New Hasbro Toy Lightsabers

I am glad you posted it.

I agree with you about the gloss paint. The first thing I thought when I saw it come out of the box is how cheap it made the hilt look not to mention it does not seem to be accurate as well.

I think one thing we have to remember about laser scanning is that it is basically the first step in the product design process and is better than starting from scratch and drawing it out and eliminates human error. However, that does not mean that once they have the scan for the base, they cannot alter it for functional, cost, or overall ascetic reasons. I sort of think of when some one says a product was laser scanned, it's like when they say a movie is based on a true story... There is going to be some changes from the original material.

The broken blade is bad. I would have had that thing boxed up and ready to return/exchange right after the first video.

I personally think a sticker or even a scratched out representation is not a good idea. IMHO, if you don't have a real crackle pulsing through the blade, then don't do it. My limited electronic thinking mind conceives of an idea where the blade is split in separate LED systems. The white potion of the blade outline would be a consistent white, but the middle portion that is black would be self contained. The black area would be for the most part black plastic except for the crackle area which is dark tinted (I am thinking about the LOTR Sting that looked like metal but would glow blue). The black section would have a LED system that would have random shot scrolling effect traveling throughout the blade which would illuminate the crackle sections from time to time. I do not know how doable this is or even if it is cost effective for Hasbro's price points.

I personally don't like to bad mouth Hasbro. There are many instances where I think they are brilliant but then they do something and I like.. WTF. Sometimes I know it might have to do with keeping costs down, tech limitations, or which age group they are trying to attract. I got the Ahsoka BS elite lightsaber a few months ago. In general, I like it... I don't love it. I got it because like the hilt design and the character. My biggest, WTF moment was the kyber crystal feature. It does not stay in the hilt. And when you want it to light up, you have to shove it down the hilt for the hilt chamber to get some charge, pull it out, and it temporally lights up. Ok, I'll do that once or twice but what's the point from there on?

I closing, I think we should keep perspective. There are a lot of replica prop lovers out there and not everyone has the funds to go the fan made route. Today, you can pay $250 and up just for an empty hilt and then $1000 plus for electronics, parts, and install. I think for what you pay, things like the GE Legacy and BS FX Elite are great deals for building a collection and if you don't think they are perfect, then do some mods. Here on this board, we have always done more with less. Remember that this board has done some great replicas from sink tubes, toys, plastic rubies costuming accessories , and etc. However the one thing to consider with anything buy... Does it spark joy in some way? If not, then it is not worth keeping. For each person, the answer will be different.

I am glad you posted it.

I agree with you about the gloss paint. The first thing I thought when I saw it come out of the box is how cheap it made the hilt look not to mention it does not seem to be accurate as well.

I think one thing we have to remember about laser scanning is that it is basically the first step in the product design process and is better than starting from scratch and drawing it out and eliminates human error. However, that does not mean that once they have the scan for the base, they cannot alter it for functional, cost, or overall ascetic reasons. I sort of think of when some one says a product was laser scanned, it's like when they say a movie is based on a true story... There is going to be some changes from the original material.

The broken blade is bad. I would have had that thing boxed up and ready to return/exchange right after the first video.

I personally think a sticker or even a scratched out representation is not a good idea. IMHO, if you don't have a real crackle pulsing through the blade, then don't do it. My limited electronic thinking mind conceives of an idea where the blade is split in separate LED systems. The white potion of the blade outline would be a consistent white, but the middle portion that is black would be self contained. The black area would be for the most part black plastic except for the crackle area which is dark tinted (I am thinking about the LOTR Sting that looked like metal but would glow blue). The black section would have a LED system that would have random shot scrolling effect traveling throughout the blade which would illuminate the crackle sections from time to time. I do not know how doable this is or even if it is cost effective for Hasbro's price points.

