Building the Nostromo Emergency Destruction System Unit....Lid Finished-ish.

Re: Building the Nostromo Emergency Destruction System Unit.....Possible?

Fred, your friendship and genourosity have been an invaluable help over the journey, merci. The pics of the bolts and lid are fantastic.

Mr. Webber, what's that third triangular patch? I've never seen that before. It's not even in the portfolio.

-Mike J.

The French are big on nuclear power.
So it makes sense that perhaps they were contractors for the destruct system.

What is odd is the ESD warnings.

Really? Should a nuclear detonation system be ESD sensitive???

Oops, I forgot to wear my wrist strap. KABOOOOM!

The stickers probably just looked cool. And were kinda new at that time.
Now we see the warnings on all kinds of electronics.

French is also a popular 'international' language.

-MJ

I like how the scuttle instructions are also in French.

John Hurt was not in the original production. After a few days of initial filming,
Sir Ridley replaced a famous French actor with him.

View attachment 48142

Vive La France!

Oh yes Tim, I remember that guy, "the one from the Gonzo Division", as Karl called him !

:)

Thank you mate for your kind words, your amazing projects... and also your generosity !

:angel

Fred

I have this saved from some auction or something. No idea as to it's provenance or if it's even replicating something from the film.

"Mother? I've turned the cooling pumps back on."

The French are big on nuclear power.
So it makes sense that perhaps they were contractors for the destruct system.

Interesting theory, must admit I never thought about it before !

:eek

We had some interesting thoughts about it on propsummit 2 years ago, please follow this link and then scroll down to one of my last posts for more :

Propsummit.com a Blade Runner Prop Community Forum BladeRunnerProps.comView topic - THE CABINET OF CURIOSITIES

Fred

PS : IIRC German markings could also be seen here and there on the bridge...

Mr. Webber, what's that third triangular patch? I've never seen that before. It's not even in the portfolio.

-Mike J.

Its a special one i had made for Fred from his design Mike as we theorised that there must have been one at the start of production or the idea for them came after Hurt jioned the cast, only two were made.

The text and graphics on the inside of the lid will either come from someone generous and talented here or i will have to pay for someone to design them. It would be simple to fit sidelights to the inside of the lid, more difficult but still possible even if lid is foam.

View attachment 48017

I'm helping Mr Webber with the text/graphics for this screen. If anyone is able to supply a higher resolution version of this picture, or others of the screen, it would be much appreciated.

SKIN JOB 66, I've already caught your image and French text on that other forum, so merci beaucoup for that.

I'm helping Mr Webber with the text/graphics for this screen. If anyone is able to supply a higher resolution version of this picture, or others of the screen, it would be much appreciated.

SKIN JOB 66, I've already caught your image and French text on that other forum, so merci beaucoup for that.

You're very welcome stromo, always glad to help !

:)

Fred

Is there an emoticon somewhere for "why don't you go **** yourself, ******* ?"

Really tired to read these kind of things... especially from the citizen of a country who regularly destroys the populations it's supposed to "save".

Fred

Fred, you are correct. It was a stupid thing to say. My apologies.

I also see Shakti, another SW character, on one of the buttons.

I don't know about the complete destruction mechanism, but I would take a few of the activator bolts Fred linked to.

Another great project, Tim !

Regarding the bolts, here they are...

Found them here :

Four Nostromo detonator activation bolts from Alien - Prop Archives : original movie props, screen used wardrobe

There's also a description that could help you reproduce them :

Each bolt is beautifully constructed of hand-turned aluminum, brass ends and acrylic tips with hand-painted detail. Each bolt measures 6 ¼ in. long x 1 ¼ in. diameter.

Fred
Interesting... I did a little "research" on clutch plates, and found a 'clutch plate removal tool' that looks familiar.:eek
I6

Did you miss the one I posted on the first page?

Interesting... I did a little "research" on clutch plates, and found a 'clutch plate removal tool' that looks familiar.:eek
I6

Good catch I6 !!!

I'm not that surprised to see some parts related to each other... I currently work on a Blade Runner VIDPHON project and discovered after comparing (blurry) shots from the film that ALL the wiggets seen on it probably came from the real phone used as the basis for the prop...

It's just my impression but these bolts remind me of Lightsabers each time I look at them, or at least the way they were probably made ? (Remember both props were made in the UK) Any chance some of their parts were also used on some of the original trilogy sabers ? (I'm not a SW expert, must admit, that's why I ask)

Fred

Last edited:

I have this saved from some auction or something. No idea as to it's provenance or if it's even replicating something from the film.

"Mother? I've turned the cooling pumps back on."

We talked about it at a certain point on propsummit, iirc... but damn, didn't find where on the board... damn memory... (but I think it was used as set dressing somewhere on the Nostromo)

Andy, any idea ???

:confused

Fred

I6

Thats really great I6, i thought it might have been a type of clutch plate cause my dads got a couple of MF tractors and although much bigger, have the same vibe. Ive never seen that removal tool before, its almost the exact thing.

Definately on the right track now. I think a search of British made clutch plates from the mid 70`s, unless that was what you were looking at anyway, may reveal some more. Thanks again. :cool

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back