ORCA scratch build

You just make me think and wonder, Magnets on the exhaust and mast roof top mounting plates? That would make things so easy to take the roof off. Only thing that would have to be moved is the rigging, ladder and bridge electric connections.

Amazing as always!!!!!!!!! (y) :eek: :love:

Can I ask, if I remember correctly I asked you about all the little parts for the NECA Ora, and I think you said you just spend a long time finding the correct scale things all over.

For this 1/6 scale Are you creating all the small parts like the cage, scuba tanks, stove, radio, etc. with 3D printing?

Also what about the 1/6 figures?

Thanks

You just make me think and wonder, Magnets on the exhaust and mast roof top mounting plates? That would make things so easy to take the roof off. Only thing that would have to be moved is the rigging, ladder and bridge electric connections.
that would make it quicker to put together. Ill look and see if I can make it work. the 2 M2 bolts on version 1 are fiddley.

Starting the gluey bit planking the sides
IMG_3456.JPG

I only have a portable site saw that's a bit on the load side. Even in my shed everyone can hear it. Last time I just went for it. After last time, I wanted to make a small saw with more grunt than the little model making ones. I bought a cheap Chinese saw that looked perfect for the job with a few alterations. In the end there was so much wobble in the blade I gave up on it. It was one of those job where you end up having to replace every part from scratch. then the other day I was cutting up Pallets for fire wood with my favorite tool .
IMG_3458.JPG

it has everything I needed. power small blade and adjustable height but I didn't want to take it apart. So I bought a cheap Chinese version ( yes you think I would learn) Well it worked out great.
IMG_3457.JPG

The only problem was the dewalt goes in both directions but the cheap one doesn't and the reverse thread stopped me from just wiring it backwards, So I had the cut left handed.
I was cutting for about an Hour and it didn't even get warm.

"No Mr Bond, I expect you to die"
that will be the laser.

But I would say never buy a Glowforge. I got mine as a kick starter. they never said how loud it was going to be, lots of pictures of it in a kitchen with the family standing around it. Also it's forever trying to sell you upgrades/subscriptions. the machine itself is well made and works great but having it be only cloud based is a pain. If I had the money again I'd go for the MUZE or something more conventional.
I got my Glowforge as part of the kick starter as well. I'm fairly happy with mine. Wish the exhaust sat under the laser like originally planned and I HATE that you can't open the lid while paused without canceling the cut. I might have one of the genius mechanical guys I work with bypass the lid safety so it thinks the lid is always closed.

I only have a portable site saw that's a bit on the load side. Even in my shed everyone can hear it. Last time I just went for it. After last time, I wanted to make a small saw with more grunt than the little model making ones. I bought a cheap Chinese saw that looked perfect for the job with a few alterations. In the end there was so much wobble in the blade I gave up on it. It was one of those job where you end up having to replace every part from scratch. then the other day I was cutting up Pallets for fire wood with my favorite tool .View attachment 1812560
it has everything I needed. power small blade and adjustable height but I didn't want to take it apart. So I bought a cheap Chinese version ( yes you think I would learn) Well it worked out great.View attachment 1812561
The only problem was the dewalt goes in both directions but the cheap one doesn't and the reverse thread stopped me from just wiring it backwards, So I had the cut left handed.
I was cutting for about an Hour and it didn't even get warm.
Never thought of that type of rigging...might try myself(y)(y)

DAMN Lady! That is the tightest hull planking. Did you steam the planks to bend them? I thought maybe that's why you left the shop to get preped planks.
Filmzy, is this version going to be R/C? I didn't see a propeller shaft stuffing box. Thought I saw a mount for the servo.
Your updates are just so good! Loving it!

DAMN Lady! That is the tightest hull planking. Did you steam the planks to bend them? I thought maybe that's why you left the shop to get preped planks.
Filmzy, is this version going to be R/C? I didn't see a propeller shaft stuffing box. Thought I saw a mount for the servo.
Your updates are just so good! Loving it!
Oh most defiantly going to be RC. You know it all about movement for me. There a secret mount point underneath for gags this time.
No did steam them. last time I used pine this time I went with Bass wood its got some give to it at that scale. I might have to on the 6th scale.
the prop shaft goes through PTFE block and then 6inch of grease like last time fingers crossed it work again.

My friend and colleague died last night of a brain hemorrhage. I've never met anyone who had as much energy as him. He was like the ever ready bunny. He'd finally got his dream job of Production designer Ray Chan | Art Director, Art Department, Production Designer
We did a few marvel films together and He asked me back for Dead Pool 3 now he was in charge, he wanted some mad Vehicles. tough in cheek
Mad max theme. He was a gear head at hart.
I'm still in shock. I've life and do the things you want to do wile you can. Unhappy day.

Last edited:
Very sad Flimsy, condolences to you for the loss.

As I get older, I often reflect on all the things I have not yet accomplished in my life and wonder if there is time left...

On a lighter note: do you plan to use the six magenets holding the roof to provide electrical conections for the upper wiring? This would be clean, easy, and avoid connection mistakes...

Alternatively, some spring-loaded gold-plated connectors (think Apple products charging cables) to make that easy?

(PS I am not receiving notices of updates here!)

got to stop for a few days so this well be the last update till next week.
As this model is all about the final look on camera I'm not being a purist about total timber build. Planking the side give me the look I'm after but after that underneath the water line its all about shape so I printed the gaps.
IMG_3461.JPG
IMG_3462.JPG

and I've gone with brushless motor this time.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back