New budget build huntorial (Work in progress)

lunatech

Hello All!

I have been a casual lurker here for a while now and have finally decided I can't wait any longer to build my first suit! My goal for completion is Halloween 2010.

I have been an admirer of work done here by the likes of ShockWolF, keefer, MacGuyver, VinMan, PredatrHuntr, hez, Uratz, Preds, predmaniac, and many many others. Their work has inspired me and gave me the confidence to start building.

My goal is to assemble the knowledge and experience I will have gained from this community and use it to put together a new/updated budget huntorial (similar to ShockWolF's). I am hoping to combine the best tips and tricks I can find (and perform) into a single build. I'll document each step and phase taken so newbies can follow along and see just what is possible. I want to focus on home building and doing things in a way that makes them accessible to the average person. I will be posting my plans and progress, please chime in if you see me going about something the wrong way or if there is a better way to do them. I want to make the huntorial as efficient as possible (while still offering a decent level of quality).

A little background on me: back in college and highschool (10 years or so ago) I did special effects make up. I spent most of my time working in wax and building simple latex appliances. I've never sculpted anything as large as a bio though and I am waaaaaaaaaaaay out of practice. I've always dreamed of a predator costume, so I figure this would be a great way to get back into the swing of things.

--------------------------------------
Starting off - shopping for basics
--------------------------------------
I have purchased a Rubies Mask+Bio, they can be had a for steal (got mine for $25 during a Nov. 1st, Halloween 50% off sale).
For the body, I have purchased a common Muscle shirt sold in local Halloween/costume shops.
I found some monster hands without palms that fit well and shouldn't get too sweaty.
Lastly, I got some leg avenue fishnets that I believe will go well with the costume.

----------------------
Basic plans - Mask
----------------------
predator002.th.jpg.png

$25 (includes below bio)
I must say, I'm fairly impressed by the Rubies mask. Maybe my expectations were just set really low by other reviews, but I think the paint job is good and the design decent. It's not going to make any adult believe they're looking into the eyes of a real predator, but it definitely cuts it as an affordable mask.

I have not yet decided if I will cut the face out as keefer did in his huntorial. I would like to have the option of removing the bio to show the mask, however, I do have my doubts that the mask will be usable this way. It is just so large and very hard to see out of with the bio on. I will be adding upholstery foam soon to try and get a better fit. I will also be adding backer rod dreds with painted PVC rings.

--------------------
Basic plans - Bio
--------------------
predator004.th.jpg.png

$25 (includes above mask)
I will first upgrade the Rubies bio. I want to install LEDs in the bio and attach it to the mask using earth magnets. I will also replace the mesh eyes with wire form or tint (I'll likely try both to see which I prefer).

However this will mostly be for reference. It seems to me the bio is the single most important part of the costume and the plastic Rubies one just falls short. There are so many beautiful pre-made bio's out there I have been tempted to just buy one. I know a homemade one won't be as nice and will likely take a lot of time, BUT, there is something to be said for making your own bio. I want to hold my very own bio...no matter what it looks like. I have to try at least. :D As I mentioned above, I haven't tried sculpting in years and I've never done anything so complex or large as a bio. I am leaning towards trying to build out a Pepakura bio first and then try my hand at a foam sculpted one like MacGuyver demonstrated. I am open to suggestions.

---------------------
Basic plans - Skin
---------------------
predator001.th.jpg.png

$15
The Mr. I latex suits are amazing. In a perfect world I would be making one of those. However, they require a lot of time to build and space to store. I have seen the results of painted muscle suits and believe that will be sufficient for my needs. I also think that the fishnetting, armor, and bio draw the eyes away from the skin and gives you a lot of flexibility to cut a corner here.

I plan to use fabric paint to color the suit. I don't have legs yet, but am planning to buy "flesh" colored tights that I will paint to match.

-----------------------
Basic plans - Hands
-----------------------
predator005.th.jpg.png

$5
The official AVP Predator (Rubies) hands+gauntlet are horrible. They are HUGE, don't breathe, and the gauntlet looks like flattened latex.

I found these and they fit very well. The palms are cut out to allow for better breathing. I am planning to air-brush them, though the purchase of an air-brush greatly increases my costs. Is there a better method for painting?

