Official Show off your model collection thread!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

jcoffman99

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
My daughter made her first model today. She learned how to use the nippers and sanding block. :)
D6C8C334-486A-449B-B3A5-41B3C9D9E20C.jpeg

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

SirSandalot

One of the only personal upsides to the Covid lockdown of 2020 was being able to log a lot of hours at my workbench...
Congratulations on those models they're all great, and that naboo starfighter is hands down the best I've seen. Both the metal and the yellow are great. What kit is it? Looks big!

I still have an AMT/ERTL (or whatever it was around 1999) kit to build. Mind sharing what paints you used? Cause I'd want exactly that result...

Carson Dyle

Sr Member
Congratulations on those models they're all great, and that naboo starfighter is hands down the best I've seen. Both the metal and the yellow are great. What kit is it? Looks big!

I still have an AMT/ERTL (or whatever it was around 1999) kit to build. Mind sharing what paints you used? Cause I'd want exactly that result...
Thanks for the kind remarks. I'm not sure who produced the kit, but I purchased it back in 2003 from Monsters in Motion. I think the original digital file originated at ILM.

The yellow hull is Tamiya Chrome Yellow synthetic lacquer straight out of the rattle-can, accented with Tamiya Canary Yellow, Tamiya Camel Yellow, and Tamiya Bright Orange. The accent shades were applied via airbrush. I know it sounds like a lot of different yellows and oranges, but I took care to carefully blend the accent colors to create depth without overdoing the contrast between shades. The silver areas are just Alclad Chrome applied sparingly with an airbrush over a smooth, highly-polished gloss-black lacquer surface. I then accented some of the silver panels with Alclad Airframe Silver -- mostly along the panel lines -- to provide a little dull silver variation to the shiny chrome. Exhaust streaks, battle damage, and random weathering are mostly oils, although (if memory serves) I also airbrushed a few light streaks of brownish-grey grime in the recessed areas. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

SirSandalot

Thanks for the kind remarks. I'm not sure who produced the kit, but I purchased it back in 2003 from Monsters in Motion. I think the original digital file originated at ILM.

The yellow hull is Tamiya Chrome Yellow synthetic lacquer straight out of the rattle-can, accented with Tamiya Canary Yellow, Tamiya Camel Yellow, and Tamiya Bright Orange. The accent shades were applied via airbrush. I know it sounds like a lot of different yellows and oranges, but I took care to carefully blend the accent colors to create depth without overdoing the contrast between shades. The silver areas are just Alclad Chrome applied sparingly with an airbrush over a smooth gloss-black lacquer surface. I then accented some of the silver panels with Alclad Airframe Silver -- mostly along the panel lines -- to provide a little dull silver variation to the shiny chrome. Exhaust streaks, battle damage, and random weathering are mostly oils, although (if memory serves) I also airbrushed a few light streaks of brownish-grey grime in the recessed areas. Hope that helps.
It does sound like a lot of yellows and oranges (and thus expensive) but the depth is well worth the time and the money. I think the reason why I haven't painted mine yet is because it's too small to paint it in just one shade of yellow and I wasn't very fond of the results I saw online. Yellow is too bright for such a small model and it tends to look like a toy. But I'll try to replicate your recipe sometime in the future and hopefully I'll end up with a yellow as deep as yours.

Thank you very much!

Real Scooby

I thought I'd share THIS "Blast from MY Past"
Digged up a old photo taken in my room at my parents place in 93. It shows my then proud collection of MPC ERTL Star Wars ( and a few other ) kits

20211012_175233.jpg

ShuttleTydirium
Star Destroyer, big X-Wing, TIE Interceptor, Cutaway Falcon
Vader, HALCYON Power Loader and Alien Warrior, AT-AT, Snowspeeder, Slave I, Speederbike
A-Wing, X-Wing, B-Wing, Y-Wing, Vaders TIE, HALCYON Facehugger
ERTL Romulan Warbird, KENNER Skiff and AT-ST, ERTL Klingon Warbird
and hidden below the Klingon are ERTL BTTF Delorean, Keaton Batmobile and Robocop 2 Ford Taunus Police Car.

Back in the old days I already looked into how to keep the dust away, and my dad came up with a few custom made acryl cases

Unfortunatly non of the shown items survived my "later youth" or the move from my parents place to my first own appartment

Thank god, I discovered BANDAI decades later

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.