Opinions on how to disguise arms?

Marthony

Hello,

I'm upgrading my G1 Devastator costume for April 30th's Calgary Comic Expo, and I'm curious for suggestions on how to disguise my arms. I can't manipulate the robot's arms in a different way, so at the moment it's about how to make them less distracting.

Here's how it looked last fall: http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/...pst947tne3.jpg

As part of the upgrades, I'll be covering most of the robot's elbow joints with black fabric, as well as painting the same just above the joint up to where the next prop part begins. this should hide my wrists some.

Perhaps make my arms look like cables somehow..?

Thanks!

Hey that's a pretty great Devy. based on the look of the costume, I assume it's based on the g1 toy, which is absolutely awsome! with regards with how to disguise the arms, If you would bulk up the forearms near the elbow, this would disguise the arms to a great degree. Essentially I suggest making the lower arms universially thick, enlarging the torso width wise and building onto the inside of Bonecrusher and Scavenger so that the meet the torso closer. These parts do not need to be fully enclosed, only the front and back, as due to the upper arms inflexibility, the inside will never be seen. although visible, the shadowing will likely cover your arms. Alternatively with the aforementioned mod, you could wear a green sleeved shirt, and they would look fairly close to the 5mm pegs used to link the original figure's limbs. If this sounds like to much work, you could wear flexible ducting over your arms, so as to look like power conduits.

Other modifications I would suggest include covering the legs, and lowing the head. The neck just seems slightly to long, no offense (admittedly, I do not know of the feasibility of this). Overall incredible build, I cant wait to see how this progresses!

All the best, RNC

How about I start with a progress shot? =) Here's the chest wing upgraded awaiting painting: http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums...4-7FD5-42F5-9CEF-ECF1E0840986_zps26y0cxs1.jpg. Will be spray-painted purple metallic. The 3 enclosed shapes per side will be painted chrome silver, and hopefully I can hand-paint some original sticker detail in acrylic.

Indeed, it is based on the G1 toy - I had it as a kid and my wife got this re-issue for me as last year's birthday gift! =) I am using direct-proportion scaling (per section, not global) where possible to get the authentic look, though I've had to do a lot of edits for ergonomics & my human proportions.

I will add more detail to the forearms to match the toy, which will bulk up some and closer to the joint.

For the width of the body, I'll add as much as an inch to each side with add-on side detail panels. I don't want to add more than that though, as it could make things bump when my arms are down.

For the upper arms, the insides of the tracks mark where the torso's edge begins - the upper arms move freely by way of a hinge & turntable bearing. Here's the prototype shoulder joint: http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y470/Martaxus/Shoulder 1_zpsglvqgz4z.jpg. The range of motion is limited by the length of my arms. Here's a video that shows some arm movement: http://vid1276.photobucket.com/albu...7-888F-4C22-B55C-23765A8CD729_zpsvfqu8stc.mp4.

I'd thought of making Scavenger & Bonecrusher bigger, but made them this size so their upper end wouldn't be much over that of Hook's parts and they wouldn't hit the chest wing so much. Hopefully with extra detail & the scoop arm they'll look a bit bigger. I used doors as a guide for max height to pass an indoor bathroom door without the stilts & minus the head (Velcro-mounted).

Power conduits sound good! Which kind of ducting have you a mental image of?

It's not how much work as much as it is time at this point. Long list of edits, plus completely redoing the paint job as well. Just under a month to get it all done, and many steps are new to me. First costume with insulation or EVA foam, first stilts & of my own design, types of paint on surfaces, return to Envirotex resin (low emissions, flexible)...I have to make compromises.

Also planning to have multiple sound effects: 3 cartoon quotes + a back-up beep from a speaker in the top of the torso, a 4" 15W speaker at the front-bottom of each foot playing a 'ka-thoom' sound with each footstep, and 2 sounds from each fist via mini-speakers (smashing glass & something else that doesn't need base sound). I got this method down from Megatron's http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y470/Martaxus/IMG_2422_zps9g2g1o4f.jpg cannon sound - you get one of those programmable sound cards, remove the .25W speaker and connect to a powered speaker.

Nice call on the head, I hadn't looked at it so much but I think you're right. I can lower it by 1-1.5".

Legs are being re-covered with detail, and thighs may be painted spandex in a squared-off manner.

Thanks for the pointers, please keep them coming!

Sounds great! I'm really digging the idea of the foot sounds! with regards to the ducting, I'm referring to the silver Mylar coated ducts. I believe they are often used for air transmission, and I have often seen them used for Bender costumes from Futurama. They are silver though, so you will likely want to paint it with something like Plastidip. It wont be figure accurate but it could work. Alternatively you could go completely comedic and fashion a giant hand holding the costume with your arms disguised as fingers (I joke).

Smart move on judging based on doorframes... I built the BTTF cooling tower add-ons for my DeLorean for Haloween... In my college dorm room... and neglected to measure the door frame. I ended up having to lower it out the window, much to the staff's chagrin. Anayway...you may want to also post this on a website called TFW2005, under the Radicons section. It's mainly for transformers figure customisers, but I'm sure everyone over there will gladly offer ideas and sugestions; they tend to get onboard with big projects like this! By the way, this has convinced me to finally start work on Beast Wars Transmetal Tarantulas Ive been toying with for a while now, so thank you! Below I will post a picture of the ducting.

All the best, RNC

- - - Updated - - -

160064[1].png

Thanks, I'll have a look at the duct option. I have a can of Plasti-dip that could be used for this...as I don't have a good indoor ventilated space this product isn't one I normally use. Bought a can for testing last year.

I confess it was someone else's misfortune that made me focus on doorway logistics; at one of the Calgary Comic Expos a guy in a (fibreglassed) Warhammer suit could not get through the doors as he was too wide & deep!

I go now to TFW2005, thanks!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back