New pep TK: Master finished (page 4) mould finished.urethane cast (page5) armor WIP

Re: New pepakura stormtrooper helmet

bondo30.jpg

I hope this friday i could finish my bondo-sanding phase, and i could start with the ears... i know... my progress is so slow... but i have no free time.
anyway...i throw several questions.. if anyone can help me he will be wellcomed
1)Anyone has the fingerprints.. of the hovi mics?
2)To make the "ears" i have think on stick a circle from cardbox to the helmet, and then put milliput over it.. do you think that is a good idea? will it work?
3) any trick to do the rounded shape of the vocoder?

hope someone can help

I hope this friday i could finish my bondo-sanding phase, and i could start with the ears... i know... my progress is so slow... but i have no free time.
anyway...i throw several questions.. if anyone can help me he will be wellcomed
2)To make the "ears" i have think on stick a circle from cardbox to the helmet, and then put milliput over it.. do you think that is a good idea? will it work?
hope someone can help

It would be better if you could find some kind of small container that matches the ear circumference that you are going for, then just use the container to cut out the 2 ear pieces, this way you end up with 2 perfect matching ear pieces.

helmet is looking good BTW

Thx gtimotion... but if i have understand you... you would use the container to mark the circunference on the cardbox? So..the circunference will be made of cardbox? Then milliput over it?

One of these days i really need to try and make myself one of these............., excellant work so far, looking forward to seeing it finished.

Thx gtimotion... but if i have understand you... you would use the container to mark the circunference on the cardbox? So..the circunference will be made of cardbox? Then milliput over it?

No don't use cardboard, use only the container an use it as puncher/cookie cutter to punch/cut through the milliput. sort of what kids do when playing with play doh templets to cut the different shapes and figures.

Mmmmm.... well..now i have understood you!.. i will investigate thrle right way to do it... i will keep in mind your idea

more bondo... more sanding... and first layer of primer to unify the colors and see more clearly the shape and the defects on the helmet... all opinions are wellcomed

Nice progress. For what I can see from your pictures the primer is hiding lots of imperfection, you should also give it some light random passes with a darker color so the imperfections stand out more

Quick question!

Can i apply bondo directly over primer layer or i have to sand the primer before?

Thx

Yes you can. but it's not ideal for bondo adherence and it might lead to bondo cracking or peeling over time.
I'd say give it a light sand with 80 grid sand paper before applying bondo this way bondo has some rough surface to stick to

hi guys. sorry, don't mean to highjack this thread but i had a question. i too have printed spacecowboy's stormtrooper helmet file (thanks!) without scaling and while making the dome, i have just noticed it's perhaps slightly too large. i'm 5'11" and there is a clear inch of space all round the dome and my head. is this ok? i don't want to continue unless i am sure of the size and i have scoured all the build threads looking for some hint but there is none. i will be eternally grateful if someone could confirm that it is alright for my height/head or i should scale it down some. any help would be awesome!

Great build by the way hornetbcn :)

thanks

hi guys. sorry, don't mean to highjack this thread but i had a question. i too have printed spacecowboy's stormtrooper helmet file (thanks!) without scaling and while making the dome, i have just noticed it's perhaps slightly too large. i'm 5'11" and there is a clear inch of space all round the dome and my head. is this ok? i don't want to continue unless i am sure of the size and i have scoured all the build threads looking for some hint but there is none. i will be eternally grateful if someone could confirm that it is alright for my height/head or i should scale it down some. any help would be awesome!

Great build by the way hornetbcn :)

thanks

Hey strode, the pep should fit you just right, the extra space is there to accommodate some sort of foam or other kind of spacer to aid your head from resting on the hard helmet alone.

Hey strode, the pep should fit you just right, the extra space is there to accommodate some sort of foam or other kind of spacer to aid your head from resting on the hard helmet alone.

yeah i figured it was some space for padding and such but was not sure. thanks man

Im 172cm tall and i belive that it fits me so good

sweet! thanks for the help guys. :)

Improvements done:
1) Cut the trapezoids
2) improve the eyes (lower area with more volume)
3) Improve the left side of the mouth
4) More bondo and sanding on dome area

trapezoids 39.jpgtrapezoids 40.jpgtrapezoids41.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Things to do:
1) Still working on left side of the mouth
2) fine layer of bondo over all the helmet..and sanding of course
3) Find the best way to do the filling of trapezoids
4) Do the vocoder area (no idea of how to do the cylinders of vocoder)
5) start with the ears

I think that one way to do the vocoder would be to get some thin bits of MDF, about 1/4 inch or 6mm, and cut them to the general shape as seen from the side, then round each one with sandpaper. Three large ones, two slightly smaller and the two outer ones even smaller. When they are glued together, they can be set into the front section or used as a form to make a thin vacform over.

On YouTube there is a post by Andrew Ainsworth explaining how he made the first helmets, and I think (might be wrong) that he used something like this originally.

Hope this helps.

Loving this thread, by the way. It makes me remember that trooper helmets were what led me to this amazing forum in the first place! :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back