New P1 On The Way - FINISHED.

Fantastic sculpt of the P1 and I love to watch the process how some clay turns into THE badass galactic trophy-hunter.
Little suggestion: When made007 did his P1 mask, he als sculpted some elder-tusks. It's always great to have options for alternative builds.

cbf29b621bc57b46703655ff9959359c_zps7ab2c945.jpg

So after a year I'm back with a new project my first attempt at a pred mask, P1 screen accurate, as close as I can get, probably take me a year, my time's very limited.

I thought I would include my armature as I made it from scratch and it turned into a project itself, took me 3 weeks to build including curing times. I've seen people here sculpt straight on top of styrofoam heads but I think a serious sculpt requires a serious core. Plus the styro foam head wasn't true life size and a female, So I built it out and gave it a sex change.

View attachment 26787

View attachment 26788

View attachment 26789

View attachment 26790

View attachment 26791

View attachment 26792

So I finished the sculpt, pleased with it, I went for more dynamic texturing which I guess has given him an elder-ish look, I wanted a more comic book feel to him rather than just 'screen accurate'. I am going to be faithfull with the paint job though (providing I don't lose it to a botch mould) . I've temporarily re-attatched the lower manidibles for the pics. I'm dreading the mould process, wish me luck.
DSCF5133.JPG
DSCF5134.JPG
DSCF5145.JPG
DSCF5147.JPG
DSCF5148.JPG
DSCF5151.JPG
DSCF5153.JPG
DSCF5154.JPG
DSCF5156.JPG
DSCF5157.JPG
DSCF5159.JPG

DSCF5160.JPG

Last edited:
Well guys looks like I've fallen at the last hurdle, my ******* mould is stuck shut! Been trying all day to crack it open. Not sure what's gone wrong, I put petroluem jelly on the flange, worked perfect for my mandible moulds. I'm thinking I maybe didn't put enough on. I'm desperatley pissed off. Don't really know what to say. I'll open it one way or another put chances are good I'll destroy the seam line I don't think it will crack because it's huge and about 2 inches thick all over, I used all 25kg of plaster. I'll report back when I get it apart but it's not looking good :mad:

DSC_0149[1].JPG

that sucks ... guess I'm not the only one who is having problems with molds ... hope you get it apart without breaking the seam line ... Awesome sculpt!

Well I got it apart with sheer brute force - a credit to Crystacal R, a weaker plaster would have broke apart, my arms are ******. I've got some repairs to do, Backwards sculpting etc. Not sure why it was so difficult to get apart, the flange was still greasy, I'm thinking it was just suction. on a good note all the detail came out lovely and I've no major bubbles, there's a few hair line surface fractures, not sure why, any other damage is down to the violent de-moulding. Gonna have to spend a few hours on it with milliput. Otherwise I'm one very relieved hunter.

Ok So I got the mould cleaned out. Unfortunatley the seam is ruined. I'm not sure how this has happened I'm thinking the mould wall failed during the first beauty coats. What you can see in the picture is torch light bleeding through the seam with the mould firmly closed. I'm really dissapointed. It's only affected around the top of the crown so I think I'll get a mask/bust from it but I'm going to have to do a lot of repair work. judging by the gap I'll have humungus flash and 'step' on the outer edge of the crown that I'll have to fill.

It comes down to the fact that I'm just not experienced enough with plaster moulds. In hindsight I should have done my P2 half mask first. One thing I won't do again is use fence walling in the back of the head I'll lay the sculpt down and build up a mould wall. I think this how it failed, also another mistake I made was using terracotta for the wall instead of WED clay, Paid a heavy price for scimping.

Anyway I got latex on the way so I'll reort back with a test pull.
DSC_0152[1].JPG

Sooo, I finally managed to get a decent pull on the 3rd attempt, it needs some work. The seam at the back along the crown is pretty bad but I can patch it with gel latex and cabopatch. A few bubbles here and there, I forgot to soak the mold before pouring latex which would have reduced bubbles but otherwise I'm happy with the detail and shape. I don't think I'll ever get a 100% perfect cast.

DSC_0188[1].JPG

DSC_0189[1].JPG

DSC_0190[1].JPG

DSC_0191[1].JPG

DSC_0192[1].JPG

I don't think it's possible to truly re-capture the original sculpt with the crappy nature of liquid latex. It's shrinkage prevents it. I wish I'd done a resin bust instead as I never intended to wear it as a mask anyway so it was pointless doing it in latex. I should have done a silicone mould and a resin cast - would have been perfect.

The seams don't look as bad as a I thought. However I would mix some latex thickener(just a bit) with latex in a little tub about 100 ml until you get the consistancey of yoghurt and paint over the seam with a fine brush. Then let it dry and reapply until you have a smoother surface

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back