Nostromo Emergency Destruction System. The big build

Thanks everybody.
Its great comments like these that keep you going on a complicated build like this!

Mr Webber, I've just watched yet again the detonation sequence on Blue-ray and I’m certain that the large outer and smaller inner tubes aren’t frosted. In one shot you can clearly look through them and see the edge of the hole it rises through.

They only tube I was originally planning on frosting was the one in the middle, and only so that it would hide the chromed tube or its mechanism.

However, now you mention it, I may have to lightly frost the smaller ones as well so you can’t see down the hole when it’s in the up position.

Complicated stuff this prop making!

Can anybody help me please by providing a Blue-ray / high res screen grab of the top keypad from the unit?

I've got all the text details for the other two and it would be a shame not to have the top one as accurate.

Thanks in anticipation.

Phil

Managed to do a bit more in the last couple of days.
It’s amazing how a few small pieces (sheets) of Mdf and plastic can turn it something with so much presence!!!!
Construction was quite straightforward but it would benefit from having a hatch cut into one face to allow access to the interior mechanics.

Unfortunately, after looking at some of the original photographs I’ve realised that the white plastic section should be twice as deep as I’ve made it, and it will need remaking.

Having got this far I’m going to have to have a go at what I think is the most difficult piece of the entire build – the hatch.
Should keep me busy for a while!

Unfortunately, after looking at some of the original photographs I’ve realised that the white plastic section should be twice as deep as I’ve made it, and it will need remaking.

If you mean the white part around the top of the box...
Looking at the image at the top of this page, I'd say the white part needs to drop about another 1/4" & then should be about as thick as the overall drop, if you get me.

This is comming along really nice (y)thumbsup:thumbsup Loving this build :)

Spike, thanks for the great photographs of the keypad.
Leigh, I'll get my ruler out and see if I can get it right next time!
It's amazing how many times you can study something and still get it wrong!!

So I've been looking at the last major component of this build - the hatch.

I've been putting it off until last because to be honest, it's the one item with the least material available as well as being probably the most difficult to produce.

I was fortunate enough to be sent some shots by Skin Job 66 and these have proved to be invaluable in helping work out what the thing looks like.

In the film it's all fast cutting and smoke hazes, and the only area seen for any length of time is the inside bottom corners.

What I've managed to produce so far, after some trial and error is a full size cardboard template of what I believe the front face looks like.

I've designed it around Stromo's graphic panel, and I think the proportions have worked out quite well.

Next step will be to replicate the template in Mdf and start building upwards.

Time to tackle the hatch!

Front
From the cardboard template I drew up the shape of the outer and inner profiles and cut them from 6mm Mdf.
These were spaced apart with 12mm sections and glued together.

Rear
The side walls were bevelled on the saw and taped in position whilst I cut the top plate.
Unfortunately it was only as I taped the top plate in position that I realised that I’d cut the side walls too short, forgetting the reverse angle of the corner.

Rather than re-cut the sides I lazily elected to just cut some sections and glue them into position - nothing a bit of filler won’t correct!

The front inside angled walls went in okay - even remembering to get the corners right!

I decided to make the vertical walls with the lighting slots from 3mm acrylic rather than Mdf as you don’t have the problem of trying to clean up the edges of the slots.

Once everything was checked for square I turned my attention to the inside corners.
These were quite simply produced by pressing pieces of tube wrapped in tape (to stop it sticking) into car filler and trimming to shape once it had gone off.

The plate in the bottom was screwed into position should something need altering later.

Next time I hope to get all the corners sorted and the joints filled.

This is looking GREAT!!

Imagine if you had to go through all the processes of deactivating the system to turn off your bedside alarm!!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back