Orange Robot from Love, Death & Robots

LeClubNerd

This is the little Orange Robot from 'Three Robots' from Love, Death & Robots, i enjoyed this episode although 'Zima Blue' Was my fav. I needed something quick and easy for my local con as I sold my main cosplay and my next one has a estimate of at least 2 years to finish. So something I could knock out in 2 weekends was in order.
I grabbed some screen shots, he's pretty basic shapewise and threw him into Armorsmith to scale him to human size.
I started with this file off of Thingiverse LD&R orange robot V1 | Semi pose-able by nikee9 it's not 100% accurate so I'm making adjustments on the fly. I used Meshmixer to alter some things and reduce the polygons.
xT9RVtM.png
f7x4EJY.jpg
H4QIZWJ.png

mMYHjru.png
YfuPWkI.png
0tOiv09.png

All up he was 184 pages of pepakura, 92 pages just for the head.He's not complex he's just large.
So the usual obligatory pepakura shots ..with dog for scale, you can clearly see that's a great dane.
RItsjuz.jpg
yKZg0p6.jpg
BINbkbg.jpg

I made grooves in the sole so my feet can flex at the toe for normal walking, ran straps underneath, the shoes are snug but a strap will help keep my feet in. The lowers and upper legs are basic tubes.
GHV7hco.jpg
642gxQ9.jpg
642gxQ9.jpg
opBqEI7.jpg

The codpiece is a koala.
M4CHaIt.jpg

I started on the head, made it stronger with some irrigation pipe so it keeps it's shape then connected struts to a hard-hat. It can balance but the helmet needs a chin strap. I think i'll add in 2 straps that go under my armpits and into the upper struts for a little extra support.. we'll see, i don't want to walk around with my hand supporting my head all day.
TdUdlO0.jpg
z9JFDM2.jpg
iIhbXm1.jpg
yho1bvR.jpg
IWlslcb.jpg

Here it is ready for gap filling...
xFVEUX3.jpg

The face will be led's behind a tinted corrugated plastic that gives it that old TV look. Anyway, thanks for reading :)

Last edited:
Niceee! That was one of my favorite episodes too! I kinda wanted to do a cosplay from it as well haha. Are you coming to Sydnova and if so, will you wear this?

Well, I got him done in time for the convention, not everything was finished and the paint was still wet when I got there but I made it.
I won't show too many progress shots because at the end of the day it's juts a very large pepakura model and we've seen enough of those.
Hands
SLQX1Gp.png
8fWGrVK.png

Gap filler + sealant, i'm not sure if this stuff is available outside Oz but it's the best for sealing foam, i discovered it on my Reinhardt. You use it to fill gaps on seams like normal filler then when you feather it out you just keep going. This time i then squirted some into water and made a milk like consistency, covered everything then it dries clear and flexible.
U8J01ds.png
kLMKMP9.png
HCuJ1TK.png
NoKSOhg.png
qda7dra.png

I didn't take any photos of painting, i was in full con crush mode at that point, my hand covered in glue, paint etc
9VQmI78.png

..anyway, as i said i cut alot of corners but I got it there.
The strapping was bad but easily fixable, the sizing was good ... the first time i tried it on was when we dumped it on the side of the road next to the con..
6NrNgxd.png
.. thanks to armorsmith it was spot on :)
O6drN2v.png
YmKKkxR.png
D83aQT8.png

KDfiJBH.png
5F1Uf2I.png

His eyes are the wrong colour, make him look like a giant Jawa.

His head is not heavy but it's not stable and it was windy so i had to keep a grip all day, i have a plan for straps that go under my armpits that still keep the ability to turn my head, that's the next iteration :)

Back lane of the con

On stage

All up he was made in 23-24 hours across 2 days and 3 nights. His paint was very slap dash and so was the strapping.. i still need to make the lights better and animate ... but that's the next con ;)

uhVndMj.png

Thanks for reading! :)

Niceee! Where did you get that sealant from? Just a Bunnings? The stuff I found can only be smoothed with turps and it's super gummy and annoying to use :(

Niceee! Where did you get that sealant from? Just a Bunnings? The stuff I found can only be smoothed with turps and it's super gummy and annoying to use :(
Yessir, Bunnings it is, i used one tube on the entire suit and was about $2.80 .. so cheap as chips, in fact chips are more expensive! You do need to buy a smaller gun for it though, also cheap, i don't think it fits in larger guns.
I then plastidipped over it then $5 spray can colour... it bent well left no creases or cracks and i moved alot. So I was super happy with the result.

Damn you nailed that. I am just getting into this show now.

Btw you need to stop feeding your Great Dane, at some point they are just to0 big to handle. . .

Damn you nailed that. I am just getting into this show now.

Btw you need to stop feeding your Great Dane, at some point they are just to0 big to handle. . .
Thanks so much, the show was great and he was really fun to wear.. it's good to find someone who knows a great dane when they see one :)

This is awesome, you wouldn't by any chance still have the pepakura files for the helmet wood you
Here's all the files you'll need https://files.fm/u/a7avusee in this folder are the reference files i clipped from the show, the original files from sculptor nikee9 on Thingiverse, the altered .OBJ files I used for the unfolds, the Armorsmith file with the scaling and unfolds, and finally if you don't want to scale it yourself i've included the .PDF's so you can just print it out for yourself and get building. Be warned! the head alone is 96 A4 pages of paper

Enjoy
2764.png

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back