New NBC streaming Battlestar Galactica reboot

I just was never able to get into that new show. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance. Seems I remember watching about the first 6 or 7 episodes and--other than the space battles--just didn't really care for it.

You didn't give it enough

Well, as a big fan of BSG, both old and new, I will most certainly try to watch it. However, living in the Netherlands probably means that I will have to wait for it to be released on DVD.

Then again, we already have the Disney streaming service here, so who knows?

Certainly hoping for something in the Blood and Chrome time period. I feel like there are so many stories left untold there.

Agree the Blood and Chrome was wide open

Does Clancy Brown need to be in everything nowadays?
Not everything, but for this series i think Clancy would be interesting as a flashback to a flashback...you know, the scene in “act of contrition“ where Adama is talking with Starbuck at the military base on Caprica, and a group jogs by in formation...what we don’t see, and should have seen, is Zim teaching hand to hand combat at the same base 2 hours later...

Sorry, but if you can't keep my attention after 7 or 8 episodes, you are not worthy of my time. I don't owe this show my time.
That’s ok however it’s like DS9 I hated it when it first came out. Then I started watching many years later and loved it. The 1st season was rough around the edges. It got a hell of a lot better. That’s all I’m saying.

I don't understand the people who love it so much, same I can't get liking Discovery, Bayformers, Twilight, Fifty Shades, or Man of Steel. Only a couple of the characters were even likable, almost everyone was deeply flawed, and the angst and interpersonal conflict just went from irritating to soul-crushing over the course of the first couple years. I never even bothered finishing the series because I just couldn't stand it. Also gave Caprica, Razor, and Blood and Chrome a chance and all of them had way too high a melodrama quotient.

It is, in my opinion, Ron Moore's biggest weakness as a writer -- he relies on interpersonal conflict for his drama. I admit I like to see the heroes working together to solve the external threat. Not always perfectly harmoniously, but not constantly sniping at or distrustful of each other. I'm more PvE than PvP.
I did watch the NuBSG all the way through and do not feel greater for it- The shaky-cam ruined the great SFX space battles and when they are in a desperate situation of survival all they did was sit in darkened rooms muttering about their feelings.

I do hope NBC takes the BSG concepts and does something great with them. The original series was cliche at times but had a certain charm about it- I would love to see a new series using modern technology.

I didn't mind Moore's reliance on interpersonal drama, but I think it overtook the show and the actual story we were supposed to be watching, to the point where that story became an afterthought, and Moore was more just playing The Sims: Stuck On a Spaceship Edition. The first season was terrific. After that, it lost a lot of steam because, I think, Moore had no idea where he was taking the story. He was more interested in "Let's put them in this situation and see how the characters react and relate to each other." Once you can see that as the driving force in the show, it really loses its appeal.

It was, decidedly, not perfection.

I didn't mind Moore's reliance on interpersonal drama, but I think it overtook the show and the actual story we were supposed to be watching, to the point where that story became an afterthought, and Moore was more just playing The Sims: Stuck On a Spaceship Edition. The first season was terrific. After that, it lost a lot of steam because, I think, Moore had no idea where he was taking the story. He was more interested in "Let's put them in this situation and see how the characters react and relate to each other." Once you can see that as the driving force in the show, it really loses its appeal.

It was, decidedly, not perfection.

I agree except that I felt that the show lost steam a bit later, during the New Caprica portion of the series. To me, that part felt like they had started to run out of steam and needed to buy themselves some time to figure out where they wanted to take the show.

I also felt that the show was, generally, at its best whenever it dealt with the main plot line(s). Whenever they had stand alone episodes is where, for me, the show really goes off the rails and pulls all sorts of nonsense out of thin air. Things like the Apollo being suicidal, we get absolutely no hints of that prior to that episode and once the episode is finished, it's never addressed again as if it never happened. Same with the blackmarket episode, while it makes sense that there would be one, we, once again, get no hint of it before the episode and never again afterwards. This is why I feel that serialized shows tend to better with a lower episode count, that way the show runners/writers don't have to make filler episodes that do nothing to move the overall plot of the show along and are just there to pad the episode count.

I agree except that I felt that the show lost steam a bit later, during the New Caprica portion of the series. To me, that part felt like they had started to run out of steam and needed to buy themselves some time to figure out where they wanted to take the show.

I also felt that the show was, generally, at its best whenever it dealt with the main plot line(s). Whenever they had stand alone episodes is where, for me, the show really goes off the rails and pulls all sorts of nonsense out of thin air. Things like the Apollo being suicidal, we get absolutely no hints of that prior to that episode and once the episode is finished, it's never addressed again as if it never happened. Same with the blackmarket episode, while it makes sense that there would be one, we, once again, get no hint of it before the episode and never again afterwards. This is why I feel that serialized shows tend to better with a lower episode count, that way the show runners/writers don't have to make filler episodes that do nothing to move the overall plot of the show along and are just there to pad the episode count.
agree Riceball - There were a lot of filler episodes with the BSG series. some good, and some not so good, but I watched all episodes five times through so far. I got Caprica on sale a year or so ago, but haven't watched it once after the original run, maybe someday I will try to watch it again.

Reboot of a reboot. How meta.
The reboot, at first, was good as I could accept this was a real military organization for the most part. They treated is as a real aircraft carrier in space. But eventually, it started crumbling apart. If they could have it during the Cylon war, you could have that go on for many seasons. Heck, you could have the war end and show the characters coping with a peacetime existence (mirroring almost any era in human history).
Sorry, but if you can't keep my attention after 7 or 8 episodes, you are not worthy of my time. I don't owe this show my time.
Funny, that's exactly what I've said to people yelling at me that I'm not into "Stranger Things." I kept falling asleep watching them and gave up!
After that, it lost a lot of steam because, I think, Moore had no idea where he was taking the story.
Ironically, this is exactly one of the things that doomed the original series. After a while, it got tiring watchin them outwit Baltar again and again...

Funny, that's exactly what I've said to people yelling at me that I'm not into "Stranger Things." I kept falling asleep watching them and gave up!Ironically, this is exactly one of the things that doomed the original series. After a while, it got tiring watchin them outwit Baltar again and again...

I think its an Apple to Oranges comparison for a 2 season run show vs the 7 season run show. All BSG fans want to ignore G80 like it never happened LOL. Baltar's head was originally severed in the original theater run but that didn't play well for TV. I'm sure Specter or Lucifer could have done well on their own However I enjoyed the play between Lucifer and Baltar. John was a stellar actor and was happy to see him continue in Star Trek.

I watched the first Season of Stranger things and stopped there. I just could not get into it.

I enjoyed the new Galactica !!

Baltar's head was originally severed in the original theater run but that didn't play well for TV.
Thanks for that, I used to argue with people that I was sure I'd seen it (the comic adaptation has Baltar being executed as well), but I never could find confirmation of it in the pre-internet era. Frankly, I'd long ago forgotten all about it until just now...

Thanks for that, I used to argue with people that I was sure I'd seen it (the comic adaptation has Baltar being executed as well), but I never could find confirmation of it in the pre-internet era. Frankly, I'd long ago forgotten all about it until just now...
Your welcome ! It was implied and the scene was cut away before the strike but everybody knew what happened. Later in the TV run the Imperious Leader would Command Hold and Baltar was spared. Even more interesting was the opening monologue was from Sir Patrick MacNee of the Avengers fame that would later manifest as Count Iblis.

Don't get me started on the various definition of Centons which changed almost every episode. Honestly I think they were figuring it out as they went along until G80 when they just gave up.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back