With the spare time I’ve had recently I thought I’d better turn my attention back to the main structure.
As often is the case it takes me an hour or so to get back into it, remembering what I had or hadn’t finished the last time and what still needed doing.
It was at this stage I noticed part of the structure in the main unit (the white level) was far too shallow by about 25mm / 1”.
I felt it was a lot of trouble to alter it so I put it through the bandsaw and threw the bits in the bin!
Two hours later I was back where I started!
Next I turned my attention to the main box structure, which hadn’t had any work done to it since the day it was made.
I finally sorted out the inner walls and glued everything together.
To the walls I added a strip of Mdf to act as a ledge which allows the other components to sit at the correct level.
All the joints and screw holes were filled and I then ran a router over it with a small radius cutter to soften all the edges.
The inner pieces where then trimmed to size and temporarily screwed together.
With these pieces out of the way I turned my attention to the hatch.
There’s a complicated piece on the bottom edge, which looks like it’s a hinge mechanism, but which in reality serves no purpose other than to made it look interesting.
It was at this point I realised that the two box sections either side of it weren’t deep enough.
To rectify this I added a piece of 25mm Mdf to each box.
Setting the hatch aside to dry I started the middle section.
Using Mdf of various thicknesses I made up an open box structure which bolts into place.
The opens ends of the box section will eventually be capped with plates held in position by some purposeful looking fasteners.
At this stage I ran out of time and the only other thing I managed to look at was the outer hatch graphic.
Big thanks to all of you who came up with the correct font for me.
After downloading a copy I converted it into curves and modified it so it looked like a stencil.
I printed it out so you could see what it looks like.
Finally a huge thanks to Stromo for sending me his updated instruction graphic.
It is amazing piece of work, which truly captures the look of the original including all it’s quirky faults.