New guy says hi. Plus cthulhu sculpt pics.

timmo

Hi people of the forum. Just wanted to say hi, its my first post.

This site was full of great information during my recent transition into mask making. Ive always been into sculpture and drawing, but never took the plunge to invest in proper supplies to undertake something big.

But anyway, I recently created a full head mask in latex, from the design and sculpt, through the aweful but rewarding mould process, to the casting and painting.

So just wanted to share the work and say thanks for all the information I found here.

View attachment 390847
Early form. i used a fairly cheap oil clay known as pongo. Im in italy and it's everywhere, nothing special, but budget was low on this first attempt.
View attachment 390848
Smoothing out the basic form.
View attachment 390850
Most the texture finished.
View attachment 390852
Front half of plaster mould. I couldnt source Ultracal or similar plaster in italy, so took a risk with a basic plaster mixed with regular quickset cement. Captured a lot of detail and not much hassle even with some undercuts. (i did make a boo boo by forgetting pry point, then scraping back plaster to put them in a hurry, not as neat as I hoped to get it. but the mold held up and produced:
View attachment 390851
first cast in latex. seam was pretty thick, due to my overzelous application of vaseline in the mold. closes, but not tight enough.
IMG_0035.JPG

And here she is after the paint job. I made my own paints by mixing acrylic and latex. thinned with ammonia. All done with a sponge as I have not invested in a airbrush just yet.. if I sell some of this work thatll be my first stop. Maily because after all that stabing with the sponge I kept getting little crumbly bits stuck everywhere. second and third paintjobs came out much smoother, as I replaced the sponge more often and nailed the consistency.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed, any criticism is totally welcome. Also if anyone is interested I might post my recent pop-surrealist bunny mask. it's massive, even witout the huge ears.

Peace
IMG_9984.JPG

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back