Netflix Recommendations Thread

The Christmas Chronicles is a great Christmas movie. Kid safe, some sad parts, some belly laughs but tons of fun for the family. Kurt Russel stole every scene.

Agreed. I watched it this morning. Great little Christmas movie. Great addition to my Christmas movie list. Kurt Russel can do no wrong. I hope they do another one with him as Santa. And a nice little surprise cameo at the end.

Netflix just gave me a tremendous nostalgia rush AND, in this multimedia age of endless promotions well before a release date ,the sudden thrill of a surprise : Black Mirror movie out tomorrow !!!!!

Last edited:
I hate to admit it but I had never seen any Godfather movies...Over my Christmas break I watched all 3 along with quiet a bit of bourbon! Netflix has them up until January 1st.

What is particularly interesting about "Bandersnatch" is that its been long rumoured that how the actual film plays out will depend entirely on the choices made by the viewer at some key points. Quite how they will make that work I'm unsure of at this moment, but that's part of the reason why its sudden appearance has surprised me. I expected more hyperbole. But if you watch the trailer carefully you can see that "choice" is firmly being written into it ie the references to "change", "concept," and "control".

Last edited:
Well. I think I've just seen the first original and truely successful interactive TV programme.
Whether it was a work of genius I'm uncertain about.
As a slice of the past it was astonishingly evocative, from choosing the tape soundtrack, the visit to Smiths to select the LP, the computers, the sounds of the programme playing, the overall mid 80's atmosphere, they absolutely nailed it (when I saw the book "Bandersnatch" with the "Chris Foss" cover I cheered!)
And to begin with choosing the paths was ,like that book, quite novel. Certainly the pauses between scene choice selection was excellently done and virtually seamless. The interactivity was definitely cleverly written and fitted around all the ideas in the story, and at first the branching storylines were entertaining.
But two thirds of the way through I started to get disenchanted by it all, as the outcomes and loops became more convulted and in some cases obvious. And, unfortunately, in comparison to some of the freedoms to be found in the current crop of video games it became a chore interacting with it, rather than an entertainment.
Given the probable budget and the constraints on the production as the first trial of its kind its still a hugely impressive effort. I cannot imagine any story format much better suited to the way it worked than the one they crafted.
But, did I preffer it to watching a normal film or any number of the better written and more entertaining "Black Mirror" storys?
Then the answer is no.

It was a bit lame in the way it forced you down some paths.

BTW if you want to see everything just let the program play without choosing anything.

Last edited:
So I'm binging "Russian Doll" on Netflix.

It started out reminding me of Groundhog Day, but a lot more twisted. It started getting really odd near the end. I have two more episodes and I'm hooked.

Great recommendation !!!!!

Given the release date and the obvious similarities to "Groundhog Day" I wasn't sure that this would cut the mustard, but it really does grab your attention. Four episodes in and the fish is gone? What the hell????

UPDATE!!! Finished it! What a great piece of writing!!! The ending obviously leaves it entirely open for another series but it was a satisfying conclusion nevertheless.

Last edited:
watched 'Polar" the other night.

The first five minutes i was thinking "who in the hell are all of these club kids pretending to be assassins?"

By the end i had thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Good flick.

I can't wait for The Dirt to premiere. I read of lot of rock-n-roll books in my day, but that one is by far my favorite. I've read it at least ten times.

I think one of the main reasons I go to the cinema so much less these days is Netflix.

True, there is a lot of content I'll never watch, but when they hit the mark its a dead in the middle bullseye.

"Russian Doll" and "The Umbrella Academy".

Brilliantly written ,with strong stoylines and absorbing leading characters you actually don't like but end up rooting for in the end. I'll reasdily admit they both steal their basic arc concepts from everywhere, but they do it with such panache and direction its actually refreshing to watch them do something new with the ideas.

+1 for Russian Doll. I held off until I had time to binge it, because I knew if it was good I'd have a hard time tearing myself away. Regarding the end of the season, part of what got me to watch it was a couple people who know me well telling me "it's basically 'Groundhog Day' done by David Lynch". Hoo-wee. Satisfied, but I do so want more.

I could see them doing a season 2, but it wouldn't be anywhere near as good. So I hope they leave it as it is. Subsequent viewings, you pick up a lot more subtle differences, not just the obvious ones.

Hmmm, I guess I'll wait and see. I wonder if she's going to be in the next two installments or if they're going to rehash the first season with new people in a similar fashion.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back