Nike Mag V2 Mod Discussion (Page 58 Shopping List)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dear! I have seen more pictures of the unbranded knockoffs direct from the factory. The uppers are terrible! Ugly as hell! Especially the white puffy piece collars.

They actually make the branded v2 look like a work of art in comparison!

I'm also astonished at how cheap they are! (only if ordering a few thousand). I can actually buy them if I want, but I would need to order at least a thousand pairs.

Put it this way, Halloween costumes is making a HUGE markup!

Man, im in the wrong job!

Im in the process of finding out the cost of making changes to the shape of the soles and clear soles and the uppers. The heel I think can be left alone. I'm also asking about why non uv stable clear rubber has been used.

Even slight changes to the grey midsole and clear are likely to mean making a new mould.

I'm seriously tempted to get a 1:1 unbranded non lightup version made!

Just not sure if anyone would sue me!

I would only get it if they use uv stable rubber that isn't going to turn **** yellow.

Last edited:
That is interesting. With the LiteLong 880mah, mine last over 6 hours. The green LEDs begin to fade out in the last hour, then the yellow, and in the last 30 min or so, only red is left. Then the red LEDs and EL go out at the same time.

Wow, 880mah. I bet they're awesome. I'm guessing that's the highest capacity 9 volter out there?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm seriously tempted to get a 1:1 unbranded non lightup version made!

If you could get them identical with the back section 'drooping' down and the flared waffles (how else do you describe them?!) I'd be game to put some development cost in. I'm sure Brad and a few others would too!

Just another thought all....

Why are we all stuffing tiny 9v batteries in the soles and only getting a few hours? Why don't we just make some custom wiring harnesses that run from the shoes, up your jeans and link to a huge battery that you can have in your pocket? Let's be honest, we don't take them off on a night out, and even if we do, it could have a click fit connector which could hide behind the buckle or possibly peep out of the leather upper where the Judco would usually go.

It would be brill to not have to worry about it on a night out, checking for dimming green LEDs and then to only have EL later on through the night.

That is cool how the LEDs fade out with green first.

Today I went to see the local EL guy and whilst his prioces seem fair, he didn't have what I want or need in stock. His EL sheets are pink when off, not white and he said he will have to get a sample of (white off) Aqua in. He has a pretty blue, but it is a 3" wide strip with only one set of terminals. He also laminates his EL as he said that moisture can creep in and the sheet will change colour when lit.

From there, it was off to the casting supplier and they had some colour samples showing the various pigments you can add to the clear.

BLUE TINT
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd...._=1418304666_99412fd1fe8cf6325056fa6e787cad0f

FLURO TINT
https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net...=b3a6bf204ec5c435b7e61c99c413abed&oe=54C6F1C9

Sorry for the blury image. How cool would fluro soles be if they came in blue? I do like the green.

What about translucent white?

They're non-rechargeable though. My research on this subject has revealed that rechargeable 9 volt batteries don't go higher than 900mah.
http://m.aliexpress.com/item/1180886466.html?tracelog=storedetail2mobilesitedetail
880mAh-SUPER-BIG-9v-li-ion-lithium-Rechargeable-9-Volt-Battery-Manufacturer-s-5-years-warranty.jpg_250x250.jpg

Last edited:
I'm also astonished at how cheap they are! (only if ordering a few thousand). I can actually buy them if I want, but I would need to order at least a thousand pairs.

I asked our Chinese friend Karin about these shoes and she sticks to the same story of two years ago where the V2s were originally listed at $109USD and no one would actually got them at that price - suggesting that come release date, the price will be much higher. A good tease though. What I find interesting is that the number late teens and early 20's suddenly interested in these shoes sending pics to all their friends with a "WANT!".

Yeah I am sure if you placed an order for 1000 pair, you'd get a MAGnificent deal price. Clicking on several of the sellers at places like Ali-barber and seems into total they have not sold much past 1000. The highest I found was 90+ pairs sold from any of the stores. This will explain why we've seen no updates to the V2 and this new V3 (if we can call it that) is a massive step backwards IMO. They would need (and maybe next year they will) to sell 10 000 pairs to justify the price of new molds.

But why the unnecessary extra stitching? I think the round hole can be modded. The puffy colllar, well that almost makes them not worth buying in the first place much less modding.
Despite what Karin said, these ARE from the same factory because the ankle buckle and other rubber parts are identical (apart from the non branded hell cup) as the V2. I'd dsay that they just filled that part of the mold with something that can be removed later for these shoes.

The rubber is crap and why it yellows. I bought more clear yesterday and there has been yet another price increase. But it is UV stabilized and should stay clear for at least 10 years.

- - - Updated - - -

What about translucent white?

Yes you could have that added.

These new knockoffs would really only be of good use if custom uppers were made. Now it's less of an investment than $240 to just use the soles, heel cup, and ankle buckle.

These new knockoffs would really only be of good use if custom uppers were made. Now it's less of an investment than $240 to just use the soles, heel cup, and ankle buckle.

I can actually tell the factory to make new uppers at no extra cost if I am ordering more than 1000 of these unbranded knockoffs.

That would mean the grey and clear soles remain the same, but the uppers would be as close to 1:1 accurate.

