Nike Mag V2 Mod Discussion (Page 58 Shopping List)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What grey paint did you use for the sole DragonGalvy? It looks really good!

It's a textile acrylic I got through Ebay, 'Jaquard Textile 137 Neutral Gray' but it scratches off the rubber (which had yellowed a lot) really easily, so I overcoated it with a supposedly matt clear, but you can still see the shinyness of the clear top coat more than I wanted. At least it protects the grey underneath. You can see how much the sole yellowed by looking at the clear part :(
If you want to sell clear soles eventually Cavx, I might get another pair of V2's just to swap the soles over (much to my girlfriends complaints) and clear coat the midsole before it goes yellow with a better matt finish clear.

It's a textile acrylic I got through Ebay, 'Jaquard Textile 137 Neutral Gray' but it scratches off the rubber (which had yellowed a lot) really easily, so I overcoated it with a supposedly matt clear, but you can still see the shinyness of the clear top coat more than I wanted. At least it protects the grey underneath. You can see how much the sole yellowed by looking at the clear part :(
If you want to sell clear soles eventually Cavx, I might get another pair of V2's just to swap the soles over (much to my girlfriends complaints) and clear coat the midsole before it goes yellow with a better matt finish clear.

Tomorrow I will go back to Barnes (to get more Pinkysil) and will ask them what rubber compounds they have that might be suitable for coating the mid-sole.

How did I miss this, nice job Cavx! The ankle buckles and clear soles they look great![emoji106]

Hey thank you Taff83. Yeah I am liking them :)

Currently re-doing the molds for the rear parts as I had some issues. Should be sorted this time though.

Had to make new molds tonight. Hopefully these are the last I have to make as this is getting expensive.
10570302_10152587800988841_7346645857299366644_n.jpg

This is currently setting up now full of clear. I can't de-mold for 6 hours, so will check these in the morning. Hopefully a good result.

PS the guys at the molding and casting place didn't really have any ideas about what stuff to use on the sole. He actually suggested a rubberized cauking (which is white) that might be able to be tinted grey. The thing is, you'd have to coat the mid-sole in one go so it forms a skin. Not the easiest thing to do and still keep it off the fabric. I might give that a miss at this stage.

Last edited:
the guys at the molding and casting place didn't really have any ideas about what stuff to use on the sole. He actually suggested a rubberized cauking (which is white) that might be able to be tinted grey. The thing is, you'd have to coat the mid-sole in one go so it forms a skin. Not the easiest thing to do and still keep it off the fabric. I might give that a miss at this stage.

I've mentioned several times that vinyl, and even better RUBBER, dye as used to restore cars is the way to go. It actually soaks in and chemically bonds to the substrate, can be tinted to whatever color you want, and is UV stable/resistant. Still I keep seeing posts that mention acrylic paint and every other sort of coating that is doomed to scratch off easier than the metallic coating on a lottery ticket. Rubberized caulking?

Do you have a link to a product? If so, I am willing to experiment on my pair for the community.

UPDATE on the clear sole project.
1044993_10152588940933841_3888675200753354977_n.jpg

10561680_10152588941008841_3522887677810168032_n.jpg

10511191_10152588941138841_8262693432416297066_n.jpg

10568804_10152588941248841_1519022644455363500_n.jpg

I've mentioned several times that vinyl, and even better RUBBER, dye as used to restore cars is the way to go. It actually soaks in and chemically bonds to the substrate, can be tinted to whatever color you want, and is UV stable/resistant. Still I keep seeing posts that mention acrylic paint and every other sort of coating that is doomed to scratch off easier than the metallic coating on a lottery ticket. Rubberized caulking?

Cavx and I have both found a car dye which is for vinyl and material, which works well (on some random things I tried) but the colour is too dark and being in a spray canister, cannot be mixed down to a lighter shade. We haven't been able to find one where you can choose the tint colour or we can mix our own. Have you ever seen one of those dyes in a liquid container? The closest in the right colour I could find was a textile paint. Perhaps the product is not available in Australia?

- - - Updated - - -

Lookin' good Cavx! Have you got a mini-grinder (check the current or last week's Aldi catalogues) to wear down to smooth the edges or any bits that don't fit right? The bubbles give the outsole a nice sparkly look actually, which really shows with the lights on. :D

Cavx and I have both found a car dye which is for vinyl and material, which works well (on some random things I tried) but the colour is too dark and being in a spray canister, cannot be mixed down to a lighter shade. We haven't been able to find one where you can choose the tint colour or we can mix our own. Have you ever seen one of those dyes in a liquid container? The closest in the right colour I could find was a textile paint. Perhaps the product is not available in Australia?

- - - Updated - - -

Lookin' good Cavx! Have you got a mini-grinder (check the current or last week's Aldi catalogues) to wear down to smooth the edges or any bits that don't fit right? The bubbles give the outsole a nice sparkly look actually, which really shows with the lights on. :D

The only paint I think is going to work is that same paint I used on my V1s and 2015 (red) jacket. If you were to de-pressurize the spray can, pour out the paint out, it might be possible to lighten it with the white version. The paint I refer to is that dupli colour for car interiors.

yeah I have the dremel tool that plugs into the side of the mini bench grinder already. I did use that on the master. The issue is that you need to be careful not to grind off detail off the bottom whilst trimming the sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back