Nu Galacita in 1/2500th scale

And that's what makes a good artist... constantly striving to be better.

You ain't too shabby now, Coby... not to shabby at all...

Keep 'em coming...
-r.

Hey Coby, the center section of the engines, the four square holes, is that pattern laser etched, or is it taken from something else? I was studying the photos and wondering how you put them together.

Also, just out of curosity, why don't you like STL, I have used them in the past, and have been pleased with the results, but I never tried to do ultra-small parts or parts with fine etching.

Ummm... I was kidding, the Galactica V2 is a beautiful ship. The Pegasus is very similar to the old design. My guess is when the CGI designers started on the series, they shelved the Pegasus from an early test render of how the Galactica could have looked.

I want to make a CGI Galactica... you would not happen to have an FTP area of high res schematics you could share? Would you?

E-mail me at johnnycommando@gmail.com.

I am flippin' impressed with your detail. Sheesh. Laser cutting and etching... I mean, come on now. That Engine plate is glorious.

You are a wizard.

John

<div class='quotetop'>(cobywan @ Nov 1 2006, 07:51 PM) [snapback]1348839[/snapback]</div>
I'm checking into some reference help on Pegasus.

Thanks for the compliments guys.
[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>(SkyNET @ Nov 16 2006, 04:24 PM) [snapback]1358827[/snapback]</div>
Hey Coby, the center section of the engines, the four square holes, is that pattern laser etched, or is it taken from something else? I was studying the photos and wondering how you put them together.

Also, just out of curosity, why don't you like STL, I have used them in the past, and have been pleased with the results, but I never tried to do ultra-small parts or parts with fine etching.
[/b]

the only things not laser etched on the engine plate are the quarter round engine flashings, the engine bezzles and a couple of chips of styrene. There are about 4 layers of detail.

All the STL parts I've seen have had a ton of contours that needed sanding. That's what I don't like. I've seen some impresive wax printing though.

Coby, man that detail. I don't know what to say, I can't wait until this thing is done. That laser etching you do on those parts, can it be done on fiberglass?

I imagine it would work better on epoxy resins that it would on polyester based ones. I have had fun laser cutting thin sheets of urethane casting resin. I haven't tried to etch the urethane yet. It's one of the next things to try.

Damn Coby, that detail is incredible.

What is the time line to put something like that together. I know that it is time consuming to lay it out in the computer, but once it is ready, how long does it take to etch and cut and assemble. I really want to use this process. It is inspiring.

Great job, I am enjoying seeing this level of work come about.

Dave

Awesome.

Is there an "official" length on the re-imagined Galactica? Jeff Russell's starship dimensions page doesn't show the New G, only the old one, and there seems to be some debate as to the size of the original ship too.

The numbers for the series craft were posted at Starship Builder by a manager at Zoic. So there are "hard" numbers for the new series stuff. (The classic Galactia is a naughtical mile to my thinking by the way.)

Here's today's progress.

http://home.comcast.net/~mfactory/Biggie_G/Engine_T08.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~mfactory/Biggie_G/Engine_T09.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~mfactory/Biggie_G/Engine_T10.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~mfactory/Biggie_G/Engine_T11.jpg

It's slower than I would like but a little bit every day is making a world of difference. Even if I can't make a part I at least get some CAD files set up to send to the lasercutter.

The really shallow detailing on the engine deck is laseretched electrical tape. I had an epiphany last week and had to try it.

I wish I had the mental capacity to begin to understand how you do what you do. Simply brilliant. Can't wait to see this baby finished..

those are spot on--i love your work.

i'm bookmarking this one cause i simply love the detail in this. can't wait to see this baby finished.

after we get intergalactic space-travel technology, you are for sure building my ship.

Envious as anything... :confused

How much equipment and softwre does it take to even have the resources to start somewthing like this - (then mess it up because we lack the requisite skills)...???

Seriously this technique of laser cutting the parts from the computer drawings is off the hook cool - not to mention the scratching skill required to bring it to life... It would be cool to spend a few months just hanging with Coby to pick up the basics of this ...

Jedi Dade

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jedi Dade @ Nov 29 2006, 08:16 AM) [snapback]1367676[/snapback]</div>
Envious as anything... :confused

How much equipment and softwre does it take to even have the resources to start somewthing like this - (then mess it up because we lack the requisite skills)...???

Seriously this technique of laser cutting the parts from the computer drawings is off the hook cool - not to mention the scratching skill required to bring it to life... It would be cool to spend a few months just hanging with Coby to pick up the basics of this ...

Jedi Dade
[/b]
Coby, is just fun to talk to and learn from. I'm very greatful that we resolved our disagreements. Terri got the chance to finally chat with Coby last night and really liked him, and thanked him for being so kind.
But this guy, HAS TO WRITE A BOOK. His knowledge and handling his builds and problem solving are just too cool.
Great work Coby. I finally found the thread you were refering to.
Back to my projects.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back