Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 33.3%

Votes: 3 50.0%

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
I just got back from watching it with a whole bunch of Predaphiles.

****************************There be spoilers 'ere****************************​

WOW! Alan Silvestri's score worked well I also really liked all the references to the other two movies. It would have been great if that Isobel turned out to be Anna's daughter from the first.:Also when they survived and walked off it would have been great to have Arnie dropped on the planet to finish it or have a post credit ending with him calling them into a cave.

They mentioned that the captive Pred was shorter is this right? Great excuse for us shorties at cons...ummm yeah I'm the captive pred

Overall not dissapointed

Paul .'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very Good, but not Great. I would have done some things different but nothing can be perfect. Overall a good movie and the theater was PACKED, so maybe we should hopefully expect more Predator movies.

Good film 8/10 , needed more pred vs pred fight time but it was one of the best scenes imo and the ending was interesting like a "perpetual doom" back to the start
Music was great, sound effect good
I enjoyed it but it was not excelent

just got back from seeing it
The kids loved the movie and it scares me they are begining to know more then me.
I wore my mask in and got yelled at to take if off by the star employes
can you believe that.
It is late got to go!

I just got back from watching it with a whole bunch of Predaphiles.

****************************There be spoilers 'ere****************************​

WOW! Alan Silvestri's score worked well I also really liked all the references to the other two movies. It would have been great if that Isobel turned out to be Anna's daughter from the first.:Also when they survived and walked off it would have been great to have Arnie dropped on the planet to finish it or have a post credit ending with him calling them into a cave.

They mentioned that the captive Pred was shorter is this right? Great excuse for us shorties at cons...ummm yeah I'm the captive pred

Overall not dissapointed

Paul .'.

Shorter than the newer or berserker preds as they are called, but still over 7 foot tall..the berserkers are a good foot and half taller again

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I went to see the movie last night with popcorn, coke and Ben & Jerrys in tow. Overall I really enjoyed it and my gripes are similar to everyone elses, so the bad points first.

LF was way too fat and did not have enough screen time to develop that character, tusky just plain and simply sucked (what an awful bio design) and falconers bio is WAY too wide. I still am not overly keen on the super pred creature design, it just reminds me too much of a crabs face and the eyes didnt look right too me. I would of liked to of seen tusky or falconers face just to add some more variation (maybe as P1 bashes its face in lol). Im not to fussed on the dogs, but I understood the concept and could of perhapds been done a little better.

Right onto the good stuff....

In general, very good acting. Brody was excellent and commanded the screen well. The characters were developed well so it was difficult to tell who would get bumped off and when, the twist with the doc at the end was also enjoyable. Excellent score. P1's cameo was excellent and the pred face off was the highlight for me (although it was a bit short) I was totally egging P1 on when he was on his knees to get up and fight back and was gutted when he lost his head! The cloaking effects were brilliant and I liked that there was no overuse of CG. The sword duel was very entertaining but again a bit short and I enjoyed the different sword techniques demonstrated by the Yakuza. The final scene with the fire etc was well done and I liked the way the pred adapted his vision modes to sense brody which demonstrated the intellegence of the preds. Another favourite part was when the ship takes off and Mr Black looks up and just presses his gauntlet to blow it up and walks away

I think it deserves an 8 out of 10, not ground breaking. But worthy of P1 and P2. Hopefully we will see another sequel that focuses more on the war between the preds.

Il keep my collective short and simple....

1. Loved the different preds
2. Loved the pred on pred fight scene
3. Wish we seen more of the preds
4. Fishburne was funny. Wish he lasted longer
5. Wish Black wouldve killed off all the humans at the end rather then having him killed off with Royce & Isabelle at the end. IMO it wouldve been cooler to have kept Black alive at the end then show more people being droped off on the planet in the background. At least the end fight scene was good and it didn't end in the freaking classic "everyone gets nuked" way.

Over all I enjoyed it and will see it again.

