New Foam Mask on the board

Pestvic

So I decided to try and make a wolf mask for now until I can convince myself to buy a mask on the board haha.
Anyway, I went with the foam method I saw on youtube by a member here called predattack.

here is what I have so far. If you guys want step by step progress pics let me know and ill post pics on how I got to this pic :p

photo-3.jpg

Right now im working on mouth details then mandibles :mad:

I'm HOPEFULLY going to be able to finish this before Halloween, I'm trying by the 15th but I doubt that will happen. anyway ill continue to post progress when I can :D Thanks for watching!

Edit: forgot to mention this fits Caseys wolf bio perfectly. I started building this mask in the bio to make sure it fit

Woot!

Foam! Looking nice! I like working with that stuff too & looks like you've got a lot of experince with it there. Saft to say we're all looking forward to 'Step by Step' eveolution pics as you go.

Good luck

Cathat

Woot!

Foam! Looking nice! I like working with that stuff too & looks like you've got a lot of experince with it there. Saft to say we're all looking forward to 'Step by Step' evolution pics as you go.

Good luck

Cathat

Haha thanks man! im pretty happy with it also, but this is the first time for me ever working with foam :p and for sure ill keep posting either video updates or pics :mad:

ok so i have progress.

i added the chin piece (which ill add onto later to the neck)
photo12.jpg

photo13.jpg

here i have added a mandible
photo1.jpg

and here is the other side
photo2-5.jpg

heres how it sits on the chin
photo3-3.jpg

btw I shape and cut everything on this mask with scissors. here's how I shaped the mandibles round
It starts out like this
photo11.jpg

and heres the shaping with scissors
photo4-2.jpg

heres an ok pic on the progress of rounding
photo5.jpg

photo6.jpg

so after you round it, i cut it on the inside so that it sits on the face more flush and doesnt "bulge" the foam
photo9.jpg

heres how its looking from the crown down to the mandibles, the angle looks pretty flat and i believe correct. It sits in Caseys wolf bio perfectly
photo15.jpg

and heres my favorite. my gf took a picture of it with an app on her iphone. it looks awesome! (you can see me starting the upper mandibles also)
photo-4.jpg

forgot to mention this is what im using to glue everything. its the only thing that had foam on the can haha
photo14.jpg

Here is the upper mandibles added (i decided to keep both mandibles on my wolf, but still have the messed up face)
photo17.jpg

photo12-1.jpg

i cut a really thin layer of foam and added the skin to the mandibles. i cut the thin layer with a hobby knife (xacto blade)
photo11-1.jpg

photo19.jpg

here is how i cut the mandible to compensate for the thickness of the skin so it sits flush
photo16.jpg

the finished look
photo17-1.jpg

Then did the other side (the clean side)
photo9-1.jpg

Pics of both sides with skin
photo20.jpg

photo7-1.jpg

photo10-1.jpg

more coming soon

i still need to add skin here
photo8-1.jpg

and here
photo21.jpg

next i added copper wire
photo5-1.jpg

found in coaxial cable. (i got mine free from some charter guys that worked on my house and had some scrap they were throwing away)
photo6-1.jpg

photo4-3.jpg

This allowed me to maneuver the mandibles to closed position
photo3-4.jpg

Which allowed the mask to fit even more perfectly
photo2-6.jpg

photo1-1.jpg

photo-5.jpg

Here is some videos on how to strip the coaxial and cut the copper wire
http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b116/Vic...nt=IMG_0476.mp4
http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b116/Vic...nt=IMG_0477.mp4

anyway i forgot to mention that i shaved down the lower mandibles flush to the face before i added the skin (like i did with the upper mandibles)

Thanks for looking! ill post more as i get more done.

I have some questions also, i plan on latexing this mask. i didnt find anything in the search, so what should i use? regular latex found at spirit halloween? or should i order some mask latex?

also how much will the latex shrink the mask?

Thanks guys!

looks great . its the same route i went . looks great . i love the way you got the bio mask to fit perfect . the bio mask i picked up was to small for the way my face came out . so now i have to make a mask to fit it . great work . cant wait to see it finished!

looks great . its the same route i went . looks great . i love the way you got the bio mask to fit perfect . the bio mask i picked up was to small for the way my face came out . so now i have to make a mask to fit it . great work . cant wait to see it finished!

what did you use to harden the mask? did you use latex? and what kind?

That will help a ton :)

Hey buddy,

If your looking for latex get this stuff right here http://www.monstermakers.com/product/RD407...-and-Props.html

I'm assuming its the same latex this guy used here with his mask created from foam - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIwM2czuaK4

His mask came out awesome.

This is the only latex i've heard of beside the latex from the halloween stores. As for the shrinkage I have yet to cast anything out of the latex I purchased. I just used it to mix my acrylics and paint my dreads and my predator hands and feet. Though I've read if you don't seal the paint it'll crack with moving parts. My hands cracked a litte bit but they were such a tight fit after I modded em a bit I haven't seen the latex cracking since I've worn em (several times). Your mask looks great man I can't wait to see it finished.

