New Martian helmet model and build

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Empiricus

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
My compressor was too weak to expand the acrylic fast enough. Also I bet Weta is using an oven to control expansion better. I decided to model a dome based on the measurements I get on the finished helmet. If I have some mm deviation here and there I can account for it. Probably negative silicone lined form. If I find a used compressor with a large tank I might try again to expand the dome.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Empiricus

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The Base of the helmet coming together.

Attachments

• IMG_2893_DxO-1.jpg
    IMG_2893_DxO-1.jpg
    897.3 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_2894_DxO.jpg
    IMG_2894_DxO.jpg
    830.1 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_2896_DxO.jpg
    IMG_2896_DxO.jpg
    803.1 KB · Views: 288

Empiricus

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Need to find a better Nasa emblem. These poor qualilty ones won't due. Can anyone recommend a source for better about 2 inch Nasa vinyls?

Attachments

• IMG_2911_DxO.jpg
    IMG_2911_DxO.jpg
    716.1 KB · Views: 224

Kiwimaddog

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Need to find a better Nasa emblem. These poor qualilty ones won't due. Can anyone recommend a source for better about 2 inch Nasa vinyls?

I bought some water decal transfer sheets and printed an emblem(free .ai file found on google) onto these. Worked pretty well I think.
IMG-8219.JPG

Empiricus

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Finally time to assemble. Over 50 parts. Still a lot of detail work and I need to print all the gratuitous decals. Time to order the electronics - there goes another $150. Then I can focus on the dome and the head strap. Also need to find a snoopy cap. Was good to wait with the dome as the dimensions turned out a little different from the 3D model I did after printing sanding and painting.
IMG_2926_DxO.jpg

Last edited:

Empiricus

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Did some foam pads for the head harness. These are visible in screen captures. They have a line imprinted and are whitish on the outside. I printed a stamp to impress onto grey foam and spray painted the surface.
IMG_2952_DxO.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2383b.jpg
    IMG_2383b.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 212
  • IMG_2927_DxO.jpg
    IMG_2927_DxO.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_2928_DxO.jpg
    IMG_2928_DxO.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_2929_DxO.jpg
    IMG_2929_DxO.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_2930_DxO.jpg
    IMG_2930_DxO.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 200

Empiricus

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Finished the decals. Outside is done and ready for weathering. Working on the head harness. Adafruit feather I want is back ordered again so darn on the electronics. I used Royal elements water decals for inkjet printers and sealed with Alclad Gloss Klear Kote. Aqua gloss Clear would also work.
?hash=d36d5abeb31ef115f1d5dd8392dec930.jpg
IMG_9967_DxO.jpg
IMG_9960_DxO.jpg
IMG_9954_DxO_DxO.jpg
IMG_9964_DxO_DxO.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9958_DxO.jpg
    IMG_9958_DxO.jpg
    828.2 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

Empiricus

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Finished the head harness. Some changes for comfort. Couldn't find the right material for the head band and my sewing stinks, so printed a mold and cast it from silicone. Also the yellow sensors are silicone. Now I waiting for the back ordered electronics.
IMG_9969_DxO.jpg
IMG_9977_DxO.jpg
IMG_9983_DxO.jpg
IMG_9985_DxO.jpg

Last edited:

Empiricus

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
All weathered up and the electronics installed. I used powder weathering from Humbrol and Milk powder paint. It is easy to adjust and remove if need be.
IMG_0133_DxO.jpg

IMG_0135_DxO.jpg

IMG_0125_DxO.jpg

IMG_0126_DxO.jpg
IMG_0121_DxO.jpg

IMG_0136_DxO.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0133_DxO.jpg
    IMG_0133_DxO.jpg
    803.7 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

Empiricus

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I did a neck silicon cover for the helmet. In the movie there are two different ones. This one makes most sense to me. Did 4 layers of Dragon skin FX-Pro in a 3D printed form. First layer tinted black. Talcum and some Milk powder weathering.
IMG_3590_DxO.jpg
IMG_3592_DxO.jpg

laellee

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Wow, beautiful. And it's within the '98%', the percentage I came up with for the 98% that is NOT ADDICTED to prop accuracy like we are here :) Seriously, that looks better than the screen-used, well done.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.