New Batman: Arkham game due this year?

when did montreal suddenly become the hub of game making like seattle was in the 80s?

When they started offering huge tax breaks

Tax Incentive Helps Montreal Become Videogame Central | Variety

I can easily believe Conroy has already recorded his pieces for the next Rocksteady Arkham game. Arkham City was 'content complete', as in art assets in place, VA, playable from start to finish a year before going gold. Rocksteady actually allow time for polish and post production on their titles, and it shows. I can't wait to see what they have.

As for WB Montreal's Batman game. I'm hopeful, but I'm going to wait for the reviews.

Totally.....The games are two of the very best I've had the pleasure playing...

I've finished both fully, but I still enjoy restarting them and running through it all again, simply because both games are huge enough, and full of enough interesting bits to keep it more than entertaining..(Plus, my girlfriend loves playing the fight games)..

If the new game was the same, but in a different setting somewhat (and that will be sure, Gotham before Arkham City), and with a storyline that matches the previous two? It'll be the best game of this year...I see no reason so far to doubt that that's the case...

It looks brilliant...And sounds better.....

Has there been more than the 30 second fight trailer? If not, there's nothing to base an opion of the game on at this point. That trailer has next to nothing to do with the actual game itself.

I'm going on what I've seen from the reporters of IGN on YouTube and the longer trailer...And yes, I agree that a cutscene trailer doesn't show the gameplay, but that, along with what has been reported by the guys who played a version of it seems to indicate that the game will play much like the previous two, with some interesting updates (the fight system sounds a little more interesting, reversals of counters etc)...So I was going on that report as well as the longer trailer..

Not enough to be sure about liking it, but enough for me to say that (so far) it's looking damned good and on course to be one hell of a game...

That's all....More than enough to start forming a decent opinion about the game's look..If not it's details..In my humble opinion...

Regards..

Don't know that i'd call it gameplay footage. No HUD, progress indicators, etc. It looked like in engine rendering, but that's about it.

Much more interesting though than the teaser that was put out.

Well, here's the thing.

From the gameplay video (watched with the sound off at work), this game is....basically identical to the last one. Except it's a prequel. And Gotham looks a bit different.

I view this as a double-edged sword. I definitely felt like Arkham City was a MAJOR improvement over Arkham Asylum, simply by taking the gameplay to an entirely different location, and giving it an entirely different storyline. But this one seems like it's using a LOT of resources from the last one. To me...that makes it less worth my money. I can always play the beat-em-up part of Arkham City if I want. What's this bring me? That's where the story becomes crucial.

It's not enough to just get more different-looking badguys to beat up on. There has to be something more to the game. Otherwise, it's a glorified expansion pack. A really nice one, but not worth much more than, say, $30.

Looks like even the gadgets are the same. Almost seems like its a 'keep it in the public eye' type of release so RS can work on the real sequel without the franchise losing steam.

On the plus side, i'd love an expansion pack that looked like that with the same amount of content as AC at $30 or so :) At 50 plus, not so much.

It'll retail for $50+ and you know it (unless you get it on Steam, I suppose, in which case it'll probably be $49.99). I'm saying I'll hold off on getting it, except as a gift or when it drops to $30.

I agree with the statement that it seems like an expansion. A few new areas on the map, new characters and a few new missions. I love this franchise and really hope they can still pull something off with it, but I was hoping they would just continue with the story. Having to go back in time simply to bring Joker back seems like you are running out of ideas.

If you wanted to start including members of the JL I'm ok with that to an extent, but why go backward? Only main issue I suppose. Makes it somewhat predictable to an extent. I wanted/want more gameplay options. If you are running out of gadgets to add then how about this, add the Batmobile, batwing, batboat already. Don't make it simply a small area of Gotham. Make it a large portion. And someone mentioned it maybe here or I saw it somewhere. The story doesn't have to happen in one night. Play as Bruce Wayne. Meet up with Oliver Queen in a business sense to solve something or Bart at the Police station. IDK I'm just throwing out random thoughts, but my point is why can't we just build upon the story and game play, not redo a past game with different thugs, etc. Oh! and can I please get a decent Batcave to go home to?! Do some detective work in? Something. Not a small computer and two catwalks.

