Netflix Recommendations Thread

Okay, I'm getting tired of Netflix cancelling most of their shows after two seasons due to the automatic increase of production costs, despite how well they might be doing, Glitch and MST3K topping my list. I'm astonished Stranger Things is going to be able to do all four seasons. Is there anything we the viewers can do to pressure them into not doing this?

How to Sell Drugs Online (Fast) is so good! Just finished season 2. It's like a Breaking Bad for kids.

Halt and Catch Fire is on Netflix!!!!!!!!!

I absolutely love this series! You don't have to be a computer programmer either but it helps. Lol!

Short of starting a pointless review thread, I thought I'd resurrect this thread for a quick spilling of my thoughts.

I didn't like Midnight Mass. People were talking how great this show was and it got me intrigued, but I found it like Squid Game: brief moments of quality just mired by loads of crap. I liked the ultimate premise of this show---how it finds an inventive way to use vampire mythology, interpreting it through Catholicism--- but found it over-written, over-acted, and anti-climactic. There are a few subdued and genuinely great performances given the material but the majority of the time it's played so big and obnoxiously so. I don't mind long dialogue sequences but everyone speaks in the same cadence and rhythm, and often in circles. One person would make a statement, repeat it, and then reiterate that same statement through a story. It was irritating to sit through a lot of it especially knowing where and how it ends.

Damn, did I wish this was better. There's genuine great stuff here but it's all so sloppy. It really feels like Mike Flanagan had this script forever and wrote it when he was a young man, but never revised it when he got the chance to actually make it. It plays so sophomorically for someone with so many projects under his belt now.

I caught a video on YouTube last night, all of the things coming up on Netflix for December and... other than Lost in Space and Witcher, which I already knew were coming, there wasn't a thing that my wife and I thought would be worth it to sit through. That's kind of sad.

I caught Power of the Dog on Netflix and while I recommend it just in support of just the great cast, I do find that the film is a bit empty. It isn't so much a "western" other than it's set in similar trappings of "the West" and it's a drama about unchecked passive-aggressiveness. That's the most frustrating part of the film for me, everything is so passive and understated and a whole happens when not a whole lot happens. It's one of those films.

I can't help but think to compare this to The Devil All the Time that was released a couple years back; the two are very similar. It's hard to not see these in the context of Disney/Marvel leads doing parts to show they can "act." I don't know how these will fair beyond initial viewings because of that. Like Devil All the Time, it's the "big" name in this that I have the most faults with: Cumberbatch, for me, is the weakest element of the film. I don't know if it's the fact that he can't do an American accent, or if it's him leaning too heavily into his performance; or if it's because I like him less as an actor every time I see him in a film, but I found him the hammiest actor of the cast. Everyone else gives really quiet, subtle performances and Cumberbatch in comparison looks like a bad Pacino impression. He plays it just a bit too big. If anything, it's his jarring acting (in the least flattering sense) that brings some kind of levity to a film that's just grim and glum a solid two hours through.

Short of starting a pointless review thread, I thought I'd resurrect this thread for a quick spilling of my thoughts.

I didn't like Midnight Mass. People were talking how great this show was and it got me intrigued, but I found it like Squid Game: brief moments of quality just mired by loads of crap. I liked the ultimate premise of this show---how it finds an inventive way to use vampire mythology, interpreting it through Catholicism--- but found it over-written, over-acted, and anti-climactic. There are a few subdued and genuinely great performances given the material but the majority of the time it's played so big and obnoxiously so. I don't mind long dialogue sequences but everyone speaks in the same cadence and rhythm, and often in circles. One person would make a statement, repeat it, and then reiterate that same statement through a story. It was irritating to sit through a lot of it especially knowing where and how it ends.

Damn, did I wish this was better. There's genuine great stuff here but it's all so sloppy. It really feels like Mike Flanagan had this script forever and wrote it when he was a young man, but never revised it when he got the chance to actually make it. It plays so sophomorically for someone with so many projects under his belt now.

It was standard Stephen King-style stuff - a reasonable if slightly stodgy story, predictable twists but competently handled - though I enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone looking to fill a few afternoons.

I very much enjoyed Hamish Linklater's performance as the priest, that was the standout part of the show for me.

I did find myself fast-forwarding through chunks of character whining... err... "development". Characters are prone to monologuing but there are some very interesting takes on different things.

I also liked the Sheriff's character, though during his big backstory dump I had the chance to go away to make a coffee, come back, realise I could do with something to go with the coffee, go away and make a sandwich, come back, and still didn't feel like I missed anything that advanced the story in any meaningful way. Before you ask "how do you know if you weren't there?", I should point out that I could still hear it from the kitchen!

Just finished watching Cowboy Bebop (live action, my daughter informs me it's based on an animated show) and I'm glad that I did. Happy to recommend if you're looking for an enjoyable not-too-serious sci-fi show.

Has flavours of Firefly - and not just because they are cowboys in space! Not as good as Firefly season one, about on a par with Firefly season two.

Just finished watching Cowboy Bebop (live action, my daughter informs me it's based on an animated show) and I'm glad that I did. Happy to recommend if you're looking for an enjoyable not-too-serious sci-fi show.

Has flavours of Firefly - and not just because they are cowboys in space! Not as good as Firefly season one, about on a par with Firefly season two.
I've been (slowly) watching Cowboy Bebop and I find it to be just ok. Of course, that's probably because I'm a big fan of the original anime that it's based on and it falls flat in comparison to the anime. To me, it feels like a very high quality and expensive fan film, it also feels like that the producers, writers, and directors can't make up their minds on whether they want to be as faithful to the original anime as possible or make it their own thing. Personally, I've found Arcane and S3 of Lost in Space to be far more enjoyable.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back