Nike Mag V2 Mod Discussion (Page 58 Shopping List)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone I'm brand new to the RPF. I'm looking for answers to specific questions to modding the lights of my HC shoes.I currently have battery powered NIKE strap. The rest of the lights (ankle cups, soles) are untouched.

WHAT I WANT TO DO IS THE FOLLOWING:

1) upgrade to EL soles

2) leave the ankle cup lights as is (unless someone can convince me otherwise)

3) power all the electronics into 1 rechargeable power source.

I know that the information for this is out here but there are so many pages I wouldn't know where to begin.
OR
does someone sell an already assembled kit???

Someone please help!!!!

Hi,

If you want to upgrade, I have most of the components available in the Junkyard.

I have full EL Soles, precut and premade, the most accurate and correct coloured ones in cyan, same with the strap panels in cyan.
The full kit has an EL Panel based ankle lighting area to simulate the red,yellow green LEDs.

If you are wanting an LED ankle area, then you would need to solder that yourself.

The full kit thats on offer in junkyard is a full EL lighting kit, so basically everything is EL powered lighting. You could leave out the EL ankle lighting if you are wanting to put the LED ankle lighting. The difference between the EL Ankle lighting is that it isn't as bright as an LED ankle lighting, but its a good alternative if you are not wanting to mess around with LED soldering.

hope that helps.

Hello everyone I'm brand new to the RPF. I'm looking for answers to specific questions to modding the lights of my HC shoes.I currently have battery powered NIKE strap. The rest of the lights (ankle cups, soles) are untouched.

WHAT I WANT TO DO IS THE FOLLOWING:

1) upgrade to EL soles

2) leave the ankle cup lights as is (unless someone can convince me otherwise)

3) power all the electronics into 1 rechargeable power source.

I know that the information for this is out here but there are so many pages I wouldn't know where to begin.
OR
does someone sell an already assembled kit???

Someone please help!!!!

I know that AirAir does sell a kit with everthing other than a battery clip and pushbutton, But since you have a battery powered strap you might have to make the sole lights and strap lights come on separetly, with replacing the lights in the ankle bubble lights I highly recommended you to replace them]. Mainly when getting these shoe (which I have 2 pairs) the right shoe would always give me trouble meaning they would stop working after a few wear un modded. You have 2 options when doing a mod on the ankle bubble lights option oone it do an all el setup or you can do the leds and resistors *BUT* it has to be wired before the inverter due to leds run on dc rather than ac like el. But to power all electronics using on rechargable battery is a bit difficult unless you can wire everything to one system. I highly recommend page 58 and a few here and there but maily 58 to see what you might need. I did do a full out mod on my pair you can find it here http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=228319&page=19

I know that AirAir does sell a kit with everthing other than a battery clip and pushbutton, But since you have a battery powered strap you might have to make the sole lights and strap lights come on separetly, with replacing the lights in the ankle bubble lights I highly recommended you to replace them]. Mainly when getting these shoe (which I have 2 pairs) the right shoe would always give me trouble meaning they would stop working after a few wear un modded. You have 2 options when doing a mod on the ankle bubble lights option oone it do an all el setup or you can do the leds and resistors *BUT* it has to be wired before the inverter due to leds run on dc rather than ac like el. But to power all electronics using on rechargable battery is a bit difficult unless you can wire everything to one system. I highly recommend page 58 and a few here and there but maily 58 to see what you might need. I did do a full out mod on my pair you can find it here http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=228319&page=19

Adding led ankle lighting instead of el lighting is not complex.

You just add it to the wiring diagram as specified. It means 2 extra soldering points.

There's only 5 soldering joints on a normal el panels and led setup.

It wouldn't be difficult to remove the ankle el panel and use led with resistor ankle board.

I did a comparison test of my panels compared with the other panels I have, and they are the exact shade of cyan as the originals.

Most panels people are getting are blue aqua.

I was surprised how incorrect the blue looks compared with the correct cyan panel.

It's a massive difference.

I will try take a picture using a new camera ive got. The reason why in pictures the previous panels looked sort of cyan, is because of the yellowy soles. When you place the blue aqua panels in the yellowy clear soles, the lights appear slightly greener, hence why the strap panel looks more blue aqua.

I will do a comparison set of pics as the difference is quite notable.
A lot of the EL panel sellers, when you tell them you want cyan, they just keep giving aqua blue green, but its mostly blue colour, so thats where the problem lies.

Last edited:
Adding led ankle lighting instead of el lighting is not complex.

You just add it to the wiring diagram as specified. It means 2 extra soldering points.

There's only 5 soldering joints on a normal el panels and led setup.

It wouldn't be difficult to remove the ankle el panel and use led with resistor ankle board.

I did a comparison test of my panels compared with the other panels I have, and they are the exact shade of cyan as the originals.

Most panels people are getting are blue aqua.

I was surprised how incorrect the blue looks compared with the correct cyan panel.

It's a massive difference.

