Official Show off your model collection thread!

Two more models for my Millennium Falcon collection/madness. Well... just sold the little one cause I have one of the 1/144 Bandai already. I just wanted to know how good could it look.

So this is the little 1/164 scale Revell model/toy. 21cm long. 8 1/2 inches? Fun little project, good enough for what you pay. Ditched the toy buttons, covered the holes with putty etc and that's it really. A 10 minutes build and it's ready for painting.
IMG-7626.JPG

IMG-7628.JPG

IMG-7630.JPG
IMG-7631.JPG

And this is the 1/72 scale (more like 1/92 if my math is correct) Revell Millennium Falcon, ANH version (well... kinda). Since the model is a bit too basic, a bit dull to be honest... and the panel lines are so bulky... I went for the beat up, dusty, creamy look (like from the escape from Tatooine) to cover these flaws. That means heavy filters, liberal use of the airbrush, etc. It has some minor modifications to make it look better, like a couple of greeblies. But I didn't go crazy cause it's not worth your time. I also sanded down some stupid profiles that were on the mandibles making the model look chubbier than it already is. The dome is a bit flat on the other hand. So it's a bit chaotic! Tall sidewalls, flat dome. Then I reworked the turret cause the original just sucks. But again, for the price (€25 on second hand apps), you can't be wrong.
IMG-8178.JPG

IMG-8179.JPG

It barely fits inside an Ikea Detolf
IMG-8182.JPG

Last edited:
A few years ago, I posted a pic of my meager collection and honestly, I really have not made a significant dent in it since. I still have an unfinished 1/350 scale PL Refit Enterprise sitting in a glass case waiting on finishing touches. Anway, I did have a Revell 1/144 Saturn V completed in my collection and was never happy with it's lack of accuracy but last year i noticed several adds on FaceBook where someone was selling Saturn V lamps for $400.00 ish. So , taking an old floor lamp, some LED strips and some Poly fill. Presto, I repurposed my model into a lamp for my home office. and it all cost me less than $50.00. Just thought I would share.
View attachment 1356438
That has got to be the coolest thing Ive seen in a long time! Excellent!!

The lighted “Enterprise” letters on the fantail (and similar lighted areas) are realized using the “Raytheon” technique, so named after a modeler who used that “handle” on the net and described the approach whereby the inside of the model is light-blocked with paint, with certain areas left unpainted, thus allowing LED light sources within the model to shine through the plastic. There are far better descriptions of this technique to be found on the net than I can offer, I’m sure. This even works with the Aztec paint masks applied to the exterior of the model. I’m told that cool white LEDs are best used for this technique. The effect is also aided by use of addional lights being mounted (such as under the bridge and around the lower sensor dome) that simulate the source of the spotlights (when in reality they’d never cast that much light). I think Paul, the guy who built my refit, really mastered the technique whereby the the light from the spotlights really look like it’s being “thrown” (as opposed to coming from within the plastic). Actually there are some areas (on the lower pylons, on the saucer edges in front of the nacelles) where the light IS being thrown.

67453FDE-5592-40A4-9C61-3981433BAA54.jpeg
90454106-17F7-46F1-AC2F-27DAF87F570D.jpeg

I picked up modeling as a Covid hobby. Really like learning about it and browsing all of your builds. Just in awe of the skill level...Anyways, this was my first Build. It's the 1/144 scale Bandai X-Wing. I really like the small scale models, I am kind of intimidated by the larger ones. But, I'm working my way up in size.

IMG_20210410_164102.jpg

I picked up modeling as a Covid hobby. Really like learning about it and browsing all of your builds. Just in awe of the skill level...Anyways, this was my first Build. It's the 1/144 scale Bandai X-Wing. I really like the small scale models, I am kind of intimidated by the larger ones. But, I'm working my way up in size.

View attachment 1482959
Nice job! I got back into modeling during lockdown. The Bandai models are amazing. Try the 1/72 X-Wing, it hits a sweet spot of size and detail for me. Big enough to show lots of detail (especially with Bandai's incredible molding prowess) but it doesn't take up the entire room.

I actually started assembly on the 1/72 XWing, but lost the main nose pieces while moving! Does anyone know if Bandai would send me replacement pieces if I asked?

I picked up the New Hope XWing last night 1/72 and a Tamiya weathering kit to try out on it. Interesting product, "flammable dust". Very similar to eye shadow. I also picked up some applicators and brown eye shadow at the 99 cent store for comparison. Will post findings.

The lighted “Enterprise” letters on the fantail (and similar lighted areas) are realized using the “Raytheon” technique, so named after a modeler who used that “handle” on the net and described the approach whereby the inside of the model is light-blocked with paint, with certain areas left unpainted, thus allowing LED light sources within the model to shine through the plastic.

Voodoo magic!!!!

A few years ago, I posted a pic of my meager collection and honestly, I really have not made a significant dent in it since. I still have an unfinished 1/350 scale PL Refit Enterprise sitting in a glass case waiting on finishing touches. Anway, I did have a Revell 1/144 Saturn V completed in my collection and was never happy with it's lack of accuracy but last year i noticed several adds on FaceBook where someone was selling Saturn V lamps for $400.00 ish. So , taking an old floor lamp, some LED strips and some Poly fill. Presto, I repurposed my model into a lamp for my home office. and it all cost me less than $50.00. Just thought I would share.
View attachment 1356438

Looks awesome!

One of the only personal upsides to the Covid lockdown of 2020 was being able to log a lot of hours at my workbench...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 9.35.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 9.35.17 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 185
  • TF10.jpg
    TF10.jpg
    618.5 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_4483.JPG
    IMG_4483.JPG
    488.9 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_4607.JPG
    IMG_4607.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 171
  • IMG_7752.jpeg
    IMG_7752.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 228
  • IMG_5444.jpeg
    IMG_5444.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 216
  • IMG_5868.jpeg
    IMG_5868.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 205
  • IMG_7623.jpeg
    IMG_7623.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 191
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 4.48.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 4.48.57 PM.png
    3 MB · Views: 171
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 12.53.55 PM copy.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 12.53.55 PM copy.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 171

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back