New to sculpt, any advice.

Murdoch

Sr Member
Hi guys i am new to the sculpting side of things. I am looking to use a clay sculpt to make a helmet that i can later cast. I had bought a few of these.
2014-08-19121448_zps0dccc3f0.jpg

Now i'm guessing there will be alot of trial and error and a whole lot of learning as i go along. Tools: what would be a good start for tools, is there a must have tool that i need. There is a supplier that i am hoping to get to Saturday. Thanx in advance for your help...GM

Hi. that brand and type of clay it is wonderful. you can warm it on a oven at low temperature 40-60 ºC, or in a microwave oven.
Whne it is warm(but not burning you can make your form with little balls. While is warm you can shape the clay with few tools, Some of them are called rakes, loop tools.

Try to find a sculpting tutorial in youtube.
Good luck!!!!!
Arturo

A guy by the name of Julian khor on YouTube is where I got my basics from in terms of how to start, as far as tools if found that a ball stylus works for many things but I do a lot with just my fingers most of the time. Watch a few of this guys videos here te link he covers a lot from concept to armature building, form roughing, finish work and even molding and casting in some cases http://youtu.be/Il3nmcWioWA There will be trial and error but that means you are learning:) might I ask if you have a specific sculpy in mind?

NSP meduim is a good start for a helmet. It's easier to work than NSP hard if you're new to sculpting. Can't help with where to buy tools in Canada but Ken's Tools is a great brand from the States, he has suppliers across the word or will ship direct through his website. Some kidney scrapers are really nice to get a good smooth finish after shaving things down with rakes, some alcohol on a cotton ball will help get a good polished surface too.

NSP meduim is a good start for a helmet. It's easier to work than NSP hard if you're new to sculpting. Can't help with where to buy tools in Canada but Ken's Tools is a great brand from the States, he has suppliers across the word or will ship direct through his website. Some kidney scrapers are really nice to get a good smooth finish after shaving things down with rakes, some alcohol on a cotton ball will help get a good polished surface too.
Thanx for the tip bro. I have a place in Canada 20 min drive Sculpture Supply Canada, Going tomorrow. Gave some to my daughter, she has trouble using her hands and i thought that this would help her strengthen them. She loves it, she wants a bar for herself. I think this is exactly what she needs...GM

A guy by the name of Julian khor on YouTube is where I got my basics from in terms of how to start, as far as tools if found that a ball stylus works for many things but I do a lot with just my fingers most of the time. Watch a few of this guys videos here te link he covers a lot from concept to armature building, form roughing, finish work and even molding and casting in some cases http://youtu.be/Il3nmcWioWA There will be trial and error but that means you are learning:) might I ask if you have a specific sculpy in mind?

Seconding Julian Khor. Awesome sculptor and cool guy . Check out d-anatomystore.com for some of the tools he used.

Just to throw in my 2 cents...I used to do the microwave oven thing till I came across John Brown sculpting vids...He suggested sumin called a "Hotbox"...its just a small to medium sized box lined with foil inside and hole cut in the top to allow a drop light (the kind with a bell shaped housing) and use a 40 to 60 watt bulb to sit on top...Its simple,cheap and I have more control over the clay softening process. As always its best to cut blocks into smaller pieces with any softening process.
Good luck and happy sculpting.

Hi Murdoch. I see you're in T.O., I'm in Windsor. Dollarama carries 1lb blocks of modelling clay that are very similar to
Kleen Klay. It's soft enough that no heating is required, tools well and holds detail well. For tools, you'll probably end up
making your own to suit your needs. Have fun.

For softening clay I love my toaster oven. You can vary the temperature to whatever works best for your clay and keeps it nice and soft. I second the Kens tools. I use his double take tool for about 80% of my sculpting. I'd also recommend checking out Don Lannings sculpting video on the Stan Winston school website. He goes through a lot of cool sculpting techniques which I think is on chavant medium also.

Hi Murdoch. I see you're in T.O., I'm in Windsor. Dollarama carries 1lb blocks of modelling clay that are very similar to
Kleen Klay. It's soft enough that no heating is required, tools well and holds detail well. For tools, you'll probably end up
making your own to suit your needs. Have fun.
Thanx for the tip man. I have always believed that you get what you paid for. With respect, as far as any kind of materials i would rather pay for the quality and have piece of mind. I do use the dollar stores for a lot though, just so i don't come off as a prude lol. I think i am there at least 2-3 times a week...GM

A guy by the name of Julian khor on YouTube is where I got my basics from in terms of how to start, as far as tools if found that a ball stylus works for many things but I do a lot with just my fingers most of the time. Watch a few of this guys videos here te link he covers a lot from concept to armature building, form roughing, finish work and even molding and casting in some cases http://youtu.be/Il3nmcWioWA There will be trial and error but that means you are learning:) might I ask if you have a specific sculpy in mind?[/QUOTE Just tried to watch a bunch of vids from Julian khor relating to the Hulk bust and the time laspe is way to fast for me to pick up on. Is there a tutorial with explanations for the beginner because when i try to look, all i can find is time lapse vids. Just to fast for me...GM

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back