Oni / Buhal'ra (Southeast Asian / Pacific) Yautja

Cheers guys and gal :D the mandibles doesn't 'close' around the mouth as much as I wanted to, but then, I also wanted the teeth underneath to show, so all in all, still very happy :D Hope to finish the biomask sculpt this weekend..hope..lol

Hola, wasn’t able to do much bio wise over the weekend, but managed to ‘fill’ it all in, and currently in the process of ‘shaving’ off the excess clay…I’ve gone for a totally different approach with this version this time, and found myself going with the flow of it all, deducting more, rather than adding…for some reason, if the first bio took on an appearance of a simian even during the first few stages, this one sort of makes me want to scream “My life for Aiur!” ;P
08Feb2017-progress.jpg

Still a long way to go though :D

Just a quick update on the bio…No longer looking like a Protoss Highlord (which is a bit of a shame, but I can always scrape some of the details off after I cast this ;P), but loving it so far! :D
13Feb2017-progress.jpg

Almost there, just need to refine some details, next update will be the cast.. ONE Important question though…

When I conceptualised this build, I vowed I would not use any ‘tech’ of some kind (NO plasma cannon, no mechanised wrist blades, no laser targeting, no body mesh, no cloak, nothing to ‘dull’ a hunter’s senses or to make the hunt ‘easier’ ;P) to a degree. I know a Bio mask is a lot of things, one of which is a breathing apparatus as Predators breathe in 90% Methane. So in story, the bio mask atleast has a breathing thingy inside the mask. My question to all of you is, should I go with a wood finish, like most Southeast Asian Monster masks are made of, and what I had originally planned for, or a metal-y bio, or a wooden Bio, but with a smooth finish, like a Samurai Somen/Menpo?

See below, my inspirations when I designed my mask :) Cheers all!

Isu-Bio-Mask-Inspirations.jpg

It is a shame! But looking great! And as far as the "material" why not a blend of both? Accentuate certain areas in metal, and others in wood? (For example making the outer rim from the eyebrows up, and the lower "jaw" metal-y and the rest wood.)

Great design on this build.
Would like to see this bio painted in cooper with a heavy green oxidation, so it looks like a kind of marsh-wood.
Just mystify the "tech" a bit, like on this comic-page. Also try to recycle some Indonesia tools for the blade gauntlet(s)?!
For example: I love the blade-gauntlet on this Japanese Predator.

By the way: My 1st bio (2002) was carved in Bali.

p5_61 copy.jpg

SNB13811.JPG

DSCF0001o.JPG

Last edited:
Cheers Nic! I always love your ideas, will keep that in mind :)

Thanks for sharing Okami! I’ve started googling some marsh-wood images at your suggestion, will bank them of course and see what happens, but, after seeing your Wood carved Bio from Bali (Freakin’ awesome btw), I think I’m going with the smooth look, if anything, at the end, if I change my mind and stick with wood, I’ll just try to do a wood finish through the paint job. We’ll see…lol

Funny you mentioned the blade gauntlets..I’ve been sort of struggling on how I’ll do my version of the wrist blades ever since I thought of this concept, as I’ve decided to not go with any ‘tech’. Definitely no motors of any kind on my Predator. Then I remembered something from my heritage. Balisongs. Or more commonly known in the western world as butterfly knives.
balisongs.jpg

The real challenge is effectively adapting how a Balisong would work as a wrist blade. Or if it would even work at all. But if it did…I’ll wet my pants… Imagine this, but on both wrists, bigger and my Predator flipping these blades open before he drives it into the guts of his enemies… :D

More videos on youtube, just search Balisong :) All you tinkerers out there, If you can help me adapt/turn the Balisong into wrist blades, I’ll give you all the credit, I just want to have one on my Pred! :D

Cheers and thanks!

Cheers Nic! I always love your ideas, will keep that in mind :)

Thanks for sharing Okami! I’ve started googling some marsh-wood images at your suggestion, will bank them of course and see what happens, but, after seeing your Wood carved Bio from Bali (Freakin’ awesome btw), I think I’m going with the smooth look, if anything, at the end, if I change my mind and stick with wood, I’ll just try to do a wood finish through the paint job. We’ll see…lol

Funny you mentioned the blade gauntlets..I’ve been sort of struggling on how I’ll do my version of the wrist blades ever since I thought of this concept, as I’ve decided to not go with any ‘tech’. Definitely no motors of any kind on my Predator. Then I remembered something from my heritage. Balisongs. Or more commonly known in the western world as butterfly knives.
View attachment 264344

The real challenge is effectively adapting how a Balisong would work as a wrist blade. Or if it would even work at all. But if it did…I’ll wet my pants… Imagine this, but on both wrists, bigger and my Predator flipping these blades open before he drives it into the guts of his enemies… :D

More videos on youtube, just search Balisong :) All you tinkerers out there, If you can help me adapt/turn the Balisong into wrist blades, I’ll give you all the credit, I just want to have one on my Pred! :D

Cheers and thanks!
I have few of them when i was a kid, my gramdpa made it of wood. I was the most danger kin in the block:lol::lol::lol:

Heehee, my uncle had one that I used to play with a lot too, lol.It's fun, but also quite dangerous, lol

:D I'm thinking the wrist gauntlet has to have a swivel somewhere, so you can flip the Wrist Balisong...more thoughts on that later, need to do more research!

Depending on how the glove is done you could even implement the swivel on top of the first knuckle of each finger and thereby have some butterfly knife action.

Just an update! :) Was able to have some time over the weekend to finally cast the Bio! Was happy enough with the sculpt, so I got the Silicone out of the storage (last used it for the dread moulds, August of last year) and I realised 2 things immediately. 1) Apparently, I forgot it had expiry, which was Oct 2016. 2) I felt there wasn’t enough left to make a solid, proper mould. If I was in a more comfortable situation financially, I’d have just chucked it out and most likely got something better for this..but since it was the opposite, F it, and used it. Now, I didn’t post the mould pics, as it looked really bad, and to be honest, didn’t think it would come out okay. The silicone did look alright, but I think due to it being ‘expired’, it didn’t mix properly and I felt that some parts hardened fast, and some other didn’t dry at all, even after 24 hours..So I had to ‘spray’ the ‘hardener/part b’ on some of those, which, unexpectedly, worked. Anyway, wrapping up..Really feel the Mould gods have blessed me again! Sure, lots of air bubbles there, and it’s not a perfect cast, as the cheek horn on the left wasn’t casted properly, and there are a lot more pock marks, but I’ll just use it as some sort of worn, weathered effect. :D And it fits! :D
26Feb2017-progress_a.jpg
26Feb2017-progress_b.jpg

*didn’t wear my hardy gloves when I was prying off the 3 pieces as I I wasn’t getting enough ‘grip', and due to the support resin mould being really really ******, cut myself a couple of times and one really deep one on my left index, lol. Blood payment ;P
bleed-for-pred.jpg

Cheers All! :D

Thanks Jmen and Nic!!! :D Did a little bit of dremel-ing yesterday, and was able to really fit the mask on the head properly. I have a better idea on how good the fit is once I cut out the eyes, it's actually a bit more asymmetrical than what the pics show, but you can only really tell if you're looking at it from the bottom. But due to my height, I don't think a lot of people will notice, and I guess it's better to be asymmetrical, but fits perfectly to your face, or symmetrical but don't fit well at all. I blame my own head for being asymmetrical. LOL

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back