at all... And I would sure as heck rather have one with all the bumps and quirks vs what is out there already even if it's in HDPE...

Some people have a hard time vacforming with HDPE. Getting super sharp pulls etc. Gino had to play around with it to get if right.

Carsten is correct IMHO with the "details vs marerials" comment.

HDPE would be a sweet option if it can be done right. But first and foremost get some perfect stunt castings. A lot of people will be perfectly happy with a more paint friendly plastic than HDPE.

HDPE would be a sweet option if it can be done right. But first and foremost get some perfect stunt castings. A lot of people will be perfectly happy with a more paint friendly plastic than HDPE.
Or ABS that needs no painting - except for the trap details and tube stripes, but they could easily also be decaled. :thumbsup

Boy, this thread slowed down since the efx Vader lid came out.

Anymore news?

Stealth trooper thread :lol

Difference is this thread has the potential to end up with a happy ending unlike the eFX Vader thread that I predict that will go on forever and end up going nowhere :unsure

Any updates on this project would also be much appreciated if there are any.

Cheers Chris

I'd be down for "as-is" helmet kit and armor kit with no modifications.
In other words a stunt and not a hero, I would prefer close to screen used as possible. Great job on this project and thanks for offering!

s

A sneak peak at a prototype first pull on our own machine. This is 1mm HDPE, yeah you heard me right HDPE. In a couple of weeks now guys we should be ready to roll!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back