Opinions on casting supplies from Michaels

I use the 1:1 mix clear resin from Hobby Lobby / Michael's and have had no trouble with it. The kind in the tin that takes the drops of catalyst is just crap though.

I've checked out the Hobby Lobby today and they have the Alumlite kits on the shelf (in the same isle for miniature models (for dioramas and stuff). They had a mini casting kit with 8 oz. of solutions, Mold Putty, Super Foam 320, High Strength 3 and a Super Casting Kit (which is actually the most expensive item at $69, with everything else being less than $30). I don't understand the differences between them (except that the Super Foam 320 apparently is use to fill in cavities in items to re-enforce their structural integrity). So, what's the differences between the mini casting kit, Mold Putty and High Strength, short of the size, that Mold Putty doesn't require mixing in a cup, and pricing? And which works best?

You can also find Alumilite's "Amazing Casting" resin and mold putty in the area where the "Casting Craft" resin is located--it's cheaper, and seems designed for very basic "beginners" use. Not sure how it compares to the more "modeler focused" stuff though.

Casting Resin and Silicone Mold Making Rubber

I went straight to Smooth-On, and other than realizing that Legos do in fact make the best mold boxes (after making several not so good mold boxes) it was a cinch to use. The fact you don't need a scale, just measuring cups or an Adjustable Measuring Cup the latter of which I highly recommend as it removes a lot of waste from the casting process.

So as for "modeler focused" I'd say go for Smooth-On, they've got some awesome products, good prices, and you can get most of their stuff in a trial version to see if it'll work for your particular application.

I've mostly used stuff from micromark but they're expensive and this last batch i didn't have good luck with when it came to resin. I'm going to try smooth on next.

I used to buy from them. Now I use Smooth-On. It's cheaper, Better, and Easier to use (mostly 1:1 mix instead of 1:10).

Nuff said...:cool...:lol

So, what's the differences between the mini casting kit,

It's a kit that comes with a little bit of silicone and resin... A good place to get your feet wet before you start purchasing the individual components...

Mold Putty

It's a silicone putty instead of a liquid, it has it's uses but IMO you are better off with the traditional silicone for just about everything...

High Strength

I recommend this over Alumilites 4 hour silicone, it's A LOT more flexible and A LOT less prone to ripping and tearing...

and other than realizing that Legos do in fact make the best mold boxes

I personally find Lego annoying and a waste of time for mold boxes... And as soon as you get any bigger than a hot wheels you will need a garbage can of Lego to make the box... For me foam core board and hot glue are the ticket for small boxes and for larger items I generally build an MDF box...

Last edited:
I'll have to think about MDF when I next make some large models.

One thing I will suggest if you use MDF since some silicones do kinda soak in and stick, and excess resin spills will stick as well if you are using the MDF as a support box when casting... Once you have the entire MDF mold box constructed, take a disposable brush and give it a paint job with Vaseline, and then hit it with a hair dryer or heat gun and the Vaseline will soak right in, give it a buff with some paper towels in any areas that puddles and you will have a box that will resist petty much anything sticking to it... And it''s surprisingly NOT oily or sticky once you melt the Vaseline into it, so no worries about making a mess handling it...

Oh and ALWAYS pre-drill any screw holes in MDF as it splits way too easy

JOOC, why the fixation on finding a local reseller of the stuff? ALL of this stuff can be found online, and can be at your front door in a few days. Unless you're under some 24 hour time crunch, I recommend buying online.

And staying on topic, I'm in full agreement with many of the posters here: the "hobby" grade stuff is absolute garbage, and a waste of time and money. Go with Smooth-on, or SilPak. They can give you pretty much everything you will ever need. They also offer tech support if you have questions. You can call up smooth on, talk about YOUR particular project, and they will give you tips and make product recommendations.

Try getting that at Michaels :)

JOOC, why the fixation on finding a local reseller of the stuff? ALL of this stuff can be found online, and can be at your front door in a few days. Unless you're under some 24 hour time crunch, I recommend buying online.

I agree to a point especially on small purchases where the shipping dollar value isn't that high, but once you kick into 10 gallon sets (two 5 gallon jugs) the shipping can be proportionally high and costly in itself... Paying $300 for the resin and getting hit with $75 shipping is kinda ridicules... I do it every so often when I'm lazy or just plain to busy to make the trip but that $75 (or even $150 if I double up) really encourages me to take the trip to the local supplier...

Plus one of my local suppliers uses flat sided 5 gallon jugs that stack a lot nicer, and have a nice screw off cap on the lid...

Well, if you really have to know, I'm an old school shopper. I feel more comfortable going to a store or a location, handling a product with my bare hands, getting a chance to read the packaging with my own eyes and looking my seller in the eye while I'm discussing the item with them or buying something. Nowadays, you can't be too safe with your credit/debit card online. I will admit, I do buy some stuff online, but only with its for items I can't find at a store and from sellers I know for a fact that I can trust.

Does that answer your question?

Another thing to note you will get that same level of Smooth On customer support at a local Reynolds Advanced Materials as they are one in the same...

Agreed. I actually DID have a 24 hour rush job recently, and had to find a local smooth-on rep. And yes, the dudes there knew EVERYTHING about their products. It was amazing.

As for the desire to go to the store itself to go shopping, you are of course free to do whatever you want for whatever reason you want :) I was just worried that maybe you thought the good stuff could ONLY be found in brick and mortar stores, which is simply not the case.

As for credit card fraud, you are FAR more likely to be scammed from a brick and mortar store where they physically handle your card than an online place. Only a very small percentage of credit card fraud comes from online or phone sales. It's all just a perception thing. Like how people are afraid to fly, but are totaly comfortable driving on the freeways.

As for the desire to go to the store itself to go shopping, you are of course free to do whatever you want for whatever reason you want :) I was just worried that maybe you thought the good stuff could ONLY be found in brick and mortar stores, which is simply not the case.

As for credit card fraud, you are FAR more likely to be scammed from a brick and mortar store where they physically handle your card than an online place. Only a very small percentage of credit card fraud comes from online or phone sales. It's all just a perception thing. Like how people are afraid to fly, but are totaly comfortable driving on the freeways.

I didn't think that brick and mortar stores were the only option, even though I do like to keep all my options open if possible.

I've flown on a plane and have driven on freeways, and neither worries me. Besides the point, to quote Norman Bates from "Psycho", "Old habits die hard."

I've never found resin in a craft shop that works well enough to make it worthwhile. When we had a Dick Blick locally, it was heaven, because I could make a 20 minute drive and pick up the basic 1:1 Smooth On white resin. I've purchased from their online store and had no problems, and delivery was fast. I do understand what you mean about wanting to buy it in person though. I feel that way sometimes too, but when it comes to supplies like this, it's better and safer to go with an online supplier to get the good stuff.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back