Oblivion (2013) movie pistol

smagda64

Jr Member
I like making movie replica props and It's been a while since I posted on therpf.com, but before the summer was done I wanted to make another one for my man cave. I love the Tom Cruise movie Oblivion (2013) and saw that other members on therpf.com had made replica props and I thought I'd like to try to make my own version.

4-Oblivion-Pistol.jpg

3-Oblivion-Pistol.jpg

I started working on it in early 2020 in Autodesk Fusion 360, well before I owned a 3d printer. Since then I purchased a Creality Ender 3 Pro FDM and an Elegoo Saturn resin printer .

1-Autodesk-360-model.png

This is a rendered version from Autodesk Fusion 360 giving me an idea what the final should look like.

2-Oblivion-pistol-render.jpg

I used the Saturn resin printer for most of the parts. This build wasn't going to have electronic lights and sound so I used the Ender 3 Pro for the red side greeblies which in the original would have been red LEDs.

5-Saturn.jpg

After the supports were removed and the parts cleaned there was still going to be a lot of fine sandpaper work to remove any blemishes.

6-pieces.jpg

It took me a few days of sanding but the effort was worth it. The finish was consistent and ready for a coating of primer.

7-pieces.jpg

8-pieces.jpg

Paint primer showed any additional sanding work or if I needed to fill gaps or bubbles. I ended up doing this 3 times until it looked like was it was manufactured versus resin printed.

10-primer.jpg

One of the things that was unique to other props I've made is that it has a bunch of text and other decals. I used as much reference images that I could find and recreated them in Adobe Illustrator. In the end, I had to make the text sizes a bit bigger (about +10%) because the font is so thin the Silhouette Cameo 4 vinyl/paper cutting machine that I got as a gift last Christmas was having problems cutting them. But, I was able to fit them in the appropriate places.

Oblivion pistol stickers-091022.jpg

Here is the final version and I decided not to add any weathering because I liked the clean, just manufactured look.

13-right-side.jpg

14-left-side.jpg

15-front.jpg

16-top-back.jpg

Now that it is done, I placed it on the console below my tv in my man cave. It is joined by my vintage Graflex Star Wars Luke Skywalker lightsaber, Logan's Run Sandman pistol, classic Battlestar Galactica Colonial pistol, Han Solo blaster, and Space: 1999 stun gun.

collection.jpg

pistol-alone.jpg

Very nice guns. Are they all 3D printed ? You made an amazing work in smoothing the surfaces !!!
The Logan's Run Sandman pistol, Han Solo blaster (I posted my build on the RPF earlier this year - Han Solo blaster with sound), and Space: 1999 stun gun were designed by me in Autodesk Fusion 360 and printed on my resin printer. The classic Battlestar Galactica Colonial pistol was a model I found on thingiverse.com which I printed on my FDM printer.

Love it! Will you be selling the kit ?
No. I've been teaching myself Autodesk Fusion 360 for a few years with the purpose of making replica props. The ones in the photos and a few more I've modeled are only for myself. But, while doing research on them, I've found that there are free and pay versions of the models available online. Instead of buying the digital models I went the hard route and built the 3d model myself in Fusion 360. The advantage is that if something doesn't work while printing the parts I can make any adjustments.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back