Next Gen. Comm badge chirping?

I'd use a dsPIC33FJ128GP802 in a QFN package with a small op-amp, a couple of resistors and capacitors, and some button cells. The dsPIC is just 6mm square, and the op-amp can be smaller. The speaker, yes, use one like in a mobile phone, or use a piezo transducer - that won't be as loud, but will be considerably thinner. A simple tactile switch can be the activation mechanism, with a small slide switch on the back for master power (to save the batteries).

Having read the thread I don't believe it has been mentioned, but how about having the soundboard/powersupply separate from the Communicator? That way you can take all available space in the communicator up with the speaker and a switch and only have to worry about routing the wires through the costume/display stand to the powersupply?

Having read the thread I don't believe it has been mentioned, but how about having the soundboard/powersupply separate from the Communicator? That way you can take all available space in the communicator up with the speaker and a switch and only have to worry about routing the wires through the costume/display stand to the powersupply?
Makes it hard to remove it and leave it in your quarters when you want to sneak off in a shuttle craft without telling the captain ...

If somebody actually has one of these comm badges that has an internal cavity (or could have one carved out) that someone could measure the available space and draw it out for me I could look at seeing what could be possibly fit inside in the way of components.

If you really want to do this, it'll has to be made from scratch. I really don't think the QMX will be that modifyable to cram in such small devices.

We would have to start from the 1 Gen. original casting and make a 3D scan to get a size into the computer as a CAD file. Next would be perfectioning and beautifying the commbadge to make it more like a replicated device, since the TNG oval rim is not perfectly symmetrical on both side as well as the delta shield looking from the side (minor details that still counts) - but most important by scanning the prop is to determine the thickness of the badge, it has to be lightweight, yet durable and providing space for the electronics. Either making a stamp mold or a milled out prototype to get an idea as well as toying around with some metal types.

Next would be the electronic problem, which I think there's only one solution, SMD Sound Chip and using those copper colored conductive flex ribbon cables for flashing the sound file from the computer and connectors you can find in the cell phone devices, cell phone speakers and batteries used in hearing aids Hearing aid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . There's no way I can think of making it happen.

The icing on the cake would be electroplating real gold and silver onto the badge, the black parts could be bluing.

Last edited:
I'd still be happy with a modern device design that fits behind the uniform. I hope we can get someone on board to do these.

My first thought was why not just rig up up the badge like a button with a bluetooth signal...have it trigger the sounds off your phone, a device most people carry that's already capable of projecting sound.

But then I remembered the regulation-snugness of the TNG uniform (and lack of pockets) would make carrying a cellphone impossible?

Creating electronic small enough to fit inside shouldn't be a problem - the main problem as I see it is the batteries. Batteries that are too small will not be able to provide enough current, or won't last more than 5 minutes. I have been looking at small li-ion (and similar) batteries, and a single battery at 3.7v would still take up most of the interior of the comm badge.

If three 1cmx4mm watch batteries can power a sonic screwdriver toy with lights and sounds for years without replacing them, then one of them should be able to power a button that chirps once per click for at least a day on a con floor.

As for all this stuff about putting the module in odd places:

If the sound comes out of your phone it will be very obvious that it's not the communicator that's making it. It's like when you see a person with the voice changer helmets and the speaker on their belt. It's way obvious, and in that case you can also hear their normal voice plain as day. Your ears can tell direction pretty well.

In the pin itself is asking for trouble. Firstly, the badges are about 7 mm thick at their widest point. You might be able to make room for everything and have it stick off your shirt about an extra 3 or 4 mm, but you might have to sacrifice loudness or battery life by going with a smaller option. Inside the uniform gives you the freedom to use the best possible speaker and maybe a CR2032 battery. The season 3-7 uniform isn't tight in the chest, so even a sound unit from the 90s would fit just fine. It may be problematic for people dressing in the season 1-2 uniform, but I can't say I've seen more than a couple people bother with those ones.

The season 3-7 women's uniforms were still pretty tight, though. But I suppose behind the badge is the best option for all the reasons you stated, plus the fact that it can be used for the TNG comm badge AND the post Generations comm badge. All you'd have to do is swap the badge.

