Norris Spider Head from The Thing reference photos

At “Outpost 31” a website on THE THING…someone had a picture of a facehugger attached to the Norris spider…but I can’t find that either…

I took these a couple of weeks ago at Universal Florida....

Attachments

• IMG_20211222_144613423.jpg
    IMG_20211222_144613423.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_20211222_144627830.jpg
    IMG_20211222_144627830.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 212
one of the covers of cinefantastique magazine had rob with a good shot of one of the heads and there may be a shot in makeup artist magazine, a two part review of robs work, can't find the issues as they are all in storage, good luck with it

Thanks stussy - I have no idea why I wasn't flagged, but I stopped by this thread because of the subject title. I am working off of an older kit that had very fragile legs that were broken, so my Norris is going to be a Frankenstein's monster of the head from the kit and 3D printed legs. There really isn't a "screen accurate" Norris head out there of all of the ones I have seen. The heads are all sculpts of Charles Hallahan's head and then some form of crab or spider-like legs. Even the Norris head in the movie has different legs from scene to scene. I just started working on my Norris head again this week after a break from the holidays.

Thanks to everyone that has replied. It looks like there is a lot of "hybrid" material our there and less of the original head itself. Did I read on Space Jockeys post that the original was destroyed in a fire on set?

Thanks stussy - I have no idea why I wasn't flagged, but I stopped by this thread because of the subject title. I am working off of an older kit that had very fragile legs that were broken, so my Norris is going to be a Frankenstein's monster of the head from the kit and 3D printed legs. There really isn't a "screen accurate" Norris head out there of all of the ones I have seen. The heads are all sculpts of Charles Hallahan's head and then some form of crab or spider-like legs. Even the Norris head in the movie has different legs from scene to scene. I just started working on my Norris head again this week after a break from the holidays.
I noticed the legs are different, I am currently "kind of" working from the photos that are kicking around of Rob and the head, like the one attached...

e32223e88ec500d848633bdf3c7048f8.jpeg

Thanks Nick, appreciate the photos though they are all the ones I am using as reference! Saying that, some are better quality than what I have, so thank you.

It’s very tricky to get any reference on all the angles so there will have to be a fair bit of artistic licence on parts.

Also, it looks very much like this is a press release version of the head and not one used in the film but that cool as it looks better with the prickly legs.

I am currently trying to design a mechanism that will let me have articulated legs, nothing too ambitious haha

I figured these were the ones you were using. Just thought it'd be nice to get in them all in one spot.

Can't wait to see this thing come together! You are really capturing the correct vibe already.

I figured these were the ones you were using. Just thought it'd be nice to get in them all in one spot.

Can't wait to see this thing come together! You are really capturing the correct vibe already.
Thanks Nick, it is tricky to get the same look as the one in the publicity photos but as long as I get close, I will be happy!

Creating the mold and casting them out is going to be challenging!

Not sure if this could possibly help you or not, but have you seen the McFarlane Movie Maniacs Norris head? I know it's not a reference image, but maybe it could help you with some of the angles you need? Its just a toy but it could help out.

Not sure if this could possibly help you or not, but have you seen the McFarlane Movie Maniacs Norris head? I know it's not a reference image, but maybe it could help you with some of the angles you need? Its just a toy but it could help out.
Thanks, I had a look and it's not too bad for reference. I think there needs to be a fair bit of artistic licence with this project though.

No photos of the back of the head/neck sadly

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back