On a side note has anyone heard of a release date by Sideshow for Mr. Blacks bio? I still don't see anything up on there site yet so I'm assuming it's not available for preorder. Wasn't sure if I was missing anything.

the more and more i think about it, i begin to hate this movie. i expected way too much out of it and it didnt deliver in my opinion. the one thing i hated about AVP was that there were 3 predators and 2 of them get killed off within 3-5 minutes of screen time. and what did they do in this movie... they killed off the falconer pred and tusky even quicker. that really pissed me off. i will say that i loved Laurence fishburn's and topher grace's characters because they are more original than the others. back to the hate- there weren't any new weapons other than the falcon that we only get a quick glimpse of, and i dont consider the changing plasma blaster a new weapon. also, i wanted to see a human getting skinned or really torn up. and i didnt like the ending. and by the ending i mean after the predator one on one fight- that was kinda cool... we need more of that! all in all, i give this movie 5 out of 10. final note- the cgi fire explosion was terrible!!!

finally after all this time, and hype i got to see predators last night.........................and it was AMAZING!!!!! the first showing was sold out, so i had to go back for the later one which also sold out but i got my ticket in time!! Adrian brody was awseome, the whole cast infact was strong. from start to finish i got the vibe and buzz i got all those years ago from the origonal! some nice twists, and a good ending complemented by the soundtrack all contributed to giving predators a 9 out of 10 rating, and had nolands part been just that little bit i dont know better, or lets say different it would have got a 10 no bother, but over all...... hell yeah i was well pleased..... and bring on the sequel!!! oh and yes i'll be going to see it again next week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw it 9.20pm opening night here is Brisvegas, Australia. It is school holidays here, but cinema was probably only 2/3 full... must be too late for all the little kiddies.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. My friend who isn't that into Predator thought it was fantastic too.

As we were leaving, I overheard some snot nosed punk say "I could have filmed myself doing a crap in my hands for an hour and a half and it would have been more entertaining." I was thinking, "Did we see the same movie?"

Here's my long rambling "review"

You know me. I'm a HUGE predator fan. Let's get that out of the way, so you know where I'm coming from. If you didn't know that, well you might as well say you don't know me! So of course I've been waiting for sequels, reboots- hell, even REMAKES... anything that was WORTHY of the eponymous franchise that stood strong even after it took not one, but TWO ****** films to tarnish its name. That's like having as many ****** sequels as good ones, folks! Obviously AVP didn't deliver... HAHA, it didn't deliver at ALL, even though I do kinda thing the predator helmets in the movie was pretty rocking. It had a ****** "storyline" (I know you're going WHAT storyline? But hear me out...) horrible actors with the exception of Lance Henriksen, who makes you wonder if he was really THAT strapped for cash, and of course PREDATORS who really were anything BUT. Top that off, the movie was ******* PG-13. You heard me. A movie featuring characters that ripped your spine out of you... became a PG-13 movie. Following this piece of corn-speckled turd was AVP-R. Now, whereas AVP had something sort of resembling a storyline and characters who, though forgettable, were at least written like they were supposed to be, AVPR pretty much went the OPPOSITE route. Gone was the story, or characters. They were there, but they were so flat they might as well have been ******* set pieces. On the plus side, the predator looked and acted more like a PREDATOR should have, and the movie had some good gore... whenever you could SEE it. Seriously, the movie was ******* dark for some reason, and most of it you couldn't even see.

So where am I going with this? Am I actually going to do a review of the movie that came out today, or am I going to just piss and moan incessantly about the last two AVP's? Well, here it is. Ever since I heard Rodriguez, I've allowed myself a cautious sense of hope. When the set pics came, I didn't know what to feel about them, but I've thought- alright. Let's see. Then came the trailer. The pics. The reviews. They were ******* awesome. Did Rodriguez and Antal do the character justice? Was this PREDATORS what we were waiting for? In this review, I intend to just address what I consider to be several key points of the movie that to me really stand out. But first of all, to answer the question...

