New Voyagers Omni

What might be kind of cool, if possible, for the idealized V - have the solid outline, but a hammered looking texture inside. Just a thought.

images (2).jpg

1st version of the Omni I presume. With clear plastic indicator?? As the lid is all the way closed.

I have been working on the lid/large indicator problem, and I think I found a solution. The lid needs to be more dome shaped to fit it. So I am going to have to make 2 lids. One dome shaped lid that will fit the big indicator and a flatter lid that can fit the flat plastic indicator. I will make one of each with both custom idealized engraving and screen accurate engraving. So that is 4 lids people will have to choose from.
Hopefully that solution will satisfy every one.

For some reason the image upload button is not working, I made some wireframe screen caps to illustrate the differences

Last edited:
So Rob it seems like the Omni with the large metal indicator they only used for those close-up shots if the lid didn't close all the way huh?

So Rob it seems like the Omni with the large metal indicator they only used for those close-up shots if the lid didn't close all the way huh?
I think they may have had a lid that fit, but it was not shown that much. I have 2 screen shots of lids that are clearly different and could possibly fit the larger indicator.
In this one you can see the lid has an obvious bulge where the indicator sits below it and the lid definitely is an odd shape, like they made it to fit the indicator by making it taller like in my first illustration.
VoyagersTitanic-40.jpg Compared to this super thin lidPicture 7.jpg
And this lid is just huge, and clearly designed to fit the indicator.

WorldsApart-57.jpg

Yeah I see this. I always though the omni in the pic to the left on Boggs belt was the 1st version? Do you think the Omni on the picture to the right with the flat thin lid is am omni stunt prop??

Yeah I see this. I always though the omni in the pic to the left on Boggs belt was the 1st version? Do you think the Omni on the picture to the right with the flat thin lid is am omni stunt prop??
Probably, it is the worst looking version I have seen other than drakes

Hi Rob. Great news about the new Omni. I bought one of your first originals back all those years ago, and as much as I liked it, I ended up selling it to someone who was rabid about getting one. Interested to hear that you are making a new one, and excited at the new features/accuracy I see you putting into it. I'm definitely interested in getting one when the time comes. Are you taking names of those who are interested yet, or is that still in the future? Again, great news, and I'm excited to have another chance at an Omni.

Hi Rob. Great news about the new Omni. I bought one of your first originals back all those years ago, and as much as I liked it, I ended up selling it to someone who was rabid about getting one. Interested to hear that you are making a new one, and excited at the new features/accuracy I see you putting into it. I'm definitely interested in getting one when the time comes. Are you taking names of those who are interested yet, or is that still in the future? Again, great news, and I'm excited to have another chance at an Omni.
I remember you!. Yup it was actually 11 years since I made the first run of omni's. I will be doing this run a bit different since there will be "options" I am going to make it so anyone can assemble the parts together with a simple screw driver. There will be no soldering or gluing, just straight assembly. So you will get to choose your favorite version and get those parts, polished and ready to put together. The electronics will be on a custom circuit board that is pre assembled and designed to "pop into place" with a couple screws holding it in. All parts will require no finishing. Even the threaded holes will come pre tapped ready for screws.
This is the beauty of the advances of manufacturing technology.
I decided to do it this way for the customization aspect as well as the financial aspect. I want everyone to be able to get an omni who wants one, so the parts can be ordered all at one time, or part by part as funds become available to you.
I will be laying out my purchase details soon.
I plan on also making a fully assembled version for those who simply cant be bothered and don't mind paying extra for ready to rock and roll version.

Rob and for those that want an Omni with just the lights and no sound like in the series like I do, will that be different in any way as far as the part goes?? I am hoping it wont have a speaker or holes for sound as the real one didn't?

Rob and for those that want an Omni with just the lights and no sound like in the series like I do, will that be different in any way as far as the part goes?? I am hoping it wont have a speaker or holes for sound as the real one didn't?
There will be no speaker holes. The speaker will be loud enough to easily be heard. So if you choose not to have sound, you wont get stuck with unwanted features. The speaker is going to be below the globe facing up.

All good things to hear. I'll keep an eye on this thread and pounce as soon as I see that you are offering it. It really is nice that the tech is working with you this time as the accuracy I remember was a concern for a lot of people back the first time (some people being quite neurotic about it). And you impress me yet again with your interest in both accuracy and affordability. Again, can't wait, and nice to see you making Omnis again. You are the original Voyager in my opinion!

All good things to hear. I'll keep an eye on this thread and pounce as soon as I see that you are offering it. It really is nice that the tech is working with you this time as the accuracy I remember was a concern for a lot of people back the first time (some people being quite neurotic about it). And you impress me yet again with your interest in both accuracy and affordability. Again, can't wait, and nice to see you making Omnis again. You are the original Voyager in my opinion!
Thanks man. This time, hopefully I will be able to please everyone by having multiple versions available. Last time I was shackled by the technology, and the cost involved with it. Now I have technology working for me.

Hi Rob. You said a while back that we would have an option for the material used to make the globes. I was thinking of the metal globes you will be offering would that be heavier than the sandstone globes? Also which globes material and look do you think will mostly match what was used on the original omni props?

Hi Rob. You said a while back that we would have an option for the material used to make the globes. I was thinking of the metal globes you will be offering would that be heavier than the sandstone globes? Also which globes material and look do you think will mostly match what was used on the original omni props?
Right now I only have the process worked out for the sandstone globes since that is the only material available for 3d color printing.
I could make a metal globe that is embossed, but you would need to paint it by hand. The alternative to painting it, is water slide decals which can be printed then put on. I will look into that option down the road. Right now im working on getting the function working, and the electronics compartment built.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back