Nostromo Emergency Destruction System. The big build

Well done on a very ambitious build, look foward to seeing it all finished.
The effort you have put into this so far must be very rewarding, and your attention to detail really shows.

Hi Guys, quick update.

With the spare time I’ve had recently I thought I’d better turn my attention back to the main structure.

As often is the case it takes me an hour or so to get back into it, remembering what I had or hadn’t finished the last time and what still needed doing.
It was at this stage I noticed part of the structure in the main unit (the white level) was far too shallow by about 25mm / 1”.
I felt it was a lot of trouble to alter it so I put it through the bandsaw and threw the bits in the bin!
Two hours later I was back where I started!

Next I turned my attention to the main box structure, which hadn’t had any work done to it since the day it was made.
I finally sorted out the inner walls and glued everything together.
To the walls I added a strip of Mdf to act as a ledge which allows the other components to sit at the correct level.
All the joints and screw holes were filled and I then ran a router over it with a small radius cutter to soften all the edges.

The inner pieces where then trimmed to size and temporarily screwed together.

With these pieces out of the way I turned my attention to the hatch.
There’s a complicated piece on the bottom edge, which looks like it’s a hinge mechanism, but which in reality serves no purpose other than to made it look interesting.

It was at this point I realised that the two box sections either side of it weren’t deep enough.
To rectify this I added a piece of 25mm Mdf to each box.

Setting the hatch aside to dry I started the middle section.
Using Mdf of various thicknesses I made up an open box structure which bolts into place.

The opens ends of the box section will eventually be capped with plates held in position by some purposeful looking fasteners.

At this stage I ran out of time and the only other thing I managed to look at was the outer hatch graphic.

Big thanks to all of you who came up with the correct font for me.
After downloading a copy I converted it into curves and modified it so it looked like a stencil.
I printed it out so you could see what it looks like.

Finally a huge thanks to Stromo for sending me his updated instruction graphic.:)
It is amazing piece of work, which truly captures the look of the original including all it’s quirky faults.

Love the build! The attention to detail is awesome - it must be satisfying. Looking forward to seeing more and Radigast - yea how great is that article about the typography!!?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw this up date a minute ago...

Speechless once again looking at your amazing work, Phil !!!

It's really going to look like the real thing in the end... I just hope it won't blew your home once completed !

;)

Fred

Last edited:
I've no idea what's happened to the photographs as they're still hosted on photobucket. I'll investigate over the weekend.

I know this thread is pretty old but I am looking to build this prop and would be hugely grateful if anyone with any link/pics/info could contact me.
If anyone has contact with Mr Webber or Pro-Mod and could ask them to message me that would be great

Cheers
Graham

We went through a large storm easier this week and are still without power. If no one has posted what you need by the time I'm back online, I'll post some of the images I have on file (assuming they are different from what is still visible in the thread).

We went through a large storm easier this week and are still without power. If no one has posted what you need by the time I'm back online, I'll post some of the images I have on file (assuming they are different from what is still visible in the thread).
Thanks...any luck with those pics?

The pics are on Photobucket but I guess because it has become a subscription only site, the pics will not appear here

This is one prop that always fascinated me as a kid, before I knew I liked props. Such a complex and cool mechanism, what a brilliant idea to build it! I now realize that I've always wanted to do this. :D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back