Yes. Yes it was.

To start off with, the first impression I got of this movie was it was in many ways a clever retread to the first Predator. Alot of the major keypoints, from the suspense of "WTF are we getting into" to the traps, the waterfall... even the ******* mud camouflage. It's there. Unlike AVP-R, however, it was done VERY subtly, and while you feel "omg, predator!", it's not intrusive. It was almost as if they were doing their own twist of P1. That, coupled with the fact that John Debney masterfully recreated the Silvestri score, really drove the point that this was a PREDATOR movie. The plot, however, is different. Several people of different backgrounds are dropped abruptly onto a planet, where they band up in a struggle for survival as they're hunted... by PREDATORS!!

You can't forget also, that this is a very character-driven film. Everything that happens hinges on their decisions, reactions, thoughts. This means the film required- no- NEEDED excellent actors. Especially with the ensemble of Black Ops, soldier in Sierra Leone, a mysterious doctor, serial killer, mercenary, cartel gang member and even a ******* YAKUZA, all of which could have just fallen into their stereotypes and just wallowed in their superficiality (Independence Day, anyone?), the film, at least in my opinion, delivered. First of all, Adrien Brody was the one cast member who everyone went "huh? Really? That skinny jew from The Pianist?" and laughed at. Not in this! I really bought it. He played the battle-hardened, cynical mercenary to a Tee, and it showed. Among them was the ever-badass Danny Trejo as "Cuchillo", a cartel guy who is basically like if you took the long-haired gang guy from SCORPION gang in Predator 2 and aged him a few decades. My biggest surprise was honestly Topher Grace. After he raped Venom in Spider-Man 3, I was going "what the **** was he doing in this movie? Is he going to buttfuck the predator?" but no. He was actually pretty good, for the character he was written. No, he's not a machete-wielding or gun-toting badass, but what he REALLY is, will surprise you. There's also the soldier from Sierra Leone who basically plays a mix of Mac and Billy in a way, in how he's scared shitless as he senses something nobody else does at the time. Oleg Tagtarov is the russian Blaine, except he's not the sexual tyrannosaurus but essentially a gentle giant of a sort. He doesn't seem like a bad guy. Tough, but he's got a level head, somebody who, if not at war, wouldn't mind drinking with ya at the bar. Walter Goggins plays the serial killer who basically reminds me of as the Hudson of the group. You know, Bill Paxton. Except he's ****** up. Hanzo the Yakuza is... japanese. I don't really know what else to add, but he's like the badass samurai type. Adding a more human element to this is Brega playing Isabel, who plays the "heart" of the characters. Finally, Noland, played by Morpheus. He's a loner survivor of this whole ordeal, who, in his 10 seasons against the Preds, has gone a little cuckoo. He plays his character from Apocalypse now, again. Seriously.

But **** the humans, what about the Predators? How are they? Who are they? Are they different? The same?

Well, both. Returning after a long hiatus is the P1 Pred. No, he's not the SAME predator as in P1, but he looks pretty much identical, and that's pretty ******* badass. But then, there are 3 other Predators, who are bigger, stronger... more evil. The Bezzerker, Falconer, and Handler. Bezzerker is the Black Super Pred who is the leader of the trio, featuring a metallic black bio with a jawbone attached to it. Falconer uses a "falcon" looking thing that he uses as a camera, almost. The "eye in the sky". This was a brilliant idea that I'm disappoint wasn't used enough. In fact, it was there ONCE, and that's about it. The Handler, or Tusky as I'd call him due to the big ******* tusks on the bio helmet, is a "buffer" one.

Now, see this is where I was having problems with the movie. These Preds are built up to be these really dangerous ******* killers, from their hunting strategies to fear tactics. It's like each of them were Rambo's or something, and they all looked badass. But then they all died easily. Tusky kills I think ONE guy, who in turn KILLS HIM. WHY? It's like premature ejaculation, except the mess is on the screen, not on your pants. Falconer also disappointed me, since he had an AWESOME final scene.

