New prop builder...finished first prop updated 7-13-06

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by jcoffman99, Jun 30, 2006.

1. jcoffman99

jcoffman99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Okay, as someone new to the prop building world (and someone of little talent) what would be a good Star Wars prop that's easy to do and would give me a little shot of confidence to try other things? Thanks,

John

2. jediscout

jediscout Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi John,

Imperial code cylinders. :)

3. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

How about Jedi Food Pellets/Capsules?

4. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(jediscout @ Jun 30 2006, 11:21 PM) [snapback]1271911[/snapback]</div>
    Good suggestion. :)

5. ArkRaider

ArkRaider Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Stretch your mind with the force and create your own lightsaber. :)

6. roboprop

roboprop Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to make that replica Gonk out of 2 plastic storage tubs...

[​IMG]

Seems farily easy enough and would certainly make a nice display piece even if it's not 100% accurate. :)

Darrin

7. BlindSquirrel

BlindSquirrel Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I started with an E-11 Stormtrooper blaster. The kind folks at the Blaster Builder Club have templates and tutorials online. I saw those and thought "hey, I can do that."

Sadly, I was hooked and have been building ever since.

Welcome aboard.

8. rileyreplicas

rileyreplicas Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Weclome aboard. Here is a pic of the very first prop I made :) Forgive the inaccuracies but boy was this a fun one to make. lol

[​IMG]

9. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

New version of homeland security huh.?

10. SaberFreak

SaberFreak Sr Member

A Luke ANH/ESB saber should be easy enough..there're kits with everything you need available all over the place for a little over 100 bucks...

If you want something a little more challenging how about getting a broom handle mauser and hunting down the necessary parts for a Han Blaster.

11. Atin_TX6203

Atin_TX6203 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>(rileyreplicas @ Jul 1 2006, 05:53 AM) [snapback]1272015[/snapback]</div>

Man, the E Web looks awesome, out of curiousity, would you mind parting with some building info on it???

I would love to add a E Web to my arsenal, my neighbors already think Im a threat to homeland security :lol

My first real prop I built was a full size gonk droid that was also an ice chest.

It was really easy and from theri I became addicted...

12. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(jcoffman99 @ Jul 1 2006, 03:16 AM) [snapback]1271909[/snapback]</div>

My first real prop was Han's ANH blaster. I happened to find an MGC Mauser at a flea market for $80 and the conversion kit at blast-tech.

You can get a denix mauser from B-T as well as the conversion kit

Mauser: http://www.blast-tech.com/products_mausersAcc.asp

Conversion kit: http://www.blast-tech.com/products_packagedKits.asp (next to last kit, Mauser Type I)

It's not a scratch-build, but there is some work involved. You'll end up with a cool prop and a sense of accomplishment. Plus, John (owner of B-T) is a really great guy to deal with.

Or if you'd prefer a saber, you can pick up a graflex off ebay and the grips/d-ring from B-T.

-Fred

13. Paul Andrew

Paul Andrew Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Gigatron @ Jul 2 2006, 07:40 AM) [snapback]1272506[/snapback]</div>

Thats what I did... I think it's the only one I ever built :lol The rest I bought (back in the day, when I was single without kids.) Although, I did finally convince my wife I needed a dremel, so I'm gonna be trying my hand at some new hardware sabers...

speaking of, this link is a little old but it still checks out ;) http://bigyellowbox.tripod.com/ That might give you some good ideas

14. JOATRASH FX

JOATRASH FX Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ditto on the Han blaster. It's the perfect way to ease into the hobby.

/Joe F

15. jcoffman99

Well I went with a Luke ANH graflex kit. I feel official now. Can't wait to put it together. It will hold me over until I get the MR saber. :)

16. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

First one I built was a Luke ANH saber. Pretty easy to do, same with Luke ESB saber. Parts to make both are easy to find but it may be expensive for you, not sure.

17. Ivanhotep

Ivanhotep Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(rileyreplicas @ Jul 1 2006, 10:53 AM) [snapback]1272015[/snapback]</div>
    Whoa. Now there's something to have on your porch when your daughter starts dating.

18. rileyreplicas

rileyreplicas Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

LOL, yeah that e-web would be nice to have in the front yard :) I am sorry that I don't have a parts break down, I made it years agao but it is mainly PVC pipe and fittings.

19. Old Timer

Old Timer New Member

Man,
    Our garrison does a fair amount of parades. Mount that puppy in the back of a white truck with some Imperal Cog stickers and have the vehicle manned by some Snows, and you got one SIC float.

20. Robot Monster

Robot Monster Sr Member

How about a watto chance cubes just some air dry clay and paint them up. Very easy.

21. jcoffman99

Well here it is. My first prop. The oldie but goddie Luke ANH saber. This was easy, quick, and fun. Can't wait to start another project. :)

[attachmentid=9059]

[attachmentid=9060]

22. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

Sweet. Looks like all you need is the tape to cover the Graflex logo.

:D

23. darthgordon

darthgordon Sr Member

what the hecks an E web? :confused

24. jcoffman99

<div class='quotetop'>(jcoffman99 @ Jul 13 2006, 03:32 PM) [snapback]1280145[/snapback]</div>
    I knew I forgot something. Tape added. :) Just pretend it's in the pic.

25. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

26. sctcarts77

sctcarts77 New Member

Looks great. I've never built the Luke ANH or ESB. My first build was a resin Solo blaster. I need to get up to speed and put together the ole' "laser sword". Great job.

-Cory

27. Duck9000

Duck9000 Well-Known Member

Well done. :D

28. SaberFreak

SaberFreak Sr Member

Well done. Now go scratch build a Vader helmet. :lol

29. jcoffman99

ummm..yeah..I'll get right on that. :) Maybe another saber or two first. Or I could do one of those 4 week scratch built falcons like the guy over in the scale modeling forum.

30. dkwd

dkwd Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(darthgordon @ Jul 13 2006, 05:25 PM) [snapback]1280241[/snapback]</div>
    Isn't it the large blaster the Snowtroopers set up in the Hoth hanger in Empire Strikes back?

David

31. Smiling Demon

Smiling Demon Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Atin @ Jul 2 2006, 10:25 AM) [snapback]1272495[/snapback]</div>

Man, the E Web looks awesome, out of curiousity, would you mind parting with some building info on it???

I would love to add a E Web to my arsenal, my neighbors already think Im a threat to homeland security :lol

My first real prop I built was a full size gonk droid that was also an ice chest.

It was really easy and from theri I became addicted...
    [/b][/quote]

Good luck if you start this one.

I started it a couple of years ago after seeing the rileyreplicas gun. I got about 1\3 of the way through it and now it sits in the corner of my workshop. I didn't realize the thing would be so freaking big.
    I plan to finish it and still have a bunch of stuff for it. I just need to figure out where the hell I'm going to put it.

32. Weazel1

Weazel1 Well-Known Member

Great job on the saber, it looks fantastic.
    Oh, and the E-Web is OK :D

Brian

33. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

You know, someone mentioned the chance cube, and yes, it is a super easy project to bake a lump of white sculpy and paint it. BUT, can anyone tell me which sides are blue and which sides are red? It sounds like a stupid, obvious thing, but its the kind of thing that keeps me up at night.

34. TK171

TK171 Well-Known Member

Left side red/right side blue.

um, unless its upside down :p

35. Vaderman

Vaderman Sr Member

"You have taken your first step into a larger world."
    Prop Building.

May The Bank Account Be With You.

:)