Nightvision Goggles working replica from Jurassic Park

davidJurassic

Hey guys,

Some of you may already know me from YouTube as Jurassic Collectables or JC. I'm really pleased to share these with the RPF - my screen accurate working replicas of the Nightvision Goggles from Jurassic Park. I call them the Goatfinder Mark 1. It's been the culmination of about four years research and I'm happy to finally present my build.
These are a one off hobby build, purely not for profit, so I will not be doing any commissions I'm afraid. But I am providing all my build info and reference images here because I know how much you all value this and no one has really built a working replica with the original parts before.

rpf001.jpgrpf006.jpgrpf002.jpgrpf008.jpgrpf003.jpgrpf004.jpg

Here is my video of the prop replica in action:-

Here is a free document showcasing all of the screen used components identified for the first time:-
http://s350.photobucket.com/user/jcOnPhotobucket/media/NV%20Goggle%20Reference/goatFinderDoc_zpspxhvvdy8.jpg.html?sort=4&o=9
View attachment goatFinderDoc.jpg

Here are all my reference images:-
http://s350.photobucket.com/user/jcOnPhotobucket/NV Goggle Reference/story

The first hurdle was identifying the lenses. As I explain in the video, I discovered the lenses come from a Konica Aiborg "Darth Vader" camera. They need to be dismantled from the body of the camera, revealing the screen accurate brass ring underneath.

Then I was on to the harness, which for me turned out to be from a Huntsman 930p welding mask. I have seen similar harnesses on other Huntsman masks, but pay close attention to the translucent white headstrap (very rare) and the beading along the edge of that strap across the top and round the sides. It's a very specific harness I only saw on sale once and bought straight away. I was lucky as mine seemed to have never seen the light of day (welding helmets get pretty beaten up) so it looks more like the pristine one that Timmy uses in Jurassic Park.

The rest of the components, switches etc can be found listed on the document provided.

I have say a big thank you to the RPF community in general, you guys have always inspired mini builds that led to this one. Thanks also to DaveG who gave great advice regarding sanding and finishing Shapeways prints with regards to filler primer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Those are fantastic. Congratulations on such a successful build. I was in the market for a set of these a few years ago when I was working on an Explorer build. I never thought I'd see anything like this!

Amazing detective work! Any chance of sharing the shapeways parts for others to print?

Last edited:
I can see you spared no expense!

EDIT: I was able to download the document by saving the image directly, otherwise it would show "Please Update Your Account to Enable 3rd Party Hosting".
goatFinderDoc_zpspxhvvdy8.jpg

Tfd1uml.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Below is a copy of the poster document with all the parts. The link above goes to a photobucket page and I think it doesn't like ad blockers.

View attachment goatFinderDoc.jpg

Also some images of the finished piece

rpf001.jpgrpf002.jpgrpf003.jpgrpf004.jpgrpf006.jpgrpf008.jpg

I will release the 3D files at a later date - as I used so much of the Chronicle images as reference it only seems fair to let them release their offering first (they are making a licensed replica, but lenses are hand wound as far I can gather). I am interested to see theirs as the model comes directly from the scan. I didn't make these to replicate many times, it was just a one off hobby build. When I do release the files I'd like to include the lenses and headstrap so that the goggles are fully printable.

Thanks again guys.

Incredible work. Too bad you won't do a run of these :-(... I'll stick with my Rylo goggles then, but the zoom function on these is just incredibly cool...

I wonder how hard it would be to modify a pair of Rylo goggles with the correct lenses...
Thanks all. I did consider this initially as Rylos replicas are so good. The problem was the depth of the lens body, it means the housing at the front needed to be much thicker. But I'd never say its impossible.
c41fc20a8c7d52cc66bd5d97a06d74c8.jpg
0f1ccc5614ad50132265d922418773d7.jpg

702ac3c57000f99fc94e37246003589f.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder how hard it would be to modify a pair of Rylo goggles with the correct lenses...
I now own a set that was finished by Rylo himself. No way I'm gonna mess with these... But there is a kit available at the junkyard. Maybe someone can give it a try to fit the mechanics of this thread inside?

Anyway, if there would ever be a run of these, I'd be VERY interested...

Bit of a request for you RPFers. During my research I couldn't find one image that I know I've seen here - it's the goggles dismantled set against red cloth. It inspired many to speculate the goggles were a camera lens part on this forum.

But I can't for the life of me find this image anymore. Does anyone have this on their hard drive? I know there are a few archivers among you! Now that I've finished the goggles I'd love to see the dismantled original.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back