YAKUZA.

VS.

PREDATOR.

SWORD DUEL!!!!

Then it just kinda ends, as they both die. BUILD IT UP! MAKE IT EXCITING!!!

Still, the movie did GREAT with the character buildup and the suspense, really taking their time revealing them. Seriously, topped with the cherry of Silvestri score, it was like orgasmic cake.

Maybe with this, it's like an orgasmic cake that was on the verge of passing expiry date.

Now, there was another fight that annoyed me. PREDATOR VS. PREDATOR. Sounds ******* KICKASS, right? I thought so too, and while the classic Pred (P1 style) fought the Bezzerker, it really was. But it was again, too short. It was like the fight between the Fallen and Optimus Prime, except in Predators, it didn't prepare you for this **** with a ****** movie.

Finally, the ending. It wasn't bad, but it just felt like a retread of P1 again, COMPLETE WITH ON-THE-SPOT TRAPS AND MUDDY BRODY. WHY, MOVIE? WHY? You were doing so great with clever, subtle references! Why go all out and just making it GLARINGLY obvious?

Then there's the Bezzerker's face. Whereas the Classic pred's face looked AWESOME, since it IS the classic design, the Bezzerker's face, which you thankfully see only very shortly, looked like ****. I'm sorry to those who liked it, but it just disappointed me. I like the swept-back dreadlock look, and I like the different mandible designs, but he just looked like a mutant fish thing from The Mist or something. It just didn't. Work.

So, what the **** are you saying, Joseph? Did you like it or not? You're like THIS IS AWESOME! Then you bitch about **** like the retreads or the Bezzerker's face. WHAT THE **** ARE YOU SAYING, YOU ****?

Well simply, yes. I did like it. In fact, I loved it, up until the very end. It just felt kind of tacked on at the last second, and just lacking the thought that the rest of the movie had going for.

I give it an 8/10.

GO SEE IT!!

I just got back from the cinema, 4 hours ago. I must say that I was overall pleasantly pleased with the movie, the dialog was a tad simple and predictable, but other than that I enjoyed the film. I really enjoyed seeing the classic (P1S ) preddy ! Heck, I even experienced the sensation of my heart skipping a beat when he (P1S) grabbed Royce after Royce had cut him down! So yeah, RR did succeed in recreating some of the experience, for me at least, from the original 87’ Predator. I found Brody’s portrayal of his character, Royce to be very believable. He did a great job. I was impressed! And Like the others here, I too agree that the music /score really set the mood of the film.
~Estelle

OK, managed to dive in straight after work yesterday to see this and was surprised that this is the first film I've seen in ages that not one person has talked through it.

What I liked:

It was a pretty cool opening scene with the pred altimeter on the parachute harness (BASE jumping predators anyone?) and the use of the original score with a little tweak was inspired although in my opinion it was over used just a little bit. I surprisingly liked Adrian Brody as Royce as I've never seen him in an action role and I think he pulled it off successfully. He obviously isn't as stacked as Dutch, although I think this made his character quite believable as an (ex-spec ops?) mercenary. I think Royce's character could be fleshed out quite nicely in any possbile sequel.

As a fan I loved the subtle nods to P1 like the minigun, stabbing the dog half to death with a knife, Nolan's introduction "turn around, over here" etc and also the billyesque Yakuza staying to take on one of the Predators.

The fact that the tension is built by not revealing the preds until pretty much the second act was good and even then it wasn't until the last part that you really see them clearly.

The mentioning of the special forces team from P1, useful as a plot device to have a mud covered Royce at the end, useful to help us put a rough date on when things are occuring.

Overall a great film which has successfully wiped out previous inferior incarnations, in my mind at least. 7.5/10 due to the bad points listed below.

What I didn't like:

The cgi in places was a little poor, the hunting dogs especially (Anyone that's seen Resident Evil will know that some good sfx guys can make an ordinary looking doberman into some very scary ****). Plus the Claymore exploding and wiping out the Pred was shocking cgi.

