New prop builder...finished first prop updated 7-13-06

jcoffman99

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Okay, as someone new to the prop building world (and someone of little talent) what would be a good Star Wars prop that's easy to do and would give me a little shot of confidence to try other things? Thanks,

John

I've always wanted to make that replica Gonk out of 2 plastic storage tubs...

rileygonkfront4kg.jpg

Seems farily easy enough and would certainly make a nice display piece even if it's not 100% accurate. :)

Darrin

I started with an E-11 Stormtrooper blaster. The kind folks at the Blaster Builder Club have templates and tutorials online. I saw those and thought "hey, I can do that."

Sadly, I was hooked and have been building ever since.

Welcome aboard.

Weclome aboard. Here is a pic of the very first prop I made :) Forgive the inaccuracies but boy was this a fun one to make. lol

eweb.jpg

A Luke ANH/ESB saber should be easy enough..there're kits with everything you need available all over the place for a little over 100 bucks...

If you want something a little more challenging how about getting a broom handle mauser and hunting down the necessary parts for a Han Blaster.

<div class='quotetop'>(rileyreplicas @ Jul 1 2006, 05:53 AM) [snapback]1272015[/snapback]</div>
Weclome aboard. Here is a pic of the very first prop I made :) Forgive the inaccuracies but boy was this a fun one to make. lol

eweb.jpg

[/b]

Man, the E Web looks awesome, out of curiousity, would you mind parting with some building info on it???

I would love to add a E Web to my arsenal, my neighbors already think Im a threat to homeland security :lol

My first real prop I built was a full size gonk droid that was also an ice chest.

It was really easy and from theri I became addicted...

<div class='quotetop'>(jcoffman99 @ Jul 1 2006, 03:16 AM) [snapback]1271909[/snapback]</div>
Okay, as someone new to the prop building world (and someone of little talent) what would be a good Star Wars prop that's easy to do and would give me a little shot of confidence to try other things? Thanks,

John
[/b]

My first real prop was Han's ANH blaster. I happened to find an MGC Mauser at a flea market for $80 and the conversion kit at blast-tech.

You can get a denix mauser from B-T as well as the conversion kit

Mauser: http://www.blast-tech.com/products_mausersAcc.asp

Conversion kit: http://www.blast-tech.com/products_packagedKits.asp (next to last kit, Mauser Type I)

It's not a scratch-build, but there is some work involved. You'll end up with a cool prop and a sense of accomplishment. Plus, John (owner of B-T) is a really great guy to deal with.

Or if you'd prefer a saber, you can pick up a graflex off ebay and the grips/d-ring from B-T.

-Fred

<div class='quotetop'>(Gigatron @ Jul 2 2006, 07:40 AM) [snapback]1272506[/snapback]</div>
Or if you'd prefer a saber, you can pick up a graflex off ebay and the grips/d-ring from B-T.

-Fred
[/b]

Thats what I did... I think it's the only one I ever built :lol The rest I bought (back in the day, when I was single without kids.) Although, I did finally convince my wife I needed a dremel, so I'm gonna be trying my hand at some new hardware sabers...

speaking of, this link is a little old but it still checks out ;) http://bigyellowbox.tripod.com/ That might give you some good ideas

Well I went with a Luke ANH graflex kit. I feel official now. Can't wait to put it together. It will hold me over until I get the MR saber. :)

First one I built was a Luke ANH saber. Pretty easy to do, same with Luke ESB saber. Parts to make both are easy to find but it may be expensive for you, not sure.

<div class='quotetop'>(rileyreplicas @ Jul 1 2006, 10:53 AM) [snapback]1272015[/snapback]</div>

eweb.jpg

[/b]
Whoa. Now there's something to have on your porch when your daughter starts dating.

LOL, yeah that e-web would be nice to have in the front yard :) I am sorry that I don't have a parts break down, I made it years agao but it is mainly PVC pipe and fittings.

Man,
Our garrison does a fair amount of parades. Mount that puppy in the back of a white truck with some Imperal Cog stickers and have the vehicle manned by some Snows, and you got one SIC float.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back