They use polyurethane rubber for the grey soles and cheaper rubber for the clear soles hence the dirty yellowing. They don't have uv stable clear rubber.
Im waiting for them to tell me if they can use better uv stable rubber.

Do you think the same unbranded soles and heel, ankle piece but with a 1:1 set of uppers would be acceptable?

Without the crappy electronics they will be cheaper.

I can actually tell the factory to make new uppers at no extra cost if I am ordering more than 1000 of these unbranded knockoffs.

That would mean the grey and clear soles remain the same, but the uppers would be as close to 1:1 accurate.

They use polyurethane rubber for the grey soles and cheaper rubber for the clear soles hence the dirty yellowing. They don't have uv stable clear rubber.
Im waiting for them to tell me if they can use better uv stable rubber.

Do you think the same unbranded soles and heel, ankle piece but with a 1:1 set of uppers would be acceptable?

That would be awesome! I'm sure everyone in the community would appreciate that. Buying 1000 pairs is quite an investment though. I don't imagine you would have the funds for such an order. You don't happen to know 1000 people who would be interested in going through you to go in on this would you? XD

Oh and if this does come to pass then you should send them the official upper patterns released by Nike. They would have no problem recreating them with those. They would also have no excuse if they somehow screw it up.
10156110_10152331418348841_3467427090161549315_n.jpg

And speaking of taking things out. The velcro needs to go.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if these new knockoffs are true to size? The original V2s were about 1/2 size bigger than their listed size and I'm not sure if this is still the case with the unbranded ones.

What ball park price are you thinking. Under $150 and I would all over them.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know if these new knockoffs are true to size? The original V2s were about 1/2 size bigger than their listed size and I'm not sure if this is still the case with the unbranded ones.
Given the soles are same as the V2, I am going to suggest that they are the same in size.

Hey I just bought a pair of air mags and when I charge up the shoes they light up fine but when I try to turn on the left shoe it doesn't light up because of the switch is broke any tips on how to fix this?

Hey I just bought a pair of air mags and when I charge up the shoes they light up fine but when I try to turn on the left shoe it doesn't light up because of the switch is broke any tips on how to fix this?

Same thing happened to both my shoes in the early days of wearing them. Cheap, nasty electronics. The wires break off and the only thing to do is replace them when you upgrade the electronics..

That would be awesome! I'm sure everyone in the community would appreciate that. Buying 1000 pairs is quite an investment though. I don't imagine you would have the funds for such an order. You don't happen to know 1000 people who would be interested in going through you to go in on this would you? XD

Oh and if this does come to pass then you should send them the official upper patterns released by Nike. They would have no problem recreating them with those. They would also have no excuse if they somehow screw it up.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd...._=1422435073_b803fd5780e66e40b54f3bdf2a8bd243

And speaking of taking things out. The velcro needs to go.

If Halloween Costumes can sell that unbranded knockoff with poor uppers, i'm pretty sure a more accurate 1:1 set of uppers with the same soles, heel would still be far better.
Since its not going to cost anything more, its probably worth a go.
Any changes made to the soles will neccessitate a new mold for each different size, which can be a bit costly!

They can either leave the same electronics in or can take it out or, I could potentially tell them to make entire new electronics with EL panels in the sole and strap, and leds, but this would be another cost, and if not changing the soles, then there is no real point.
Then, however, the issue arises as to what to put on the logo on the strap. It could just be a case of leaving a plain non logo EL Panel in the strap.

Cheapest scenario is simply to have new 1:1 accurate uppers, while keeping the soles, heel the same. That would still mean yellow soles, as I think UV stable rubber will cost more.

- - - Updated - - -

What ball park price are you thinking. Under $150 and I would all over them.

- - - Updated - - -

Given the soles are same as the V2, I am going to suggest that they are the same in size.

Oh yes, the price can definitely be under $150, more like $100, but preferably around $80 or something.

Its a big investment though, I'm trying to work out some funds at the moment.

I am actually in the middle of an own design of a sneaker (non mag related), so i'm considering this as an extra.

I can tell you though that most factories will specify you order at least 1000 and usually 2000 or more pairs normally of a design.

They don't like short runs.

cool about $80 per pair for uppers made with the Nike patterns, I'd be in for a couple of pairs!
The V1 midsoles were a good comfortable foam, even if the design wasn't spot on. None of my V1's have had midsole yellowing.
Even if we did have to paint the V2 soles with some sort of matt uv protectant as soon as they arrived, for the price, yeah!
I wouldnt be bothered asking them about putting in electronics though.

I can tell you though that most factories will specify you order at least 1000 and usually 2000 or more pairs normally of a design.

They don't like short runs.

That is typical of the Chinese manufacturing culture. They do that with pretty much everything if they can.

Same thing happened to both my shoes in the early days of wearing them. Cheap, nasty electronics. The wires break off and the only thing to do is replace them when you upgrade the electronics..

I might have to send them to somebody else to fix them the last thing I wanna do is mess them up more than it is :/ would watch a YouTube tutorial but idk any good ones

If awareness that more accurate shoes can be made with 1000+ people to support it I think we could have a shot. It's not hard to believe that more than 1000 people want this to happen. We would have to branch outside of therpf to make it possible. Maybe a kickstarter?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back