The Yakuza going head to head with the Predator was pretty cool although the Pred was a little too clunky for my liking and didn't have the nimble agility you'd expect, gone is the grace of Kevin Peter Hall.

I would have liked to have seen less beheading (this is Predator, not Highlander) and maybe a slightly longer final fight sequence.

Finally, Usurper, I take back my previous comments of it only being a 15 certificate (on the other thread) as it certainly didn't effect the film in the slightest!!

Other Comments:

I'm not really sure whether it was the sound quality in the cinema or I just didn't hear it right but what was Topher Grace's character meant to be, was he a murderer??

i seen it last night and i have to say it was pretty good. A few things that kinda threw me off was the trailers then watching the movie. Like the part with Royce getting mass targetted in trailers only to find out it was BS, lol. Also a scene where they show the dog handler with some of the dogs in the trailer never showed up in the movie. It just leads me to believe the movie was meant to be longer and probably had scenes deleted to make it shorter. Overall the movie was great, The Predators on both sides ( Humans & Preds ) played their parts great. I left having the feeling that parts that coulda made the movie better was left out to not exceed the 2 hr mark. Did anyone else notice it or was it just me?

Got to the cinema for the first showing of the day, i was hoping for a 7am showing but 11am had to do  I am not going to lie. I barely slept the night before, i looked forward to it so much. I recall counting the number of weeks down…

Wasn't disappointed. Everything was excellent. The new Predators are really cool, love the tribal vibe they have. The gore is good (any gore is), theres a minigun scene or two.. sweet!. The samurai sword fight with the Predator made the hairs stand up on my arm. Predator Vs Predator had me levitating out of my seat. Awesome, just awesome. I’ll watching it several times in the cinema over the next week.

Overall, I am so glad it didn’t end up like AVP and disappoint the hell out of me. Nimrod, youre a legend. Thankyou.

i seen it last night and i have to say it was pretty good. A few things that kinda threw me off was the trailers then watching the movie. Like the part with Royce getting mass targetted in trailers only to find out it was BS, lol. Also a scene where they show the dog handler with some of the dogs in the trailer never showed up in the movie. It just leads me to believe the movie was meant to be longer and probably had scenes deleted to make it shorter. Overall the movie was great, The Predators on both sides ( Humans & Preds ) played their parts great. I left having the feeling that parts that coulda made the movie better was left out to not exceed the 2 hr mark. Did anyone else notice it or was it just me?

YES!! i agree completely i felt it had more potential. just a few ways to change it could have made it so epic! but instead it was good.

One of the coolest parts of predator 1 is the minigun scene when they chop down all the trees. If i had anything to do with directing i would have had the russian guy off somewhere else when the dogs attacked. Then when the dogs start to overwhelm the group the russian runs up to the frontline and starts mowing them down. Just awesome s**t like that!

There's so much more that could have been improved upon too, but it's too late at night for me.

seen it last night, cinema didn't have many people in it though??? that was fine for me as i cant stand people chompin food in my ear next to me!!!!
i gotta say, i agree with Lee's review! 8/10... & LF was far to overweight for being there as long as he was...

but i still think topher grace is a nob but as Lee said, what a fitting end to his character!

i'll be seeing more of me local cinema over the next week or so, that's for sure!

good times...

Gota remember guys, we are at the sharp end of the fan base, id be surprised if we all loved it , as we all have doifferent views on how a ideal film would play out.

I genuinly feel this is good enough to spawn a sequel or 2, and hopefully bring a predator back to earth one day.

Note sure if this was brought up or not but I dont wanna put to much time in reading these looooooong reviews . lol. This just occured to me...in the trailer Royce had like 25 lasers on him but in the stand off with Berserker he only had one. Wonder if that was done just for the trailer or if it could be a sign of some possible deleted scenes on the DVD release .

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back