New Martian helmet model and build

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Empiricus

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Thanks, I may make something that is closer to screen but it may be very uncomfortable to wear for longer periods. I Need some air around the neck or I get crazy in 15 minutes. It would only require a new neck ring.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

shaunsheep

5401B1FC-9FAF-4C70-9B9A-A9A3EEECD7F9.jpeg C0B3FBDD-0447-40AA-91B5-07575FBCE1BB.jpeg Here’s were I am with mine thanks to my son, he decided that I hadn’t made enough progress and while I was out food shopping he glued the two sides on locked up my shed and I found these the following day...... the question I have now is two fold firstly the two back sections don’t meet do I try to fill this or secondly why don’t they meetdo I try to separate and work out a fix any help would be greatfull.

Kiwimaddog

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
View attachment 1283571 View attachment 1283572 Here’s were I am with mine thanks to my son, he decided that I hadn’t made enough progress and while I was out food shopping he glued the two sides on locked up my shed and I found these the following day...... the question I have now is two fold firstly the two back sections don’t meet do I try to fill this or secondly why don’t they meetdo I try to separate and work out a fix any help would be greatfull.
Ouch...
So, Here's my input. You need to break them apart again. On my model, only the upper part is split and the idea is to use the metallic insert to help keep the sections fixed. If I were in your position, I would reprint the metallic insert again as a complete, break apart what's glued and fix the outer shell-pieces separately before attaching the lower metallic carrier piece. That, btw, does not really need to be glued but sits pretty good when just pushed in place.
Just filling the gap won't do you any good since then the upper dome-part won't fit.

Empiricus

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Not my model as my design isn't published yet so I really can't give any input on this. Next time print two one for you and one for your son to encourage him.

Last edited:

Empiricus

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
As many are asking. The stls will be made available soon, I am just very busy in the moment given these crazy times. I can't take on any commissions right now for that reason also.

All was printed in Atomic gun metal gray PETG. I prefer PETG for props as it is easier to post process and more flexible compared to PLA. Wet sanding to 800 or 1000 grid gives a nice surface for primers. PLA can be polished super smooth for a great feel, but requires three times more labor as it is much harder. Unless you enjoy the polishing by itself that is which is an entirely acceptable past time of course.

dervogt

I´ve liked the Design of the Martian Helmet so much, that i decided to buy the files from Kiwimaddog. It was a very fun Build and everything worked great. It still missed the Visors. They will follow hopefully next year.
Please enjoy the pics.

Martian_01.jpg

Martian_02.jpg

Martian_03.jpg

Martian_05.jpg

Martian_06.jpg

Martian_07.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.