Nike confirms BTTF MAGS Power Laces coming this Year (2015)

Gamera68

Well it's official from Nike. Now word when and how much though. :rolleyes

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tinker really has the driest sense of humor since every joke he's ever made is taken as confirmation that Mags are just around the corner.

Saying he had "11 and 2/3 months left" is a joke about meeting the movie's deadline, not about a production deadline. I'm sure they are playing around with the technology, but if they were going to do a wide release of this shoe, (or even a limited release) ALL of the tooling and most of the testing would have to be done by now in order to meet deadlines to have them out this year. Just read up on the extremely lengthy R&D and QA period the original RD Mags had before we ever heard about them...and they were still very sensitive. Can you imagine how fragile these things would be with a motor?! They would need TONS more time this time around.

I will bet my underwear that there is nothing new coming in the near future from Nike in terms of Mags and Tinker loves to joke around to set fanboys off.

As much as I hope I'm wrong, I really doubt I am. It just doesn't make any sense that THIS is how they'd announce the shoes...and that they wouldn't be further along in the manufacturing process by now. Let's all just keep modding!

-Nick

Tinker really has the driest sense of humor since every joke he's ever made is taken as confirmation that Mags are just around the corner.

Saying he had "11 and 2/3 months left" is a joke about meeting the movie's deadline, not about a production deadline. I'm sure they are playing around with the technology, but if they were going to do a wide release of this shoe, (or even a limited release) ALL of the tooling and most of the testing would have to be done by now in order to meet deadlines to have them out this year. Just read up on the extremely lengthy R&D and QA period the original RD Mags had before we ever heard about them...and they were still very sensitive. Can you imagine how fragile these things would be with a motor?! They would need TONS more time this time around.

I will bet my underwear that there is nothing new coming in the near future from Nike in terms of Mags and Tinker loves to joke around to set fanboys off.

As much as I hope I'm wrong, I really doubt I am. It just doesn't make any sense that THIS is how they'd announce the shoes...and that they wouldn't be further along in the manufacturing process by now. Let's all just keep modding!

-Nick

Well then why were the 2011 buyers told to check back in 2015 and were given verification codes? I think that is a confirmation in itself. If not that was a sick joke.

I have a crazy theory. Maybe to partially validate the cost of the 2011 shoes these people were given the code to use and send to Nike along with their 2011 shoes and they will be swapped out for power lace versions for free. Highly unlikely but interesting to think about.

Last edited:
Well then why were the 2011 buyers told to check back in 2015 and were given verification codes? I think that is a confirmation in itself. If not that was a sick joke.

I have a crazy theory. Maybe to partially validate the cost of the 2011 shoes these people were given the code to use and send to Nike along with their 2011 shoes and they will be swapped out for power lace versions for free. Highly unlikely but interesting to think about.

The code was to register the shoe to make repairs and such verifiable.

...and when and where were they told to check back? I want an exact quote (From Nike) since everything is always taken so far out of context as to make the truth really hard to see. Most of the time people just don't get the whole joke of "we have until this year" joke being a reference to a movie and instead mistake it for a product deadline.

-Nick

The code was to register the shoe to make repairs and such verifiable.

...and when and where were they told to check back? I want an exact quote (From Nike) since everything is always taken so far out of context as to make the truth really hard to see. Most of the time people just don't get the whole joke of "we have until this year" joke being a reference to a movie and instead mistake it for a product deadline.

-Nick

I can't find it right now, but I rememer reading that the 2011 MAGs said somewhere in the included papers to check back in 2015.

The biggest hurdle with power laces is making them safe somehow. They can't fail while wearing the shoe and they have to fit snug in order to be viable. IMHO, that is utterly impossible with today's technology. Something like that is bound to fail and cause a shoe to not be secure. This can cause people to injure themselves and sue Nike. It does not matter how many legal disclaimers Nike puts out, people will injure themselves and will sue. These people won't win but they will try anyways. This will still cost Nike money in lawyer fees and court time and plus they don't want idiots hurting themselves with Nike products. That said, I don't see real power laces for shoes, from a major corporation, ever being realized in my lifetime. Sure Nike may be working on it in the high hopes that they can succeed but they won't any time soon (think 50 or more years from now at the soonest) and if they don't want court battles, they won't release shoes with power laces.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see power laces released this year with disclaimers galore. However I am a realist/pragmatist and as such, I just don't think that will happen.

Last edited:
I can't find it right now, but I rememer reading that the 2011 MAGs said somewhere in the included papers to check back in 2015.

Here's what was included in the 2011 release. The other side of this had a full-sized poster. There was also the serial number license plate and a CD that contained the videos that were posted online around the same time as the initial announcement. Nothing else.

Screen Shot 2015-01-11 at 1.41.01 AM.jpg

As Winston Churchill said: "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."

That might as well be the motto of the Mags at this point because even the Knockoffs are fraught with the same tendency for some tiny thing to get blown out of proportion until it's called "confirmed!"

-Nick

Screen Shot 2015-01-11 at 1.41.01 AM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We just watched BTTF again and my kid said she'd total take a pair of self lacing shoes. But of course, she's expecting me to buy them for her instead of spending her own money. So not much chance of that. I hope they find a way to make them work. Much more likely than us getting a working hoverboard in 2015.

Well it's official from Nike. Now word when and how much though. :rolleyes

Thoughts?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ovfzWqfvE8

That video is nothing to do with Nike.
I've yet to see an announcement on an official Nike website or blog.

The only thing that has been mentioned on the internet is courtesy of various blogs who quote Tinker Hatfield at some Agenda Emerge meeting.
That does not constitute any official Nike announcement.

An official Nike announcement is like how they did it in 2011.

I saw the clip of Tinker speaking about the Mags at the event a few days ago. He didn't confirm it. He basically said that they are working really hard at it and that there is still 11 2/3 months left in the year. I'm not sure why sneaker blogs jumped the gun and started claiming that the Mags were confirmed.

I saw the clip of Tinker speaking about the Mags at the event a few days ago. He didn't confirm it. He basically said that they are working really hard at it and that there is still 11 2/3 months left in the year. I'm not sure why sneaker blogs jumped the gun and started claiming that the Mags were confirmed.

Its basically because those people are either a bit slow or simply a bit thick!
Its a sad state of modern culture and society when people accept anything they read on the internet or in print!

This isn't something to look forward to, at all. It's something to pop up one day on my facebook feed and frustrate me due to the impossibility of owning a pair. The only people who are going to own them are rappers and douchebags with more money than brains.

This isn't something to look forward to, at all. It's something to pop up one day on my facebook feed and frustrate me due to the impossibility of owning a pair. The only people who are going to own them are rappers and douchebags with more money than brains.

Yeah... Nikes for everyone...

I'd like to see NIKE do a general release (say $499 with no lights and $50~$100 of that going to charity), they would probably raise as much if not more and satisfy the BTTF fan base. Sure still do the 'special' version on auction (full version with electronics and power lace if that is even possible) and go as hard as they can on those for the celebs.

Its not going to happen though.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back