I personally don't like to bad mouth Hasbro. There are many instances where I think they are brilliant but then they do something and I like.. WTF. Sometimes I know it might have to do with keeping costs down, tech limitations, or which age group they are trying to attract. I got the Ahsoka BS elite lightsaber a few months ago. In general, I like it... I don't love it. I got it because like the hilt design and the character. My biggest, WTF moment was the kyber crystal feature. It does not stay in the hilt. And when you want it to light up, you have to shove it down the hilt for the hilt chamber to get some charge, pull it out, and it temporally lights up. Ok, I'll do that once or twice but what's the point from there on?

I closing, I think we should keep perspective. There are a lot of replica prop lovers out there and not everyone has the funds to go the fan made route. Today, you can pay $250 and up just for an empty hilt and then $1000 plus for electronics, parts, and install. I think for what you pay, things like the GE Legacy and BS FX Elite are great deals for building a collection and if you don't think they are perfect, then do some mods. Here on this board, we have always done more with less. Remember that this board has done some great replicas from sink tubes, toys, plastic rubies costuming accessories , and etc. However the one thing to consider with anything buy... Does it spark joy in some way? If not, then it is not worth keeping. For each person, the answer will be different.
completely agree with you, i already have a ticket in with hasbro, i doubt they will do anything because by ripping it all apart i probably ruined the warranty lol

my whole thing is, people throw the terminology around "laser scanned" which makes the audience believe its a 1:1 mirror of the real props. kind of like what they did to the black series helmets, i am super impressed with the helmets. but this dark saber... hard pass now

thats why i re-edited the ending, im sure there are many people out there that are excited for it, and its good enough for them. but i feel like i was mislead the whole time.. lesson learned i guess.

im gonna quit whining now lol

im going to go youtube the ahsoka crystal chamber, thats the first of heard of it having a crystal chamber. is this the one the discontinued because of sharp edges in the metal?

Both the Revan and Ahsoka sabers have the Kyber crystals.

IMG_20210109_152329__01.jpgIMG_20210109_152717__01__01.jpgCollageMaker_20210628_175617723.jpg

Since the purpose of the crystals is simply a separate display piece as opposed to an integrated function or design piece, they should have just made it with its own battery.
That would be good idea. I took one apart out of curiosity and there is a small button battery. I think the hilt charges the crystal battery. The light only last 1-3 minutes before it fades off.

After watching your video, as well as a Disney hilt comparison, I can’t say I’m going to buy either one of them now.

I was talking with Obi sane last night.. when I went to show him the blade we realized the blade is permanently on a angle…

4F2B58EF-DEA8-4A0F-BA54-A5A0163B9289.png

I am thinking about canceling my Black Series Rey Lightsaber. It looks pretty good and I am positive I can get those wrappings looking better. It’s nice the hilt ignites with the twisting mechanism but a little disappointed (but not surprised) that you have to use your fingers to open the emitter plate. I still feel like what you get for the money is really good but at the end of the day this particular hilt isn’t something I am excited about. Most of the time I get excited when they get announced and want to jump on before the pre sales sell out. But over time the excitement wears off. In the future, I would not mind adding such Black Series hilts such as Dark Saber, Leia, and Rey to my collection but I think it will only be in the event that I get a good sale price on them.

Currently, I am more excited about the Legacy Temple Guard staff I have on preorder and would love to get ahold of a Legacy Maul combination that was released (halves sold separately).

e6deddc0-2c12-4681-89cd-2ec47a45be89-jpeg.jpg

I was talking with Obi sane last night.. when I went to show him the blade we realized the blade is permanently on a angle…

View attachment 1520398
My Blade is the exact same way, has a slight bend in it, even after sitting it flat for 3 days it still has the bend. I'm also pretty unhappy with the saber, my main grip is the ignition button not being tactile especially since thats exactly where you naturally want to hold the hilt. You constantly turn it off and off unintentionally.

My Blade is the exact same way, has a slight bend in it, even after sitting it flat for 3 days it still has the bend. I'm also pretty unhappy with the saber, my main grip is the ignition button not being tactile especially since thats exactly where you naturally want to hold the hilt. You constantly turn it off and off unintentionally.
Is you blade not lit up here as well?
0B7B0A5A-E88C-4B81-83AD-B6B0D2DA2AD0.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back