You could always shoot him a message to I dont want to give you any false info he was at NYCC I dunno if he is a member on here though.

Hey buddy,

If your looking for latex get this stuff right here http://www.monstermakers.com/product/RD407...-and-Props.html

I'm assuming its the same latex this guy used here with his mask created from foam - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIwM2czuaK4

His mask came out awesome.

This is the only latex i've heard of beside the latex from the halloween stores. As for the shrinkage I have yet to cast anything out of the latex I purchased. I just used it to mix my acrylics and paint my dreads and my predator hands and feet. Though I've read if you don't seal the paint it'll crack with moving parts. My hands cracked a litte bit but they were such a tight fit after I modded em a bit I haven't seen the latex cracking since I've worn em (several times). Your mask looks great man I can't wait to see it finished.

You could always shoot him a message to I dont want to give you any false info he was at NYCC I dunno if he is a member on here though.

awesome man yeah i saw that latex online already. thats the kind i wanted. but i needed the mask earlier. so i just used latex from the store. it actually worked really good. it came out a little porous because of the foam. so im trying to fill it with the paint. anyway, its just a temp mask because im going to buy one soon anyway. but yeah ill post progress pics really soon. i started the dreads and teeth and painting the whole thing white :p

So I'm about to post progress pictures and I'm on the paint stage (so I think anyway) but I'm wondering what can I do to fill the pores in the foam? I've tried 2-3 layers of latex, and a lot of layers of paint. Still no luck. Any ideas?
Thanks everyone :)

ok guys i know its been forever but this will be a good post im uploading the pictures now. maybe some party pictures too haha. but after they upload i will be posting new progress pics, and also a magnet bio/mask tutorial

alrighty guys so here is the progress. from the last time i posted i started making dreads out of foam (and yes this WHOLE mask dreads and all was made with one foam roll i bought at walmart for like 18 bucks) haha

photo11-3.jpg

photo10-3.jpg

i started sculpting the teeth i used sculpty and baked them

photo12-2.jpg

then test fitted on the mask using toothpicks (which later attaches to the copper wire)

photo18-2.jpg

photo17-3.jpg

i then painted the dreads black as a test. looked pretty rad

photo9-3.jpg

so while i finished latexing the mouth, waiting for it to dry i moved on to redrawing the "muscles" on the head (or whatever they are called on the wolf haha) and started cutting out the lines to create ridges and bumps of the mucles.

photo25.jpg

photo26.jpg

photo6-3.jpg

i then started cutting the damage on the left side of the wolfs face

photo5-3.jpg

at this point i thought it looked pretty rad haha. but i knew it needed horns. so i started making them one by one. i kinda went for my own P2/Wolf look here so i just started adding what looked good to me and came up with this

photo4-5.jpg

Then of course started latexing it when i liked it

photo3-6.jpg

(oh yeah right, i added the teeth after painting them pale yellow white with acrylic paint)
photo2-8.jpg

my Girlfriends little brother had a blast with it.

ad326304.jpg

9cf15924.jpg

heres how it looks fromt he side. i love that lifted horn look. adds a nice curve to the head that points up at the end

photo-7.jpg

photo1-3.jpg

at this point i got sidetracked decorating the house with decorations. so i decided to mess with the fog machine and catch these photos :eek:

photo14-2.jpg

photo20-2.jpg

(it was outside so the fog didnt stay to well like it does inside)

anyway this is what i came up with so far
ea1a202b.jpg

i added more dreads then test painted and came up with this... it was ok i guess. i really need an air brush

d3468f5f.jpg

77de0336.jpg

b9df2c69.jpg

side view again. i Love the head angles
8a01f2ce.jpg

more temporary dreads (i will be purchasing some "seconds" dreads from casey soon)
b3162379.jpg

at this point i added the bio with magnets
http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?showtopic=21206
b746fb9b.jpg

e5045048.jpg

1b2f8c09.jpg

anyway. i decided to get some spray cans and use acrylic paints and sprayed this up. I'm actually pretty happy with it enough to want to permawet the paintjob. but i dont have any. does anyone know permawet alternative? (i didnt find an answer on the search)

13c9bc65.jpg

Damage

fa2d198a.jpg

395ebf26.jpg

teeth

5f020e0c.jpg

side views

8422ba8e.jpg

29e99cc1.jpg

started a Mr. I suit
28d00016.jpg

took some pics :p
71e84f02.jpg

anyway all in all it came out awesome I think. At least good enough to satisfy me for halloween (im pretty picky on things looking at LEAST pretty decent or good haha)

Thanks everyone for watching and dont forget to look at the Bio to mask Magnet tutorial!!
http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?showtopic=21206

edit: forgot i need to add the bottom teeth and a lot more dreads oops

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back