Yea, that's the other thing, too, is that most people already have a comm badge. I'm already deciding between using the Rodd or the QMx for my costume, I wouldn't want to complicate that further AND drive up costs by having to buy a whole new badge. Versatility is a good thing.

And Jimmy, you'd better believe I've been thinking about this. I mean, if I'm going to be carrying around a fully decked out GMprops tricorder, it would be silly to have a static comm badge.

If you build something and you're willing to be more involved there's nothing saying that you can't just wire up the speaker & the trigger behind the badge and then run wires under your uniform to a circuit board & batteries in a different spot, like under the phaser holster where it won't be noticeable. Save a lot of space issues.

Creating electronic small enough to fit inside shouldn't be a problem - the main problem as I see it is the batteries. Batteries that are too small will not be able to provide enough current, or won't last more than 5 minutes. I have been looking at small li-ion (and similar) batteries, and a single battery at 3.7v would still take up most of the interior of the comm badge.

Therefore I proposed the Hearing aid batts with the sizes A5 or A 10 - they are small enough to fit into the commbadge and there are rechargable one with adapter.

index-hearing-aid.jpg

HeaingAidBatteries.jpg

If three 1cmx4mm watch batteries can power a sonic screwdriver toy with lights and sounds for years without replacing them, then one of them should be able to power a button that chirps once per click for at least a day on a con floor.

As for all this stuff about putting the module in odd places:

If the sound comes out of your phone it will be very obvious that it's not the communicator that's making it. It's like when you see a person with the voice changer helmets and the speaker on their belt. It's way obvious, and in that case you can also hear their normal voice plain as day. Your ears can tell direction pretty well.

In the pin itself is asking for trouble. Firstly, the badges are about 7 mm thick at their widest point. You might be able to make room for everything and have it stick off your shirt about an extra 3 or 4 mm, but you might have to sacrifice loudness or battery life by going with a smaller option. Inside the uniform gives you the freedom to use the best possible speaker and maybe a CR2032 battery. The season 3-7 uniform isn't tight in the chest, so even a sound unit from the 90s would fit just fine. It may be problematic for people dressing in the season 1-2 uniform, but I can't say I've seen more than a couple people bother with those ones.

A CR2032 is still to large for the combadge... :(

Yea, that's the other thing, too, is that most people already have a comm badge. I'm already deciding between using the Rodd or the QMx for my costume, I wouldn't want to complicate that further AND drive up costs by having to buy a whole new badge. Versatility is a good thing.

And Jimmy, you'd better believe I've been thinking about this. I mean, if I'm going to be carrying around a fully decked out GMprops tricorder, it would be silly to have a static comm badge.

Yes, but wouldn't it be cool to make a proof of concept, that you can make a complet soundboard chip with batt supply that small?

If you build something and you're willing to be more involved there's nothing saying that you can't just wire up the speaker & the trigger behind the badge and then run wires under your uniform to a circuit board & batteries in a different spot, like under the phaser holster where it won't be noticeable. Save a lot of space issues.

See above for the question. Come on we're the RPF… what's that without a little challenge? :love

Last edited:
It's not like this device has to playback a lengthy or complex sound file.
I'm really excited to see what we come up with.

Here's a little something I just threw together. It's untested, of course, but based around a common design I use. It is double sided, and could be constructed on 0.4mm PCB (costs considerably more for that though). It measures just 12.9mm x 12.2mm. It has a dsPIC33FJ128GP802 as the core (QFN on the top), and a MSOP8 sized op-amp on the rear to drive a tiny speaker. Connections around the edge are for power, speaker, single button, and ICSP header for programming the chip. All connectors are 1mm spaced, so would require quite fine wires.

MicrodotT.png

VERY cool. If I was up to SMD soldering yet I'd hook one up and see what it did. Hrm. Since the spacing means a custom header, and the ICSP is only used for programming, perhaps it should be pin-cushion instead.

(And now you've got me wondering if I could do an AVR in the same footprint, with poor-man's DAC to upgrade the bit depth.)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back