Agreed. The game play was almost exactly the same... With a couple gadgets added and new skins. I'm not impressed at all. I'm actually kinda pissed.

bane-arkham-origins.png

And is it just me, but I don't like what they have done with Bane at all.

LOL....

I like the guys complaining that it's "just the same thing".....Ummm...Did you not see Arkham Asylum and Arkham City in much the same way? There were small changes, different gadgets (I'm sure there will be here too), and different settings....But the game was the game no? So...You were expecting? What? Exactly?

I dunno....I'm happy with this....The changes seem interesting enough, and the details are cool enough to keep me in on it....

I can't see the "it's the same but different" complaint holding much weight at all in all honesty....That's what was so good about Arkham City, it was the same, but different.....This? Yep...I'm still in...

Regards..

Here's a longer version of that E3 demo showing off the new detective mode and a longer cutscene at the end, also there's a 15 minute interview afterwards that answers some more questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL....

I like the guys complaining that it's "just the same thing".....Ummm...Did you not see Arkham Asylum and Arkham City in much the same way? There were small changes, different gadgets (I'm sure there will be here too), and different settings....But the game was the game no? So...You were expecting? What? Exactly?

The combat itself was very much the same between Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. However, Arkham Asylum took place largely indoors, whereas Arkham City gave you a whole cityscape to play with. My recollection was that Arkham City was MUCH larger than Arkham Asylum was. You got new gadgets and moves, too. Plus you got a ton of side missions to complete in addition to the usual collection quests. Arkham Asylum was a much larger-scale game on the whole than Arkham City was. It built upon what the former did.

But honestly, watching the gameplay in this, it looked like even the same maps taht we played in Arkham City. Like, there was one walkway between buildings and I was thinking "I've glided past that plenty of times already..."

Look at it this way. Arkham Asylum was to Arkham City what Assassin's Creed 1 was to Assassin's Creed 2. A smaller version of a very similar game.

This game appears to be more like Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, which didn't really add a ton to the game, but simply continued the same gameplay. Moreover, the story itself, while possibly cool, is a prequel, and dammit I'm sick of prequels.

What was I looking for? Obviously, it'll be very similar in terms of the core gameplay, but I was looking for considerably different settings, and much more expanded gameplay.

I mean, ok, the game may be cool, but it seems a very...timid step, and I'd much rather see the storyline moved forward. Killing the Joker at the end of Arkham City was amazing. Adding in Robin for single player was a nice touch. I'd like to see more expansion on that kind of thign. What happens to the city in the wake of the Joker's death? And I'd like to see future games give a range of playable characters, including Nightwing, Robin, and Catwoman, not as DLC, but as part of the main storyline.

So, like I said. Worth $30? Yah, probably. Worth $60? Nope.

I watched an interview that I can no longer find a few weeks ago when the first cinematic trailer came out. It was with the creative director for WB. He even stated in that interview that a large portion of the map is Gotham BEFORE it was turned into Arkham City. But then they added another part of Gotham as well. That to me tells me straight out, there is a good portion of the game that is almost the exact same as AC. So, I don't think you are mistaken Solo4114. There is a good chance we have glided past that catwalk many times.

I will still get it and play it in hopes I'm not let down, but I've stated what I wanted. Larger Batcave, vehicles, larger/different areas of Gotham, and you could add playable characters like nightwing, robin, catwoman. They already hinted to Oliver so hell even play as Green Arrow for a short bit helping Batman.

The prequel thing is getting over used a bit. The makers could have easily continued on after Joker died, similar to Harley's DLC. Batman is kind of in turmoil within himself and not doing so great. That could be why you play as other characters. Cops and citizens maybe begin to turn on Batman because he never said what happened. They just saw he killed the joker (or assume he did). No Gotham PD and citizens don't trust him and you have to fight them off on occasion but not so much to create more distrust. Things like that. Just rambling.

Now, all my complaining and worries aside about it being too similar, the new detective mode or the option to recreate the crime scene is pretty cool. I did like that option. But just to be devils advocate, this is a prequel, where was that in AA/AC? lol

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back