New project: Star Wars space battle scenes with model kits and motion control rig

Poakwoods

Hello...
I’m working on a new project, a dream I’ve had for many years: filming the space battle scenes of Star Wars “A New Hope” with model kits (Bandai, Fine Molds etc.), a blue/green screen and a motion control camera.

I have already build a self-made motorized model rig, similar to the ones used by ILM:

Right now I'm building and modifying some kits. As a first test, I’m currently working on the beginning of ANH, with the scenes of the Imperial Star Destroyer chasing and capturing Princess Leia's ship. The ISD model is that of Zvezda, quite large, while for the Tantive IV I only have the Bandai one, which is quite small, but I did some tests and by stopping down well, and with the help of motion blur, the depth of field should be sufficient...

Since I would like to use physical models as much as possible, I'm going down the rabbit hole o_O... I've made silicone molds of Bandai's Death Star tiles and I've started to make maaany lightweight plaster tiles, in order to build part of the DS surface and the infamous trench, which should have a length of about 2.5 meters and which will be filmed by a 4K micro-camera moved by the motorized slider.

And that's all for now... I'm planning to make the first shots as soon as possible, when all the models (ISD, Tantive and Escape Pod) will be ready.

Last edited:
DS trench will be awesome! Both the final shot AND the model. Please post as much progress as you can. This is a great project.

This is literally my dream project. You mentioned a micro 4K camera. Which camera is it exactly? Does it shoot 10-bit video for the bluescreen shots? Which lens are you shooting on? Can you stop it down all the way manually? I'm also a video guy (with compositing experience), so if you have any questions, please fire away! Definitely following this one.

SB

This is literally my dream project. You mentioned a micro 4K camera. Which camera is it exactly? Does it shoot 10-bit video for the bluescreen shots? Which lens are you shooting on? Can you stop it down all the way manually? I'm also a video guy (with compositing experience), so if you have any questions, please fire away! Definitely following this one.

SB
It's an action cam, the RunCam 4K, which has good quality image. It will be used only for the shooting in the trench, because the Canon reflex that I use for the main shoots do not enter in such tiny space. The RunCam do not have the possibility to stop down, but has very wide adjustable angle lenses, and from the trial shoots I have made, with good illumination the focus can be achieved from 5-6 cm to infinity (and the motion blur in the foreground helps). We will see.

It's an action cam, the RunCam 4K, which has good quality image. It will be used only for the shooting in the trench, because the Canon reflex that I use for the main shoots do not enter in such tiny space. The RunCam do not have the possibility to stop down, but has very wide adjustable angle lenses, and from the trial shoots I have made, with good illumination the focus can be achieved from 5-6 cm to infinity (and the motion blur in the foreground helps). We will see.
Coolio. I should also mention, that for motion control shots, you should be shooting photos anyway, and then making those photos into an image sequence that can be played back in an NLE or compositing software.

SB

Coolio. I should also mention, that for motion control shots, you should be shooting photos anyway, and then making those photos into an image sequence that can be played back in an NLE or compositing software.

SB
Yes I know. It's the method I will use on the Canon reflex and the motorized slider.

I have seen old video cameras without tuners at yard sales that might be used in a sacrificial role with pyros. If the video quality is poor-put the footage into a Batman 66 toy TV inside a model cockpit...film with Super-8 and it will look like historic gun-camera tic-tac footage. There are times you want crappy footage-and modern cameras may be too good for models. The worst thing that can happen is if it comes off too slick-adding grain in post might not be enough. Then too-I like the hiss of vinyl.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back