Netflix Recommendations Thread

Not Netflix, but might be on BBC America (its currently showing on the BBC in the UK) .

Killing Eve. Really ,really great characters and writing. Thoroughly entertaining.

Ozark Season 2, Black Panther, The Inexplicable Universe with Neil Degrasse Tyson, Bleach, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Power of Grayskull.

Couple of things well worth a watch:
"The Drop"- a great turn by Tom Hardy in this, a low key crime thriller that I really enjoyed for many,many reasons.
"Detectorists". Both seasons are up!!! Great antidote to the miserable winter, its a warm, gentle comedy about metal detectorists in the UK. Some of the jokes perhaps won't translate well across the pond but it really is one of the most charming British comedies I've seen in a while.

Also recommend. Third and I believe last season is done.

Also recommend. Third and I believe last season is done.

Yeah, caught the third and last series early this year on the BBC and its a really fitting way to finish it. Seeing Diana Rigg and her daughter in this is ever so slightly strange as I've been watching Diana in "The Avengers" reruns on TV. I had a slight tear in the eye at the very end

I also finished "Killing Eve" last night.

I'd best describe it like Hannibal Lector had a daughter Annabelle , and she grew up like the very twisted stepsister of Jason Bourne, but who is more into the killing, less of the grilling. I'd certainly never heard of the actress Jodie Comer until this series but she is simply mesmerizing as "Villenelle" and scary as hell. The rest of the characters are just as strong and interesting with an overall storyline that is quite gripping at times if not a little unoriginal.
The scripting and production are excellent, it really has this wierd "Avengers" vibe (the old British slightly surreal spy series, which I have been watching ,not Marvel ) that really works well with score. It kind of reminds me of "Nikita" but way in a darkly comic way. One of the better TV series I've caught this year.

There is something I have been wondering about with these Netflix series. Since they come out all at the same time, do they film them episode by episode or since they already have the whole story, do they just film it all at the same time? I notice each episode usually has a different director credited, so it would seem they are done one episode at a time. I'm just wondering why they would do it that way. Wouldn't it be cheaper to film all the scenes that require a certain set, then move on to the next set and film all the scenes with it and so on?

Not so much a Netflix recommendation as much as a Hulu recommendation but Stan Against Evil is something worth checking out if you have Hulu. It stars John C. McGinley as a retired sheriff of a small town whose sheriffs have all died early, often horrible, deaths since the town burned 100 something witches during the time of the Salem witch trials. He must work with his replacement, played by Janet Varney, to try to fight the evils that come to town.

If you like John C. McGinley, particularly in his role on Scrubs, you're going to love this show. As Stan, he's just as snarky and sarcastic, but add on top of that is a grumpy old man (you kids get off my lawn type) and a fair amount of non-PC attitude and you get Stan. And overall, the show has a bit of an Evil Dead Vibe in that's a horror comedy that doesn't try to take itself too seriously.

Just watching 22 July,....very harrowing film about the killing of 77 people in Oslo in 2011, directed by Paul Greengrass

A very moving film

J

"Barely Lethal" was fun. Kind of a cross between a teen romantic comedy and a spy movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
American Vandal. Hilarious! While not a movie, it's a Netflix original series, it cracked me up. It spoofs the mockumentary crime dramas perfectly.

As Above So Below is finally on Netflix. You'll either love it or hate it. I've seen it a few times and really like it.

I feel the same way. I wouldn't say it's a great movie or anything, but there's just something about it I really like. I've watched it a few times since it came out.

Watched Spectral and Extinction on Netflix today.
Spectral was OK, but I walked away to do things without even pausing it.

Extinction was surprisingly good, and I was not expecting the reveal.

If you missed it on SyFy and enjoyed the insanity of Crank and Crank 2: High Voltage, then Happy! Season 1 is currently available.

I loved, loved, LOVED "Maniac".
Kind of "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"-ish.
Emma Stone is great, Jonah Hill is great, Justin Theroux is great, Sally Field is great...
The whole darn thing is great.

The Christmas Chronicles is a great Christmas movie. Kid safe, some sad parts, some belly laughs but tons of fun for the family. Kurt Russel stole every scene.

I recently watched They'll Love Me When I'm Dead, is a documentary about the making of "The Other Side of the Wind", a unfinished movie directed by Orson Welles (Citizen Kane). The interesting part is that 30+ years later the movie was finished and released on netflix

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back