I will try take a picture using a new camera ive got. The reason why in pictures the previous panels looked sort of cyan, is because of the yellowy soles. When you place the blue aqua panels in the yellowy clear soles, the lights appear slightly greener, hence why the strap panel looks more blue aqua.

I will do a comparison set of pics as the difference is quite notable.
A lot of the EL panel sellers, when you tell them you want cyan, they just keep giving aqua blue green, but its mostly blue colour, so thats where the problem lies.

What about the RD Nike release ? are they using the right ones too ? and about your el panel I do agree with you about the shade of aqua, and is your half moon shape els work for all shoes ?

Hello all,

I'm currently modding up my V2s (this is my first atempt at a full mod) and have a question:

I have a set of Airair's EL panels for the sole. These are going in a pair of size 8 Mags. The question I have is whether these EL panels typically go between the clear sole and the gray rubber sole, or whether the panel goes on the inside of the shoe BEHIND the gray sole. The reason I ask is because I'm trying to figure out how best to run the wire that runs to the battery. Putting the panels on the inside of the shoe doesn't seem to work since the gray rubber inside the shoe blocks the area where the cable would run (or do I need to clear a path using a Dremel or something?). Alternately, if I put the panels between the gray sole and clear sole, the cable has to tuck in through the hole closest to the heel, which extends the EL too far forward to fit under the clear sole that way. Even if it didn't, that gray sole on the inside still interferes with the cable

Thoughts? If it doesn't look like these are going to work with of size 8 Mags, I'll need to go to plan B.

IMG_6210.JPGIMG_6209.JPG

Hello all,

I'm currently modding up my V2s (this is my first atempt at a full mod) and have a question:

I have a set of Airair's EL panels for the sole. These are going in a pair of size 8 Mags. The question I have is whether these EL panels typically go between the clear sole and the gray rubber sole, or whether the panel goes on the inside of the shoe BEHIND the gray sole. The reason I ask is because I'm trying to figure out how best to run the wire that runs to the battery. Putting the panels on the inside of the shoe doesn't seem to work since the gray rubber inside the shoe blocks the area where the cable would run (or do I need to clear a path using a Dremel or something?). Alternately, if I put the panels between the gray sole and clear sole, the cable has to tuck in through the hole closest to the heel, which extends the EL too far forward to fit under the clear sole that way. Even if it didn't, that gray sole on the inside still interferes with the cable

Thoughts? If it doesn't look like these are going to work with of size 8 Mags, I'll need to go to plan B.

View attachment 603942View attachment 603941

I think most people on here (myself included) put the EL between the clear sole and the grey midsole.

When i did mine i bent the wires to run back behind the EL and then slid them up through the cutout sections to the sole area.

Gotcha, though the spot where I'd have to bend the wires back appears to be the area where the wires are joined to the EL. I was concerned that the connection would be compromised if I tried that.

Gotcha, though the spot where I'd have to bend the wires back appears to be the area where the wires are joined to the EL. I was concerned that the connection would be compromised if I tried that.

Hi
Just bend the panel where the black heatshrink starts behind the paneland feed through the hole.
The connection wont be affected.
Just done 2 pairs recently.

Always put panel on the grey rubber not behind it.

I think most people on here (myself included) put the EL between the clear sole and the grey midsole.

When i did mine i bent the wires to run back behind the EL and then slid them up through the cutout sections to the sole area.

Here's a fully EL Panel Light Up V2 Replica. I did the video with a Pansonic Lumix, but im not sure how to get it to accurately show the lighting?
Always looks blue rather than its actual colour of cyan.

The sole lights are folded back where the black heatshrink starts and fit into the sole very nicely.
In this example, the white straps were made from scratch using faux leather and using a stiff material inside which gives is a strong feel just like the original V2 straps.

The video doesn't do the actual Cyan colour panel justice. In the video they are looking way too blue but in reality they are cyan just like the RD lights.
They are actual cyan, not blue aqua, so they should be more or less identical to the RD ones.

I'm still working to see if a 9v LED ankle board can be made, thus making it optional to choose either use an EL Ankle lighting panel or the regular LED ankle panel depending on preference for screen accuracy lighting, everything premade, so just plug and play and minor soldering.

Whilst LEDs in the ankle area are brighter than the fully EL Panel, the EL Ankle panel is still quite bright and gives super long battery life, as everything is EL lighting, so no LEDs sucking the power down quick, so its an alternative to the screen accurate method of LEDs.

Last edited by a moderator:
EARL. Really? That is not even catchy. It sounds like grand-pa slippers.

I do like the lights and given how bright they are in the follow up video. They must be LEDs, not EL. If it is LED, the diffuser creates a nice even light. Of course, there is the issue of electrics in a shoe.

I wonder how much these will sell for and how long they last.

EARL!
They do look nice, I wonder how they fitted everything in though, incredible achievement.
Looks like its the exact same system as the Mag Lacing prototype they showed last year.

You're not far off! They obviously did this to stall a little longer. They will eventually be on the mags but this is their way of trying to keep us from demanding the real thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back