---------------------
Basic plans - Feet
---------------------
I checked out 7 costume shops yesterday, the only feet I could find were gorilla feet, with "definitely-not Predator" toes and fur. Unless I can find something usable I am planning to sculpt mine out of foam ala VinMan. Anyone know of a good costume set?

-----------------------
Basic plans - Armor
-----------------------
Again inspired by VinMan's work, I am going to try my hand at making it with Sintra sign plastic. I will likely try to attach it to some existing hockey gear as demonstrated by ShockWolF.

-----------------------------
Basic plans - Accessories
-----------------------------
predator003.th.jpg.png

$15
Just little odds.

-------------
Next Steps
-------------
I'm going to move on getting the mask ready first and the minor upgrades to the Rubies bio, just so I have something to show and get excited over. o_O Please again, if there are any oversights, better ways to do things, or flaws in my plans, let me know!

predator002.th.jpg.png

predator004.th.jpg.png

predator001.th.jpg.png

predator005.th.jpg.png

predator003.th.jpg.png

Welcome to the Lair mate, think everyone here has started out trying to do it all on a budget. I took the same approach as yourself 3 years ago and this year ended up buying top end masks and bio. Be warned this hobby is addictive!! Good luck.

Yo brother,

welcome. If you need any advice concerning my huntorials just give a shout. I have some backer rod, a bunch. Three different diameters, be happy to let you have it for way less Than I paid for it I have the large 1.5 inch which is key for the longer ones. I have over $65 into it. I will sell it for $25 + shipping.

Good luck and can't wait to see the progress.

Oh and by the way what Neil said is very true. I started out the same way. I have upgraded almost every piece of my costume from what I originally started with. Some pieces three times and more. You can deffinatley do some wheelin and dealin to upgrade along the way.

Thanks for the welcome guys!

I believe this hobby is addictive. I've already had a couple internal struggles over upgrading the bio, mask, and skin! I just keep reminding myself that this is a race without a finish-line. I'll try my best to keep this first iteration of the suit a budget build, I can upgrade after that. :D

Neil, I can't believe I forgot to mention you in my first post. Your Wolf is great, I was happy to see the completed suit posted!

VinMan, thanks for the offer of help. I'll definitely hit you up if I need advice on your huntorials. I'll also PM you if I need the backer rod. I'm going to check some local hardware shops first, but if I can't find it there, I'll contact you next.

Welcome to the Lair. It looks as though you're pretty organized and have a definite plan in mind. Good luck with your build.

I have a box full of bits and pieces I pick up from time to time. When you're doing things on a budget I'd advise justthoarding anything vaguely interesting, you never know what small detail it could be used for. I have swathes of materials, springs, clips, bits of hose, you name it...

Welcome to the lair, looks like you are well on you wat to a suit
I couldn't agree more with what Neil said I have a cupboard full of little bits and pieces that I have been collecting for what seems like forever, you never know what they might be useful for.
Good luck with your build

Thanks guys!

I got some more supplies to start moding the bio and mask. I'll likely start late next week. I also made a mini pepakura bio from a full body mini predator pdo that's going around. I'm planning to resin+fiberglass it just for practice before doing my real bio.

crawjaw, I did see that you once made a pepakura bio. Was it for a 1:1 mask? What height did you end up scaling to? Did you use the "Predator Helm by Spartan857"? The default height is 300mm. I printed that out but it looks small (unassembled)...human sized perhaps. 400mm seems like it may be a better fit. Do you have any input? Thanks!

As for plans, a friend asked if I was going to do something to make it easier to speak through a full face mask. Her question made me further consider making the Rubies just an undermask. Opinions? Experience?

Neil and Kelz, I'm definetly building my "bits and pieces" collection. Every time I go shopping I keep my eyes peeled for possible additions. :lol:

predator.th.jpg.png

predator.th.jpg.png

Whilst I know you are trying to keep to a budget, I would seriously consider saving up and getting a pre-made bio, maybe the mysteria scar one which isn't too dear. I started with the Mysteria P2 which worked out about £40 and it made such a difference to my first effort. Granted I went and blew serious money on Casey's Wolf this time round but it's superb looking and really makes a costume.

I owned the Rubie's mask a while back and more than speech, visibility is a major issue. I could see sod all with it on as your eyes are always quite far from the eye holes. Undermask would be my approach. Need to check with someone else whether a bio fits on it though. Hope this helps mate.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back