Ood sculpt for mask i'm making

frosty

Sr Member
Heres some finished pics
various014.jpg

various0132.jpg

various026.jpg

On that last pic you can see i need another couple of tentacles at the back, but nothing major, the orb lights up as well, not as bright as the original but enough.

Well the ood are back in dr who tonight, and i thought i'd make my son a mask of one of his favourite monsters.
I thought it'd only take me a few hours but its a hard thing to get looking right, and its taken me a couple of late nights sculpting to get it done.
I used a small head to sculpt it on, and left the bottom off to make it easier to wear, i'm doing the tentacle thingies separate, in latex and polyfoam, i'll coat them with clear silicone thinned with white spirit for that nice slimey look.
I was hoping to get it done for today but i've only just cast it up, i'm doing light up eyes and the ball communication thing as well.
heres a few pics, there not the best, but you get the idea
various005.jpg

various003.jpg

various004.jpg

various002.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, its just water based clay, i used that for quickness more than anything, its great for building up forms quickly, not so great for detailing, you can do it though, i dry the clay out with a hairdryer as i go along, detail then smooth it out, then detail again.
Got the first one out the mould, and started trimming it
various003-1.jpg

various002-1.jpg

I have only seen bits and pieces of the new Who, and not sure what this guy is supposed to look like, but he looks cool to me so far.

Wow, fantastic! Can't wait to see him finished.

I wonder how many Ood masks the BBC made for the latest episode "Planet of the Ood", there were seriously oodles of Ood. :lol

Thanks,:redface
Did a bit of painting tonight, and roughly added the tentacles for the pics,
various001.jpg

various002-2.jpg

various008.jpg

various007.jpg

Working on it inbetween other stuff, should have it done soon

The tentacles appear to be a bit too big diameter-wise. You may want to make them just a hair narrower.

Just an observation. Otherwise it looks FANTASTIC!

/The Circle must be broken!

Well i trimmed the tentacles back a touch, then painted and coated them with thinned down clear silicone to give that nice slimy look, i've added the eyes and punched up the colour a bit here and there, still got a bit of tweaking to do but the paintjobs done, i've started the orb as well, just waiting on some superbright leds for both the orb and the eyes now.
various010-1.jpg

various003-2.jpg

various025.jpg

Last edited:
Hi
Yes its wearable, i've got superbright red leds coming for the eyes, i originally had just red standard ones in there, but you couldn't see them when they were on, so thats why i'm changing them out

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back