Nike Mag V2 Mod Discussion (Page 58 Shopping List)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your welcome :)

Hey Cavx, Do you know of anyone still doing the mods. i would like to get a pair done or buy a pair for a graduation gift. I've read and watched several tutorial videos but I don’t have the time to do the mods myself or the skills like a few of the maters on here. Thanks in advance for any help.

There are a few that have done the mods. I'm not sure if they want to do the mods for others as this can be taxing. Guys like airair, Jedifyfe and maybe Taff83 and Mitas might do them for you at a price if you PM them.

And the pair I'm doing for myself are my first ones ever, so I don't have nearly enough experience to do a pair for someone else.

I'm not doing any mods for a while. Don't ask. :)

You must have already done a few, i bet you are knackered!

These modifications are definitely not quick and easy like you already explained before, yet people seem to think its a $100 job!

You have to be very careful when modifying!
it took me one screw up before I managed to perfect doing a modification.

I'm almost done now on my scratch done pair, they are looking top notch, and quite close to the 2011 RD mags!

Thanks Cavx!!!! And I've PM airair for my pair to mod. I really do appreciate it you guys have turned a dream into a reality.... I also know it’s not easy to mod and it takes time so I’m in no rush just want to get a pair for me and my son.

You must have already done a few, i bet you are knackered!

These modifications are definitely not quick and easy like you already explained before, yet people seem to think its a $100 job!

You have to be very careful when modifying!
it took me one screw up before I managed to perfect doing a modification.

I'm almost done now on my scratch done pair, they are looking top notch, and quite close to the 2011 RD mags!

This is most definitely true...

Has anyone here thought of a way to reinforce the upper (sky top portion) of the shoe to make it more rigid (like the RD Mags) also so they don't flare when wearing wider legged or boot cut jeans?

I guess I could Jerry rig it with some rigid foam glued to the interior...would this help? Or should I just not worry about it :)

Also JVon how much are you looking to spend on the mods for your Mags? PM me as I'm just curious, also the cost of the shoes as you know is ($250) plus the electronics (roughly $100-$170) is also cost to consider. Plus miscellaneous first time expenses that I can't even imagine how much I've spent on, although the nice thing about paying someone to mod them is that you don't have to worry about these costs.

you can't do anything with the V2 uppers, especially the white portion. they are totally innacurate in height,shape and form.

the actual grey part is stitched to the white piece so its all one piece so its impossible to do anything. Unless you have the exact same grey fabric that they've used in China then there is no chance of fixing anything.

The 2011 release the grey part is seperate and thicker, and the white piece is stitched/glued on,
The cartoonish white over puffiness of the collars on the V2 is impossible to fix.
From certain angles, yes, its passable, but in most pictures, they are clearly not very accurate and there is nothing much you can do but good enough for most i reckon.
They will always have the mark poon look to them, since the template they used is virtually identical, all the way down the back of the shoe, which droops forward too much.

Basically, think of the V2 uppers as being a whole Inch too forward. Thats why when they are on your feet, the white buckle actually hits the back of your ankle and droops forward, giving the classic Mark poon look to them. There is simply no way to overcome this, as the template they used is incorrect.

I wish they would fix it, i'm sure they can, but it seems they can't be bothered especially since they are selling so many of them the way they are!

here's a comparison picture of the v2 alongside 2011 release and a screen used pair from 1989. As you can see, even between the movie and 2011 release there are several clear differences. The actual movies shoes uppers are actually similar in strength to the v2s, as the collars are soft and floppy, albeit with thicker and seperate grey fabric glued to the white collars.

magcomparisons_zpsefc9e1ae.jpg

The v2 is sort of a combo of both types, done unintentionally I guess.

Trust me, i've spent way too many hours on these shoes!

Has anyone here thought of a way to reinforce the upper (sky top portion) of the shoe to make it more rigid (like the RD Mags) also so they don't flare when wearing wider legged or boot cut jeans?

I guess I could Jerry rig it with some rigid foam glued to the interior...would this help? Or should I just not worry about it :)

Also JVon how much are you looking to spend on the mods for your Mags? PM me as I'm just curious, also the cost of the shoes as you know is ($250) plus the electronics (roughly $100-$170) is also cost to consider. Plus miscellaneous first time expenses that I can't even imagine how much I've spent on, although the nice thing about paying someone to mod them is that you don't have to worry about these costs.

- - - Updated - - -

When your selling straps email me Finnegan1717@rocketmail.com please

If you are just wanting a strap, then you would still need an inverter and a coin cell battery and a switch.
so you would be having 2 switches on your shoes.

Last edited:
The flare is not too bad on the V2s because the strap doesn't slip like it does on the MP and V1 MAGs thanks to the hook and loop used to hold the strap in place.

magcomparisons_zpsefc9e1ae.jpg

The v2 is sort of a combo of both types, done unintentionally I guess.

Has the 1989 shoe not slumped due to it age? Foam would have broken down? When the shoe was new, I am betting it stood a little more upright than it does now. The key difference is the toe where it seems the 1989 shoe did not have foam as support.

They probably have something inside the shoe to stand it up, plus the tongue us standing too. If u look at this pic, you can see a slight arched crease in both toes, about 1.5 inch forward from the tongue, its where the foam ends and its just the grey fabric from there to the front of the toe
http://cdn.solecollector.com/media/u/images/SC Air Mag 3.jpg
The 1989 shoes are completely foam based. The uppers are also different to the 2011 release.

The v2s entire template is wrong.
You can't fix the v2. It will always have the distinctive mark poon look to it.

The only useful thing would be strip the grey fabric from it. But even then since the upper is not tall enough there is virtually no point.

I'm making 2 templates. One is 2011 accurate and the other is 1989 accurate.

Last edited:
They probably have something inside the shoe to stand it up, plus the tongue us standing too. If u look at this pic, you can see a slight arched crease in both toes, about 1.5 inch forward from the tongue, its where the foam ends and its just the grey fabric from there to the front of the toe
http://cdn.solecollector.com/media/u/images/SC Air Mag 3.jpg

Yeah that's the sock toe that the movie version had.

There's a few other pics where you can clearly see how thin the toe area fabric is.

They actually did the sock toe style on some pre production release of the 2011 shoe. I think dino on this forum has that pair.

The flare is not too bad on the V2s because the strap doesn't slip like it does on the MP and V1 MAGs thanks to the hook and loop used to hold the strap in place.

Has the 1989 shoe not slumped due to it age? Foam would have broken down? When the shoe was new, I am betting it stood a little more upright than it does now. The key difference is the toe where it seems the 1989 shoe did not have foam as support.

It's not just the toe that's different. The uppers are different and the heel cup is flatter. The back height of the midsoles is different and the way the clear sole blends to the back of the midsole is different. Look at how flat the line is where the white cuffs join the grey fabric. It's completely different to the 2011 one which is angled downwards.

I know these uppers inside out now and the v2 ones are a joke in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back